HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2010, 12:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
14 Posts
Is this plane hard to fly? I found a good deal but everyone seems to say it does not fly good? I think it looks awesome, for some reason I like thi plane a lot!!!
5000mAh is offline Find More Posts by 5000mAh
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 09:47 AM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
It flies nice, but every new plane, has to go through a little tough time. I guess for the 'berkut' this was it.
f4addict is offline Find More Posts by f4addict
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:39 PM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Weights

As promised before, here's my weight:

Aiframe: 1600g
Battery: 650g

As to the point whether she's difficult to fly:
I think I explained some posts earlier, whether she's critical to handle or not.
I prefer not to say she's difficult, or hard, or harsh...
I say: She's different...
But to make the point clear: If it's gonna be your first EDF - Forget about it...

Cheers from rainy switzerland, Daniel
Danyboy is offline Find More Posts by Danyboy
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5000mAh View Post
Is this plane hard to fly? I found a good deal but everyone seems to say it does not fly good? I think it looks awesome, for some reason I like thi plane a lot!!!
This user is Zachs Dad again. Shilling again. Trying to get you to buy stuff off him on ebay. He started about five new names here.
mungojerry is offline Find More Posts by mungojerry
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 05, 2010, 03:52 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyboy View Post
Aiframe: 1600g
Battery: 650g
Thanks for the data. My AUW is 2.8 kg (Wemos, HET 2W25, heavy gauge wires, 2 more servos for the tv units, freewing nozzles etc). 550g more. MtnCommando probably has even more.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Oct 05, 2010, 06:39 PM
United States, CA, Dublin
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
2750 gms AUW for me.

I have to put in just a couple of hours of repair work and she'll be ready to go. I've been having too much fun flying some other planes. But I think I should really give this bird another go before winter gets here. I have 3 gyros in there that I haven't tried out yet. It will be interesting to see if they help.
Mtn_Commando is offline Find More Posts by Mtn_Commando
Old Oct 06, 2010, 03:14 AM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
I thought once more on the gyros, as the idea intrigues me too...

On the roll-stability, I do not think that this area needs improvement.
Yaw neither, though Yaw-Damper or turn-coordinator would be nice to have during the turns...
But on the pitch, I would definitely refrain from using a gyro...

Reason being:
Once she's approaching stall, she would start lower her tail, the slower the more. Which gives you early indication of what's going to happen, time to react.
If you have a gyro that's reacting for you in the first place, you will not have any indication or pre-warning. Once the full range of possible throw of your gyro has been used, you are so far into stall that once you start to see the effects, she will basically fall from the sky. And you'll have no throw left to counter-act, as it's already used up by the gyro. And additionally, you will have control-surface-deflection once stalling starts, which will add drag, which will slow you down even faster, making things happen even faster.
If you have some sort of airspeed-indication, like a vario, that starts beeping when approaching critical levels, than that's another story... And would be the route to go in my opinion. I actually thought about how an autothrottle could be implemented...
I think the aerodynamics simply don't favor gyros - on this specific application.

I am *NOT* saying you shouldn't use gyros!

But: Don't be surprised if you do get surprised...
May I kindly suggest you'll make your gyros switchable via transmitter and fly her level and power-off to a stall up-high for a test before coming in to land?

And guys...
500g more...?!?
Whoah...
I didn't realise in my earlier statements about that much higher weight... I just try to see how an Airbus 330 can easily lift 270tons instead of 230...
I guess I just rest my case, my thoughts simply aren't valid on that proportion...
I have the Bae Hawk from FlyFly / Graupner, added pneumatic brakes and used a 5000mAh battery. The gear was too weak, bending when getting onto the grass, even breaking on the nose-gear when rolling off the runway-end. I removed the whole braking-system and went to a 3700mAh-battery, which all-in-all is about 300g less TakeOffWeight, equalling more than 15% in weight-reduction (now 1820 instead 2180g). Works-out fine now...
So, making it lighter from your scale: Yes, I think that would help it
Going lower that 2kg, that would be too low, I think...

Please, I look forward to your report how it worked out!

Cheers, Dani
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:54 AM
United States, CA, Dublin
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
Quote:
I thought once more on the gyros, as the idea intrigues me too...

On the roll-stability, I do not think that this area needs improvement.
Yaw neither, though Yaw-Damper or turn-coordinator would be nice to have during the turns...
But on the pitch, I would definitely refrain from using a gyro...

Reason being:
Once she's approaching stall, she would start lower her tail, the slower the more. Which gives you early indication of what's going to happen, time to react.
If you have a gyro that's reacting for you in the first place, you will not have any indication or pre-warning. Once the full range of possible throw of your gyro has been used, you are so far into stall that once you start to see the effects, she will basically fall from the sky. And you'll have no throw left to counter-act, as it's already used up by the gyro. And additionally, you will have control-surface-deflection once stalling starts, which will add drag, which will slow you down even faster, making things happen even faster.
If you have some sort of airspeed-indication, like a vario, that starts beeping when approaching critical levels, than that's another story... And would be the route to go in my opinion. I actually thought about how an autothrottle could be implemented...
I think the aerodynamics simply don't favor gyros - on this specific application.
Aircraft with relaxed stability are not meant to be flown slow, period. If you do slow them down, then you're begging for a crash...gyros or no gyros. That means you have to land them faaaast (that's the only time you really need to slow them down significantly).

I thought your landing was way slow in that video, hence the tail up, almost vtol touchdown . I think you may have been limited by the size of your runway, but I would have brought it in MUCH faster.

I think if a sweet spot can be found on the gains, gyros could do wonders for this plane.
Mtn_Commando is offline Find More Posts by Mtn_Commando
Old Oct 07, 2010, 01:13 PM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Don't get me wrong...

I am really wondering...

What "wonders" do you expect...?

Is yours not steady?

Or do you expect more agility?

I really do wonder whether your extra-weight is letting her behave different then mine...

Cheers, Dani
Old Oct 07, 2010, 04:08 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,044 Posts
Gyros always help.

No matter what.
They react faster than human brain.
You just have to land it carefully one way or another.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:04 AM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Ok, I get it, gyros do help by doing wonders...

On a different matter...

While I was doing last friday-afternoon three more successfull flights - I upped the DualRates for aerobatics, now it's fun, getting naughtier everytime... - I tried to use the brake-chute.
Yes, tried.
Each time, it appears the chute did not glide easily out of the tailcone, only when the plane ran into the lawn, it came "dislodged". It looked like one of those Looney-Toons-cartoons, where a parajumpers desperately pulls the line to activate the chute, impacts, and after the impact the chute opens and jumps up from the crater, nicely covering everthing like blanket...

I tried various versions to pack the chute, with no success. It always appears to have too much friction to slide easily out of the cone...
Packed everything up and de-activated the brake-chute once more...

Anyone of you guys having luck with some specific technique to fold the chute to make it slide out of the cone easily?

Cheers, Dany
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:10 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
978 Posts
Dany, what channel(s) did you up the dual rates?

anthony
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:00 PM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Anthony,

I upped D/R to 100% on all three axes, but only in that specific flightphase (IdleUp) for aerobatics.
During normal flight (speed) as well as TakeOff and Landing, they still are at 70% from recommended factory-settings, some 30% Expo dialled in to make it softer around centerstick.

Flies nice and predictable, even through the turbulence made by some *large* trees that is being blown right into the approach...

Cheers, Dany
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:55 AM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Once more...

Anyone having luck with his brake-chute...?

How do you pack it for a reliable extension?

Cheers,

Daniel
Old Oct 14, 2010, 03:57 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Hello there,

Quote:
Anyone having luck with his brake-chute...
I didn't try it out and I never even built the parachute in. The mechanism to hold it and to detach it is so flimsy that I consider it a real risk that it can trigger by accident, while you are in the air, and I didn't want that :-).

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges