HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
The F-35 STOVL is the only aircraft to have taken off vertically, accelerated to supersonic, then landed vertically.

The F-35 STOVL is the coming replacement for the USMC's harrier. The Navy will be getting the CTOL version, which is not capable of hovering but has beefier landing gear for carrier ops. The Air Force will get the standard F-35 which will be capable of holding more weapons than the STOVL and CTOL.

I also fly the helis, but when discussing planks, "hover" is generally verticle with horizontal VTOL such as the harrier and F-35 being something totally different. I have only seen talk of horizontal hovering using edf/turbine with never any real results.
squirrlybird is offline Find More Posts by squirrlybird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:32 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,226 Posts
If you want info on how to hover "vtol" like the Harrier then this is the place to look.

http://www.rcgroups.com/vtols-360/

There are some very interesting projects going on there, like this one:

swivel duct (0 min 14 sec)
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Jan 21, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:05 PM
north east pa
Joined Nov 2009
70 Posts
Wow! that is a great video. I can see a production vertical lift EDF jet comming soon.
But seriuosly, when we are talking about hovering RC jets we are not talking about vertical lift.
From looking at this su-47, it seem like it's going to take to get this thing to hover. It is going to need more than a 1.1 ratio. The size of this thing will work ot it's advantage, but it needs to step up the power a bit.
Bigdaddi is offline Find More Posts by Bigdaddi
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:36 PM
Professional UAV Services
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Wow! that is a great video. I can see a production vertical lift EDF jet comming soon.
But seriuosly, when we are talking about hovering RC jets we are not talking about vertical lift.
From looking at this su-47, it seem like it's going to take to get this thing to hover. It is going to need more than a 1.1 ratio. The size of this thing will work ot it's advantage, but it needs to step up the power a bit.
yup, 2x2kg+ fans are needed to sit there and have enough power to get out of it. At the same time the better motors will draw less juice when you are flying it arround at lower speeds. It won't fly for long drawing the full 2000w though.

When mark gets the ARC's in this week I will be putting a set of these in

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=704
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=683
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
ARC are already in! Better jump on the site and order the motors at least as after the back orders were filled there are only 7 left I think.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:37 AM
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2006
330 Posts
Hi, I had 2 flights today , first time after some mods .First was a bungee launch and landing wheels down on the grass ,second ,take of and landing on the grass , no problems .In first flight one of the canards unhooked from the servo and get stuck in about 45deg .I didn't notice till after landing , there was not much difference in flight , try to roll a bit .Looks like canards are not very efficient .
SU-47 (1 min 37 sec)
Baca is offline Find More Posts by Baca
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:43 AM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
863 Posts
Andrew, what were the mods you made for that flight yesterday?

Were the carbon spars fitted?

And did you move the cg?

Dzieki !
FOX ONE! is online now Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Last edited by FOX ONE!; Jan 25, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:51 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,106 Posts
Hello Andrew,

nice slow landing! Did you move the CoG backwards a bit? Or change another part of the trim? Also, the wings don't bend as much as they used to in your previous video, did you put the carbon spars in? How many mAh did you use? Questions over questions !

I think the plane looks very beautiful in the air, especially if you do a banked turn where the canards and the forward-swept wings become visible.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:36 PM
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2006
330 Posts
Hi ,CG in the moment 30 mm but I think can be move back a bit more .I already have 100 g of lead in the tail .You don't need cheater hols .No more wing bending .I made a slot with 3 mm router bit, 6 mm deep and insert spar made of 2 ,3X3 mm carbon square tubs glued together (post394) .Looks very neat.After 4 min of flight with throttle management used abour 2500 mAh , 3/4 capacity .
Andrew

Czesc!
Baca is offline Find More Posts by Baca
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:46 PM
Melbourne, Aust
Joined Nov 2009
29 Posts
Great Flight Video

Baca, well done on the video's. yours floats in like mine. As mentioned I'm running the c/g at 30mm and happier with it. Lucky with the cannard, i'm gald i fuel tubed all my clevices during assembely.
I'm yet to cover in the cheater holes, did you find it made much diffrence?.
My next Modification is same as yours on the U/C and to seperate the Ailerons.
Happy Australia Day. To All
lovetofly25 is offline Find More Posts by lovetofly25
Last edited by lovetofly25; Jan 26, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:35 PM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
863 Posts
Dziękują !
FOX ONE! is online now Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:55 PM
Melbourne, Aust
Joined Nov 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abagnalejr123 View Post
Dziękują !
G'day Mate, very well done, a big thankyou back at you.
lovetofly25 is offline Find More Posts by lovetofly25
Last edited by lovetofly25; Jan 25, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:45 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Defintely want this one.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:21 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca View Post
Hi, I had 2 flights today , first time after some mods .First was a bungee launch and landing wheels down on the grass ,second ,take of and landing on the grass , no problems .In first flight one of the canards unhooked from the servo and get stuck in about 45deg .I didn't notice till after landing , there was not much difference in flight , try to roll a bit .Looks like canards are not very efficient .
SU-47 (1 min 37 sec)
Actually those are not canards. Just like on the su-37. They are to help direct air over the wings surface. The canards on these and the 37's and other SU's are way too small in real life to be an effective control surface. They are functional but not for what many think. The eurofighter uses true canards. While they are still called canards they have more to do with directing and keeping air going over the wings at different angles than providing direct pitch control movement.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Last edited by lavochkin; Jan 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:14 AM
North Plains, OR
Joined Nov 2003
491 Posts
Looks like BH is about to ship out some Berkuts! My friend and I both recieved shipping notices.
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442