HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:16 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
First time I have had this problem with the flight pack safety net. I suppose a bit like NASA . Spend squillions to put stuff up and risk it all by seeking the cheapest quotes for components. If I get enough time the L-39 will be back in the air next weekend looking like it has really seen active service. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:18 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,928 Posts
The BEST IN THE WEST jet rally was really the best.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1319655&page=4
We had a great time...Awesome aircraft, good weather, and great folks!!
Many of the top pilots and top jets were there, from across the country, and the world.
Thanks again to Lowell, Joey and the AVTI for a great event.
Thanks for your help Ben.
Cory, you and your F-86 really missed out on something. Too bad you couldn't have made it this time.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:35 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
After my battery failure, I have glued the 2 main parts of the wing for the HTC 39 back together. About 3 or 4 more chunks to glue in. I might run up the motor and fan later to see if all is well there too. I had that Baby tuned perfectly by ear using the Eddie Giggowatts method.

My static balanced fan went to pieces on 8s, WOT and took the motor shaft and bearings with it. 7s is the perfect match for the SW and 36-75-1
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:00 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,928 Posts
We haven't run one on 8s yet. Need to put a bigger ESC in our L-39 first.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:26 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,928 Posts
I copied the following from another thread to here, so I can refer to it easily if need be.

Many months a go I inquired with the AMA about this very issue. When I mentioned the fact on RCG, I was ridiculed for "putting us on thier radar"...Well, I'm very close to offering an All Aluminum EDF at this point, So I addressed the issue once again to the AMA. We will fully comply with what is decided.
Regardless of AMA mandates, There are many fliers worldwide who will not be affected. Simply,just not affected by the AMA (other countries) or thier decisions about the use of a metal bladed EDF. I am most definately a proponent of all the safety measures that need to be taken. I can sell an EDF, or a bottle of wine. Responsibility is up to the end user.

The following is a copy of the issue I opened with the AMA.

Issue opened with AMA, 10-18-2010
.................................................. ..
Hello,
I inquired regarding this issue a number of months back. There was one email response, stating that it would be looked into and someone would get back to me. There has been no additional reponse to date.
The question at hand is the use of aluminum impellers housed within alum EDF bodies. I am told that no "metal props" are allowed, but this is not an open prop situation. Plastic and carbon fiber rotating devices can inflict the same damage as a metal one. There are waivers available for gas turbine model aircraft with with metal rotating blades. I am attempting to discover where aluminum impellers fall within the AMA safety rules, as I am about to begin marketing such devices that I acquire from overseas. I have already included verbage in our "terms and conditions" page of our website www.effluxrc.com
concerning the safety precautions associated with these devices to protect us and the AMA from any incidents that may arise. It is my intention to provide all the necessary precautions related to the use of these products, and would appreciate some clarification from the AMA.
Please respond to our email address so that we do not miss any information that you can provide us. effluxrc@gmail.com
Thanks for your time. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Best regards, Gary - efflux RC

Open Issue History View Closed Issues
The following is a list of issues you are currently a requester on. Click on a ticket ID or subject for a detailed ticket history. NOTE: It may take a few minutes for a new ticket to appear in the list.

Issue Status Updated
Aluminum EDF impellers

COMP-25879-594 submitted 10/19/2010 2:14:08 AM
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:56 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
Hey Gary, I fly private field with my hot stuff so ni issue for me.

Question..

I have some big compression dings in the LE of my L-39 wings and want them repaired.

I was thinking about slicing the damaged area out and holding it in boiled water until the beads "pop" back out, smoothing and gluing back. Any better idea??
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Hey Gary, I fly private field with my hot stuff so ni issue for me.

Question..

I have some big compression dings in the LE of my L-39 wings and want them repaired.

I was thinking about slicing the damaged area out and holding it in boiled water until the beads "pop" back out, smoothing and gluing back. Any better idea??
I know the hot water thing works with EPS. I don't have any experience with modding or trying to repair EPO yet. Ask around and let us know what you find out.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,928 Posts
efflux RC news...

WeMoTec EDFs should be here by the end of the week.

After months of anticipation, here's what's coming:
  • 70mm Minfan Pro EDF......$55.00
  • 70mm Rotor assys..........$29.00 (as spares, or for use with our Alum EDFs)
  • 90mm Midifan Pro EDF.....$77.00
  • 90mm Rotor assys..........$46.00 (as spares, or for use with our alum EDFs)
They will on the web site by the weekend. If you need one. Please PM or email us. effluxrc@gmail.com

Gary
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Oct 21, 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added email
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:51 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
I know the hot water thing works with EPS. I don't have any experience with modding or trying to repair EPO yet. Ask around and let us know what you find out.
Its a similar foam to the Multiplex stuff, so hot water should work, I suppose. I just don't want to make the un-buggered parts dimply as well
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
Sapac Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
I copied the following from another thread to here, so I can refer to it easily if need be.

Many months a go I inquired with the AMA about this very issue. When I mentioned the fact on RCG, I was ridiculed for "putting us on thier radar"...Well, I'm very close to offering an All Aluminum EDF at this point, So I addressed the issue once again to the AMA. We will fully comply with what is decided.
Regardless of AMA mandates, There are many fliers worldwide who will not be affected. Simply,just not affected by the AMA (other countries) or thier decisions about the use of a metal bladed EDF. I am most definately a proponent of all the safety measures that need to be taken. I can sell an EDF, or a bottle of wine. Responsibility is up to the end user.

The following is a copy of the issue I opened with the AMA.

Issue opened with AMA, 10-18-2010
.................................................. ..
Hello,
I inquired regarding this issue a number of months back. There was one email response, stating that it would be looked into and someone would get back to me. There has been no additional reponse to date.
The question at hand is the use of aluminum impellers housed within alum EDF bodies. I am told that no "metal props" are allowed, but this is not an open prop situation. Plastic and carbon fiber rotating devices can inflict the same damage as a metal one. There are waivers available for gas turbine model aircraft with with metal rotating blades. I am attempting to discover where aluminum impellers fall within the AMA safety rules, as I am about to begin marketing such devices that I acquire from overseas. I have already included verbage in our "terms and conditions" page of our website www.effluxrc.com
concerning the safety precautions associated with these devices to protect us and the AMA from any incidents that may arise. It is my intention to provide all the necessary precautions related to the use of these products, and would appreciate some clarification from the AMA.
Please respond to our email address so that we do not miss any information that you can provide us. effluxrc@gmail.com
Thanks for your time. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Best regards, Gary - efflux RC

Open Issue History View Closed Issues
The following is a list of issues you are currently a requester on. Click on a ticket ID or subject for a detailed ticket history. NOTE: It may take a few minutes for a new ticket to appear in the list.

Issue Status Updated
Aluminum EDF impellers

COMP-25879-594 submitted 10/19/2010 2:14:08 AM
I have investigated this 2 years ago. the out come was it only applied to props not turbines or edf it is a safety thing with a metal prop spinning free with no way to Gard against it.
MFALLON is offline Find More Posts by MFALLON
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFALLON View Post
I have investigated this 2 years ago. the out come was it only applied to props not turbines or edf it is a safety thing with a metal prop spinning free with no way to Gard against it.
That's good to hear Mike.

Thanks
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:07 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
Great......... ship em out !
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:16 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,928 Posts
You have no worries either way J. I think...do you belong to a similar organization to the AMA. Better check the regs. Our worldwide recommendation is "Safe use is the responsibility of the user".
I recieved our first (1 PC) unit. We'll begin testing later this week.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:59 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
I have my own mini-farm for the quicker stuff so I will reserve use for there. Remember the cow pictures?? Just got to get em out of the way first.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:13 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,928 Posts
If some of them are Wagyu beef bulls, you could make us some Kobe burgers. .................. but please use conventional slaughtering techniques.
Site Sponsor