HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
Brazil, MG, Ipatinga
Joined Jan 2010
125 Posts
hklagges, i did the hand launching for F4ADDICT, I placed my big middle finger between the nozzels and launched by holding on the joint (nose/fuselage).
NOTE:
It is extremely important to throw it in level, because whoever is going to control it, will have the elevators on the up position and if not on level, the jet will loop. 2 Attempts were made, the first one end it up on a crash with a lots of damage. So remembered to throw it in level. Practice before launching.
It will be hard to maintain control in the beggining but will be stable when in the air.
Go ahead and reinforce the wings with big carbon fibers rods you will need it. I just did it on mine and it is ready to go.
I manage to extract the front landing gear and desmount it for repairs. But I cant quiet come up with full extention and lock it back up. But i managedto fabricate the plastic head that makes the front gear turn. It was broken. At least, it turns again with no gaps.
I definitely recommend this jet to be flown at paving runway. Grass will damage the landing gears on your first or second try. And the wheels are very small for grass.
Remember, my wing broke on the second turn in mid-air (reinforce it)
Duduca is offline Find More Posts by Duduca
Last edited by Duduca; Apr 12, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duduca View Post
It is extremely important to throw it in level
Thanks for that advice!

Quote:
Go ahead and reinforce the wings with big carbon fibers rods you will need it.
Oh, I did that during the build (see my old post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=259), after I had seen the video from Baca.

Quote:
I definitely recommend this jet to be flown at paving runway.
Yeah, but I don't have one here .

Quote:
And the wheels are very small for grass.
Hmm. Maybe it would be possible to mount bigger wheels? I'll look into that.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin View Post
Dave, have ya ever flown that Kick ass Het F-4 you have?? That thing is sweet!!!! Id love to see some vid of it or are ya scared??? LOL!!! I wouldnt blame ya with all the crap ya went through with the gear and doors.
Lav, believe me,,, that is one bird i am scared to fly. I did went through lot of work trying to make it work, but the lack of full flying elevator still gets me on that bird. Also the clubs around here lack a decent runway, which makes it even worse. i would keep it and not fly it till i find a decent runway to fly it. but nearest runway is around 120miles away. so i guess it's on the backside of the hangar now patiently waiting for it's turn.
f4addict is offline Find More Posts by f4addict
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:31 PM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
the retracts on this bird are not as strong as it looks, i fly my rclander hawker hunter all the time from grass and the worst damage is the mains bent a little. But on this bird the nose retract will break.

THROW IT LEVEL OR ELSE YOU WILL NEED LOT OF CA.

we have grass about a 3/4 inch thick and the wheels got stuck on duduca's plane. but dont loose faith, i checked with westport, their runway is almost clear in a couple of days. keep your fingers crossed.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:26 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,711 Posts
We dun need no steenkin runways for our HET F4's

HET F4 PHANTOM from EXTREME RADIO CONTROL (1 min 58 sec)
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:44 PM
Adelaide,South Australia
Joined Jul 2003
1,134 Posts
interesting as Rane's depron Su47 flew great from hand launch...didnt exhibit any of the issues in this thread. have i bought a lemon?
what_the?! is offline Find More Posts by what_the?!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:33 AM
Brazil, MG, Ipatinga
Joined Jan 2010
125 Posts
One more thing , when i was mounting the landing gear back on it's place, I forgot to loose the wire for the LED light and when i tested, the wire broke from the lamp. The retract movement up and down will brake the wire if not loosed.
Last edited by Duduca; Apr 13, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:32 PM
Adelaide,South Australia
Joined Jul 2003
1,134 Posts
can anyone help me with a few questions on the fan system?

i.e. what are the motor specs? Io, R, kv, rating etc, plus fan power and thrust coefficients?

maybe also some stock readings, V, I, rpm, thrust?

type of fan?..number of blades etc...

(im thinking of retrofitting this with some more grunt to attempt belly takeoffs)
what_the?! is offline Find More Posts by what_the?!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:38 AM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
does anyone know, where i can get replacement retracts???? i just need the nose gear.

Even if anyone has plans for hand launching and would like to get rid of retracts,, i'll be glad to buy them.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:50 AM
Brazil, MG, Ipatinga
Joined Jan 2010
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4addict View Post
does anyone know, where i can get replacement retracts???? i just need the nose gear.

Even if anyone has plans for hand launching and would like to get rid of retracts,, i'll be glad to buy them.
F4addict, i Managed to desmount and fix my front gear with superglue and hot glue. I even get the steering string working on the proper position. Maybe you can fix yours too if you have all the broken pieces. on the steering main shaft there is an head which makes turns possible and it broke on mine. I managed to fabricate and glued the piece back. now it works.
The parts I ordered for my jet is here. I will put it together.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:18 PM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
mine is broken in 6 different parts, i dont think it's gonna be fixable. but what the hell, will give it a shot.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:39 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
So what happened? Did a hand launch go horribly wrong?
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:53 AM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
1,005 Posts
Carbon Fibre wing spar. . .

I just got around to strengthening the wings using 4 pieces of 3mm x 3mm square tubing, as Baca did, in post 394.

Top tip:

If you have a soldering iron with a "flat" tip (or a spare tip you can grind). . .

You can use the tip of the soldering iron and a straight edge to "melt" a very clean channel into the foam, of uniform depth, if required. no material is removed, and the foam "cells" are fused together by the higher density melted/restructured foam, forming a stronger channel in the wing. The epoxy then has a better surface to bond to. There is also no mess!!

Just to put your mind at rest, the wing is 14mm deep at the mid point very close to the tip, so no worries about burning through to the top surface.

I just melted a perfect 8mm deep, 4mm wide channel in both wings and wing roots.

Mark the tip of the soldering iron, indicating the correct "depth" of channel that you want to form, using a something sharp (I used a mini hacksaw to score the tip at 8mm).
Hold a straight edge, preferably a metal ruler, firmly on the wing surface, in the desired position.
Allow the tip of the soldering iron to melt into the surface of the wing, down to the correct dept. Using your third hand to steady the soldering iron at the correct distance from the wing surface (extended finger touching the surface of the wing), move the soldering iron smoothly along the straight edge for the required distance.

Perfect result!

. . . what do you mean "you fool - I don't have a third hand"!

tut, tut. I don't know. . . . earthlings, eh?
FOX ONE! is offline Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Last edited by FOX ONE!; Apr 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:19 AM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
So what happened? Did a hand launch go horribly wrong?
no way!!!, the maiden simply didnt go as planned.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, Dublin
Joined Sep 2008
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
At least in my plane, they seem to need a significant (& ugly) up-angle to have the plane trimmed out. If you fix the canards in a beautiful, e.g. neutral, position, you won't have that option anymore.

Cheers,
Henrik
This seems to be the norm. See rcpower's video at the 1:18 mark:
SUPER ADVANCED RC JET (MUST SEE!!!) (8 min 16 sec)

Even thought his plane is not too scale, he's done a fair amount of work getting getting that model to hover like that. Moreover, see pics of the real SU47...notice how they all have canard up even with the aircraft being nose up (which would normally mean canard down).

I was having major problems with my power setup. Bit the bullet and got 5s lipos and Castle escs. I am looking forward to some beastly performance this weekend!
Mtn_Commando is offline Find More Posts by Mtn_Commando