SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:21 AM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
Help!
50's PITTMAN PANTHER MOTOR

Hi everyone,

Just bought this beautiful Pittman Panther motor on Ebay. Just had to have it so I overlooked the disclaimer posted "For the purpose of this acution the motor was not tested." In orther words doesn't work.

Well I got it now and I'm determned that my Sterling American Scout is going to have a working Pittman motor to make it complete.

The motor spins by hand, no binding, in fact I disconneced the reduction gear to let it spin even more free. The contacts and bushes look great, the magnet still has strength, the fuse is good and the reversing lever on the back of the motor is making contact. I tried it with 3 V (2 D-cell batteries) and nothing. I even tried to place one battery lead on each of the brush holders.

Any suggestions how to restore this part of yesterday's history? It's appreciated.

Thanks, Ed
edmigley51146 is offline Find More Posts by edmigley51146
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:57 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,859 Posts
have you metered the windings to make sure that they are intact?
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:58 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,697 Posts
If all the connections are good, and the brushes make contact, then it may be an armature winding (broken or shorted). Then you get to learn the fine art of rewinding armatures! Not so hard really, especially for an easy-going motor like this...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:04 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,856 Posts
This one, Ed?

Item number: 220458884907

It's interesting the seller listed it as "Used" and then in the description states it is "NIB".

It sounds like you have looked it over pretty well. A bit baffling. Have you tested it with a VOM yet? The fuse may look good, but test it anyway for continuity. Also test your armature. Use the VOM and measure across the brushes for continuity. Measure across each wire input for continuity from the input to the brush, etc. In other words, test each path where current should flow, to make sure nothing is "open".
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:10 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2008
138 Posts
Typically I've seen the windings break off where they crimp/solder to the commutator, which should be a relatively easy fix.
Thorsteenster is offline Find More Posts by Thorsteenster
Old Aug 17, 2009, 01:55 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Old motors, well used, can have the varnish on the wires deteriorate and short out. As has been said, you get to learn the fine art of armature winding. The trick to get back to factory performance is that you need to properly count the windings coming off the armature.

If you don't really want to learn the art, there are folks on the motor building forum that would probably be happy to do it for you for a small fee, or you can take it to an electric motor shop in your area and they can rewind even small motors like that one. If you take the whole motor to the shop, they can likely refurbish it for you for a reasonable cost. I had a 1950's era $500 projector motor rebuilt like that for $80 by such a shop. They did an incredible job.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
This one, Ed?

Item number: 220458884907

It's interesting the seller listed it as "Used" and then in the description states it is "NIB".

It sounds like you have looked it over pretty well. A bit baffling. Have you tested it with a VOM yet? The fuse may look good, but test it anyway for continuity. Also test your armature. Use the VOM and measure across the brushes for continuity. Measure across each wire input for continuity from the input to the brush, etc. In other words, test each path where current should flow, to make sure nothing is "open".

Yes Knot, that's the one I bought. I don't have a test meter and most of this is information is greek to me so I guess the next step is to take it someone that services small electric motors to see what the damage is going to be. I will take a closer look this evening at all the contact points to see if there is something I may have overlooked.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
Old motors, well used, can have the varnish on the wires deteriorate and short out. As has been said, you get to learn the fine art of armature winding. The trick to get back to factory performance is that you need to properly count the windings coming off the armature.

If you don't really want to learn the art, there are folks on the motor building forum that would probably be happy to do it for you for a small fee, or you can take it to an electric motor shop in your area and they can rewind even small motors like that one. If you take the whole motor to the shop, they can likely refurbish it for you for a reasonable cost. I had a 1950's era $500 projector motor rebuilt like that for $80 by such a shop. They did an incredible job.
Thanks Shawn, going over to that forum to see if I can get someone to get it running.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:51 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
As old as that motor is it is waaaaaay too clean. The commutator should be tarnished not bright and shiny. Are the brush faces glazed over? Enough brush spring tension?
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Aug 17, 2009, 04:13 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
As old as that motor is it is waaaaaay too clean.
I dunno Phil, my NIB Panther looks pretty clean too.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
IT WORKS! Thanks for all the suggestions. I cleaned the brushes and hooked up a 6V lantern battery and it's humming. I think that I wasn't getting a good connection with the two 1.5 V flashlight batteries. Onward to the American Scout.

Ed
Last edited by edmigley51146; Aug 17, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:38 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,856 Posts
Sweet!!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 02:29 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
You guys have cool toys!!
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Aug 19, 2009, 04:26 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,643 Posts
It seems a shame to use a collectable motor in such great condition in a running model. I have pulled all of my older motors out and replaced them with up dated ones. I now get longer run times and much better performance.
You can see some of my 103 boats at www.jsgill.net there are also shots of the motors and drives that I have collected over the years.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:51 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
John, the Marx motors are too good to merely be held as a "collectible".

I bought a big bunch of them dirt cheap from your pal, Louis Polk, when he was selling the whole line off a couple of years ago.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan