HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2009, 06:38 AM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
Hey Lav,
As you know, we both are missing the lipo's. i tried a couple of 3's to make a 6's but the cg comes out tail heavy with a very short flight time. a 6's 3600 is in the mail shipped out to me, as soon as i get it i can balance the plane and get a maiden. How did yours go? did you get a chance to maiden?

pitcher, I am more bent on getting the maiden right, and i dont thing flying a tail heavy plane with a VT would be a really good idea. did you get yours in mail yet?
f4addict is offline Find More Posts by f4addict
Last edited by f4addict; Dec 01, 2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Not Yet!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2009, 09:32 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,174 Posts
No flight reports yet??.......Anybody???
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:09 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
No mine is still in the box. It has been snowing on and off here and in the mid 20's so I'm not going outside at all. LOL!
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:15 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,174 Posts
Nice! I went out and flew today. It's only about 38D and breezy. It felt like 20D with the wind. I've been home for an hour and my feet are still cold!! I half to get out while I can before the weather turns to crap here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:17 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,371 Posts
as much as i recommend not buying from banana, i REALLY DO!!!, they added some prety comprehensive pictures of the plane.
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:32 AM
Houston. .we have a problem.
Sutton Coldfield, UK
Joined Aug 2008
743 Posts
you mean like the ones of the working rudders?

Hmm. . .let me see. . .

Nope, no working rudders here!! or on the one Pete's holding.

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. now if I could only figure out how to stop the epoxy "fingerprints". . man, I've been SO careful, too!!

Anyone found a perfect paint match yet? I thought Tamiya's "Nato Black" was the one, but it isn't. . .
FOX ONE! is offline Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Last edited by FOX ONE!; Dec 07, 2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 02:24 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Pros & Cons

Hello,

I got my Su-47, airframe only, on Friday (thanks to Mr. Xpowershop) and have been looking at it a lot. In my humble opinion, it has pros & cons.

Pros:
  • Size: It is very big. Veery. And still light.
  • Foam quality seems to be very good.
  • The parts fit well together.
  • It looks very cool. Really.
  • The retracts look very good: They have a large area to glue them to the fuselage, a lot of force can be transmitted over that area; also, they have a lot of spring travel -> I really believe grass landings will be possible, at least better than e.g. with my Su-34.

Cons:
  • The impellers / fans are flimsy. Those of you who get the ARF version won't see much of them, but really, the quality of the fan I got is disgraceful: It has lots of little notches and distorted plastic in the fan blades. I wouldn't dare to put a motor to it.
  • Again, in the ARF version you won't see it, but the thrust tubes are very strange. They are not straight and smooth after the fan section, but contain large "cutouts" in the foam. Immediately after the fans, there is a large "cavity" which then tapers off towards the nozzle exit. Bottom and top section of the cavity aren't even symmetrical, as the top section apparently contains the ESCs so that they are cooled by the airstream behind the fan. I wonder what that deceleration and re-acceleration of the air is supposed to gain us?
  • The rudders are not functional, unlike you see in some pictures. Maybe they aren't that important, but still.
  • The tv nozzles are mounted with a spidery metal wire mechanism which is located inside the thrust tube so it obstructs the airflow a bit. The Su-34 tv nozzles don't have this problem.
  • The horizontal deflection of the tv nozzles is done by the servos which also steer the tail surface (which you may call elevator or taileron). I wonder how much pressure will come on this fully rotating tail surface in serious 3D flying? Will a single servo hold this and the tv nozzle? Also, the connecting pushrods go horizontally under the belly of the plane. They are like an invitation to catch any obstacle on the runway. I guess it would be better if the tv nozzles would be steered by their own servos.
  • From my secondary impressions (e.g. the description at ready2fly), with the stock setup, you get "only" 1:1. But with a jet like this, you probably would like more :-).
  • As you can gather from the manual that Xtremerc-Mr. Australia has provided (thanks!), three Servos are linked by sharing the same electrical connection. Thus, aileron and elevator (on one side of the fuselage) and canard (on the opposing side) are always fully linked. Do we want this? Is this the "right way" to fly the canards?

Untested mods to consider:
  • Better 70mm fans, e.g. HET6904 or Wemotec MiniFan Pro.
  • 2 extra servos for the horizontal deflection of the tv nozzles.
  • 2 extra thrust tubes to put into airframe after the fan section.
  • Steering the elevator, aileron and canard by individual channels and programming a mix that is "better" than the permanent electrical link that they currently have.

Please note that these are just impressions and preliminary opinions . And I don't regret buying the model, it is a great piece of work. Bravo China!

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Last edited by hklagges; Dec 06, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:32 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
971 Posts
Henrik, thanks for your observations and descriptions of this cool looking plane. I kinda sounds some what disappointing to hear of how inconsistant some manufacturers makes some of their jets, from small battery trays to funny made thrust tubes that do make since in their designs to TV linkages, when they should make them right to begain with...ya know? But I guess push comes to shove we can mod the plane according to what you've suggested to make this plane operate better.

Oh BTW, will you please post some pictures so we can see what you have described?

Anthony
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:35 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Hello there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthodenn View Post
But I guess push comes to shove we can mod the plane according to what you've suggested to make this plane operate better.
Keep in mind that these mods and my comments may be no good - I am just guessing.

Quote:
Oh BTW, will you please post some pictures so we can see what you have described?
Here we go. You can see
  • The fans with the terribly notched plastic blades. I also copied the QA paper that came in the Su-47 box. If the fans are "quality assured" then Germany won the second world war.
  • The upper and lower body sections with the strange thrust tube. The rectangular cutout of the upper section is partially for the ESC, but then continues on towards the nozzle. For what the "bell-shaped" cutout is in the lower section I have no clue.

Cheers,
Henrik
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:49 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
971 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!!
What you can tell, do you think this plane suppose to have come with actual thrust tubes? To me, I think that the frame only SU-47 just didn't come with any but needs to be made?
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:28 PM
Hub City, TN
Joined Jan 2008
548 Posts
Those fans look like the ones on my SU-34 after 40 flights. Does anyone else's Fullback flying off asphalt like to suck up rocks as much as mine? Guess I should just be happy they're still in one piece.
bhatch21 is offline Find More Posts by bhatch21
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:56 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
971 Posts
Hey, I found this on Youtube a couple of minutes ago. Check it out!
Fast forward to 1:12 and see the 1 to 1 thrust of this plane... You know it's a must have!

SU-47 RC Lanxiang - www.ready2fly.eu (1 min 29 sec)
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:00 AM
Greenville, SC
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
It looks like he may be holding the rudder with his right hand, but you really cant tell as it is fairly hidden. It is impossible to say if it is being slightly held or just supported. It also looks like the gear door needs a little work, but definately fixable.

Good find.

Now we need some good flight video!
squirrlybird is offline Find More Posts by squirrlybird
Last edited by squirrlybird; Dec 07, 2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:02 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,174 Posts
So I'm curious is it 6ch or 7ch. Xtreme hobby's RTF comes with a 6ch Tx while Banana's comes with a 7ch Tx. The only pic of a rudder is the one on Banana's site but, all the other new pics show no rudder and you guys with it already have no rudder. Also do the canards, ailerons, and tail surface move together like in the vids or is the guy just going nuts on the sticks. I really like the SU-47 but this model is making me wonder how good it will be. With all the excitement around it I think it's strange( to me anyway ) that there is not 1 vid from either of the dealers flying it yet, just taxing around and trying to show the thrust to weight. Lots of questions with this 1.... for me anyway. I hope it's as good as it looks. I can't wait to see it fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:00 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Hello,

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures!!
What you can tell, do you think this plane suppose to have come with actual thrust tubes?
No. I think it is designed like that. The advantage of the design is that the ESCs are cooled. But I don't think that the tube design is good regarding air flow efficiency.

Quote:
To me, I think that the frame only SU-47 just didn't come with any but needs to be made?
No. I think they either had special reasons - which I don't know yet - for the design or they didn't care :-). Maybe the effect is not that big - who knows?

Cheers,
Henrik