HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:24 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,092 Posts
Good electrics for windy days

NY has been taken over by the wind for months. We have had 10+ MPH winds almost every day for months with many days at 15+ and gusts over 25.

While a very experience pilot can handle such things, most electric flyers are advised not to take on such conditions, especially new flyers like myself.

This brings to mind the question of what electrics are best in wind conditions of these types. Certainly the much larger and more powerful glow planes handle this pretty well, but I am an e-flyer and would prefer to stay with electrics.

Help me out here folks. I might want to consider these for my next plane since I am so frustrated with the wind.

So, what are the best windy day electrics?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:46 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
I certainly donīt know about "the best", but I have experience flying a Kyosho Ferias and a GWS Zero in winds exceeding 15 Mph, with some gusts aproaching 25Mph.

My Zero was the lighter, slower 280 powered version, so I guess the 370 version would be even better with higher wingloading and greater power helping with the penetration.

The Ferias was more twitchy in windy condition, but in no way felt uncontrollable to me.

If the GWS Zero flies well in these winds, I guess the GWS P51 ought to do so too, they have similar wingloadings, with the P51 being sleeker and faster. To me, that would be beneficial if anything. This is just a guess though, I have no hands on experience with the GWS P51.

Generally speaking I would think that as wingloading goes up, sensitivity to wind goes down. On the other hand High wingloading is bad for a lot of other aspects of modelflight.

Iīm sure youīll get a lot of other suggestions. It might be easier to give advice if you tell us how experienced you are. What are you flying now? What models have you flown before?

Anders
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:52 AM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
aeajr,

That makes two of us who have "The winds" problem. Here in NJ also we have the same windspeeds. I've found that my friend and I have no choice but to find a well lit field at night to fly in. I don't really know what its like to fly in daylight since it was so long ago.

Perhaps a Glider with a pretty strong motor would do fairly well? I don't know much at all about them and the kind of weather they like. I, too am fairly new at flying. I have a Tigermoth, a Pico Stik, and now a Switchback. Hopefully with the Spring / Summer coming along we'll get some warmer weather. Generally those are the months where you hope you get a breeze because its really really hot out. Lets hope...
james1787 is offline Find More Posts by james1787
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:10 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
I liked my Zagi for windy days. Don't have one now. But when the ProJeti goes, it's a Zagi for sure.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:12 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Try a wing like a Zagi 400X...

I've flown it in winds that will hover it. If you dork it in, it's relatively indestructible so you just replace the battery and throw it back up. I fly it in winds that I can't imagine flying my Beaver or SS in (much less the TM or the Cub)...
flipnidaho is offline Find More Posts by flipnidaho
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:34 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,092 Posts
Zeroaltitude,

I am a brand new flyer.

I have an Aerobird, my second.
http://www1.wildhobbies.com/news/de...w&articleid=853

I took the first one out in February on a day when the winds were probably around 5-8 MPH, but the gusts were hitting 20+ ( learned later) I lost the plane to one of those big, sustained gusts. Knowing it was being carried away I ditched it, but could not find it.

Lessons learned:

1) New pilots need mild air to focus on flying rather than compensating for wind.

2) Flying alone, it is had to keep the location of a downed plane spotted

3) While the posts I have seen say an Aerobird can handle pretty brisk winds, 10-15 mph, I can't....yet.

4) Even though you are sure you know where you ditched the plane, it is hard to find. I never found mine.

5) There are things called downed plane locators that can help you find the plane, once it is down. For example this Hobico unit:
http://www.hobbico.com/accys/hcap0335.html

So, now I am gritting my teeth and waiting for calm air. Also, I have a plane locator now. The Hobico type won't work on a 27 MHZ aerobird, so I got a pair of these: http://www.keyringer.com I will put it on top of the wind like this:
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b33b641c4516

I have hear that ZAGIs are pretty good in the wind and might consider one of those next. Also, I am in a club that flies a lot of gliders, so I was considering an e-glider as my next plane as well since I would guess they should have good wind penetration.

Anyone else have recommendations? I need a plane that can handle wind.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:41 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
The MiniSpeedWing is my favorite for windy days. Just about any plane with either high wing loading or a very slick/fast design will do OK, though. My SwitchBack Sport does extremely well, too.

Most of the undercambered wing planes will have more problems with gusts than the flat bottom or semi simetrical wings...

The Wing-E from Todd's is reportedly a good one, as well...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:46 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,092 Posts
Yes, the Aerobird does have an undercamber wing. Makes for good slow to moderate speed flying and pretty good flight times. However I am told that this type of wing does not have good wind penetration. That seems to match what you are saying.
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 13, 2003 at 09:59 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:07 AM
Abbotsford, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
288 Posts
My Tiny w/M100 is an absolute blast in the wind. It gets bounced around a bit but it handles it pretty good.
MrFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MrFlyer
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:16 AM
St Eustache Quebec
Joined Aug 2002
198 Posts
believe it or not, the sky scooter with 9.6 v batteries, g/box and 9 x6 prop can handle wind , and its so cool when the plane doesn't move forward trying to penetrate the wind.
Baveux is offline Find More Posts by Baveux
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:25 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
aeajr, I think that you may allready have got the best advice possible. I donīt like flying wings myself, and thus have no experience in flying them. But from what Iīve read, some of the flying wings are pretty close to indestructable, and since they are very low-drag, they seem to handle wind very well despite low wingloading.

I have some experience with e-gliders, and they are fun. But a glider that penetrates wind well, also flies fast. Slower, more stable gliders do penetrate to some degree, but they are also more sensitive in windy conditions. Iīm not sure that this would be what youīre looking for taking into consideration your experience-level at this point.

Going to a GWS Zero, or P51 to be able to fly in windy conditions as I suggested is probably also not very good advice for you at this point. I think they would require a bit more experience even in no wind.

The Kyosho Ferias is a GOOD trainer, and it handles wind well in my experience. But being traditionally built up balsa, it is a bit more fragile, and perhaps a bit more demanding to repair.

If I was in your position, I would go for the Ferias or maybe another high wing trainer that resembles an airplane, but then again, thatīs because Iīm not to fond of flying wings.
If you donīt have that aversion, then somehting like a Zagi might just be perfect. I think that a wing like the Zagi would be a little harder to fly (not as inherently stable) but then again, they seem pretty much indestructable, so who cares?

Anders
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:32 AM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
In this hobby one has to learn to fly with wind because wind is almost a constant factor. Some days there is a constant breeze, others are gusty. I've learned to use the wind to my advantage, especially when flying my Slow Stick. With my Zagi I have to deal with two things, wind and glitching. I can beat the wind but not glitching.
quietfly is offline Find More Posts by quietfly
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:58 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
quietfly... what kind of

glitching are you getting with your Zagi? I found that the stock ESC caused a lot of my glitching problems. Primarily with the motor switching on and off mysteriously at launch. I've since replaced it and the Zagi has been relatively glitch free...
flipnidaho is offline Find More Posts by flipnidaho
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:00 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,092 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I don't plan to buy a plane tomorrow. I will learn to fly my Aerobird first and get good at it before I get another plane. However my frustration level is so high right now, I was just wondering what plane might be good for windy days.

I will probably get through most of, if not all of this flying season, which for Long Island is probably from April to October, learning to fly my Aerobird and getting good with it. Any new planes will probably be projects for next spring.

Then again, if the wind doesn't settle down soon, I may get myself a BIG FUEL PLANE plane just so I can laugh at the wind with all that weight and power. Of course, I still have to learn to fly, so that won't help me this year.

Any other posts would be welcome for me and others who might read this thread.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:13 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Quietfly, you are so right. This is exactly why I prefer to advice newbies to get something that flies a bit faster than for instance a GWS TM for a first plane.

The only reason as I see it for a total newbie to get a "true" slowflyer for a first trainer is if they have absolutely NO chance of getting someone to help them get started.

Wind is a part of this hobby, and so is the fact that the more flying-time you get, the quicker you will get good at flying. This to me proves that getting the "easiest" possible plane may not neccessarily be the best way to get in to this hobby if "easy" translates into wind-sensitive. How will you progress if youre grounded most of the time due to wind?

Perhaps itīs better to get the toughest, most indestructable plane to start out with, AND to take into account that you WILL crash and destroy a model beyond repair sooner or later. Better yet, why not a combination/compromise?

I think that there are "newbies" out there that has been newbies for a long time. And that are having a hard time getting beyond that point for two reasons:
1. They donīt get enough flight-time to improve beyond "newbie-status" because of their models inability to handle wind.
2. The step up to a sportsmodel, or even a larger ailerontrainer is to steep.

Thereīs nothing wrong with that if you are content with it, so donīt feel that Iīm judgemental towards anyone. But I do feel that it would be a shame to hinder your ability to progress, if you want to progress.

I have two "sloflyers". One is a GWS TM, which is a "true" slowflyer, and the other is a Kavan Fokker DR1, which has been upgraded with a Speed 300, and scoots around quite well on full throttle, but slows down very well at lower throttlesettings.
The TM is (to me) an indoor plane. And the Fokker is very fun outdoors in low wind conditions. None of them are challenging to fly though, and therefore I learn nothing new. They are just very soothing and relaxing to fly. So donīt think that Iīm anti-slowflyers. I love mine!

This is a bit off-topic, but not too much I feel, considering the question at the top. Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

Anders