HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:24 PM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,652 Posts
Someone in my club crashed and destroyed models on a regular basis when he had Mhz radio: it was always allegedly due to radio problems, interference, it stopped working, no control, regular glitches and so on. This with simple models despite apparently using top quality brand of equipment the same as I use to fly my jets with total 100% reliability year after year after year. So he changed to 2.4Ghz to get better reliability and guess what - three of his models fitted with 2.4GHz have simply stopped responding and crashed in short space of time. yeah right.
Some people insist on using the cheapest switches or nicads or wiring and plugs got from some dodgy Hong Kong ebay trader, or the cheapest "Shakobitisi Blue Bird of Happiness me love you long time Joe" servo from some trader because all servos are the same aren't they, or re-using stuff that has been in a crash and is suspect, or their building is dodgy and the model breaks in the air or they simply can't tell the difference between turbulence, stalling due to bad flying, and interference/radio failure.
Some people always did crash, and will always continue to crash, they blamed it on their MHZ radio and now they blame it on their 2.4GHz radio. I ignore them.
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:26 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,788 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 16, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
HarryC

Now that does sound familiar.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:30 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,788 Posts
Im deleted all my writing, there seems to be a problem for me trying to get my message in the right way and not getting missunderstood... Sorry for any truobles...
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 16, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:21 PM
likeswindinhair
USA, ID, Castleford
Joined Oct 2008
145 Posts
The fact is that spectrum had a reciever problem several years ago. They then come out with a firmware update. But they never did a recall on old recievers. And there is nothing in the manuals to educate you on how too educate yourself in order to check for the firmware update. SO IT BLINDSIDES YOU. You have to interupt power while your locked in with transmitter to the reciever. Your either going to have a blinking light either fast which is the latest firmware update or medium blinking which is the oldest update. Either way you will have instant controll. If your unfortunate like me, it will take 10 to 13 secounds to have imputs back. AND no blinking and it does not go into Failsafe mode either. Its the recievers and the fact that old stock might just jump up and bite you buddy. I still have a dx7 radio and a jr 9303 with spectrum. I use a 123 battery pack for the reciever and a seperate battery foe electric motor. After I know what a brownout is and what causes them Ive no problems. Atleast this is what ive gone through. At a tune of 700.00 lost. Is it my fault ? I dont think so. I just bought all my equipment. And after sending both transmitter and reciever in aftwer 2 months learned the reciver didnt have firmware update. So thats a brownout. Check your recievers. hope this saves you what I went thru
likeswindinhai is offline Find More Posts by likeswindinhai
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:38 PM
likeswindinhair
USA, ID, Castleford
Joined Oct 2008
145 Posts
What bothers me is what will happen when a plane flies into some kids head. Spectrum says its the hobby shops fault for selling out dated recievers and hobby shop says its spectrum. Either way you wind up being the bannana. The updates are free and they did replace miy reciever. What ive learned is use 5cell mah packs atleast. These computers need power. Use a seperate power supply for reciever. This eliminates any power disruptions for these new high out put motor systems. Use good digital recievers. But you can survive most of these if you have firmware to back you up. Its the fact that it doesnt go into failsafe, And takes so long to have imputs that will destroy your plane. Ive not had any problems with other planes and check for firmware. It bothers me theres no information in the manual either. And no recall on the bad recievers. Its been over 2 years since firmware updates and i still went thru it. And they leave you holding the bag. I feel as if Ive been robbed. And I challenge any one to compare a setup on a plane.I do it right. To not believe in reality shows little faith in fellow man. And as far as asian made so is spectrum. There not made here, I think its taiwain. The ive not had anyproblems it must be you attitude really stinks. But thats just the iceing on the cake. All I wanted to do was fly.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:23 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
Quote:
"Shakobitisi Blue Bird of Happiness me love you long time Joe" servo
Now that made me chuckle

The last 2.4GHz crash I had with Jeti was due a JR brand-name servo, which decided to short its transistors during flight. First the elevator stopped responding, then the short circuit overheated the bec, so I got a "lockout".
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:31 AM
likeswindinhair
USA, ID, Castleford
Joined Oct 2008
145 Posts
I typed in my previous post digital recievers and met to say servos. Julez was your servo digital. I just bought some jr servos and there not cheap. It does get complicated but basicly any disruption for any reason could be disaterous. Thats why you need the firmware update on the recievers to help with lockouts. be sure to do the check. Also the more cells in your lipo pack, the increased chance of a power disruption.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:32 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,788 Posts
I really dont like to argue, but I do have one question :

WHY Spektrum in parkflyers ?? if you really need 5 nimh pack to be relative secure with spektrum, and at least a good 6volt Swithing bec, then maybee 90% of the world flying parkflyers/fomies should NOT choose spektrum as the first choice..

Corona v2 dsss will go down to 2.25 volt....
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/corona_dsssv2.shtml

this is a better choice... in fact every low cost cheep chinise 2,4ghz system will offer better suited solution for us who have a bunch of liniear BEC esc:s ,, becasuse as I understand all this, those bec:s are NOT suited for Spektrum recivers..

The strange thing is, i fly 4 different 2,4ghz systems (Futaba fasst, Corona v1, Assan v2 and FlySky) over 30 receivers(14 is from Assan) in 30 differnet planes 1 year almost every day flying, and mostly with Liniear BEC 2A with up to 4 servos, never one single lockout due to low voltage, i dont say this to stick up in any way, this is a fact, and iŽm very happy about it if it will continue this way. I just wanted ta share my experiance with theese systemes i fly..
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 17, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:33 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
Mine was analog.
It was a Graupner C261 servo.
Graupner sells JR servos, but I don't know the JR number of this type.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:18 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe
I really dont like to argue, but I do have one question :

WHY Spektrum in parkflyers ?? if you really need 5 nimh pack to be relative secure with spektrum, and at least a good 6volt Swithing bec, then maybee 90% of the world flying parkflyers/fomies should NOT choose spektrum as the first choice..
Who said you absolutely need to use 5 cells with Spektrum? Yes, I do use 5-cell packs with Spektrum but only in glow planes. Two of them even have 2 packs and 2 switches for redundancy but these are planes with 8 servos 7 of which are digital.

All my electric planes use ESCs with built in 5.0V BEC and I have no issues with these.

All my gliders (2 to 4 servos) use 4-cell packs - also no issues.

Quote:
Corona v2 dsss will go down to 2.25 volt....
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/corona_dsssv2.shtml

this is a better choice... in fact every low cost cheep chinise 2,4ghz system will offer better suited solution for us who have a bunch of liniear BEC esc:s ,, becasuse as I understand all this, those bec:s are NOT suited for Spektrum recivers..

The strange thing is, i fly 4 different 2,4ghz systems (Futaba fasst, Corona v1, Assan v2 and FlySky) over 30 receivers(14 is from Assan) in 30 differnet planes 1 year almost every day flying, and mostly with Liniear BEC 2A with up to 4 servos, never one single lockout due to low voltage, i dont say this to stick up in any way, this is a fact, and iŽm very happy about it if it will continue this way. I just wanted ta share my experiance with theese systemes i fly..
If you use Futaba, Corona, Assan and FlySky 2.4GHz equipment but not Spektrum then why rant about Spektrum? What exactly is your point that you have trouble getting through to us?

Quote:
... there seems to be a problem for me trying to get my message in the right way and not getting missunderstood...
Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:31 AM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc

If you use Futaba, Corona, Assan and FlySky 2.4GHz equipment but not Spektrum then why rant about Spektrum? What exactly is your point that you have trouble getting through to us?

Ivan
GOOD question.

I tried to make some points to sebbe earlier in the thread but his response was the language issue.

He really appears to be a Troll who wishes to cast doubt upon everything "Spektrum".

His answer to your question (if there is one) will be interesting ----- except that I expect it to be roughly equal to those he has given right along.
I.E. no real answer.
Only his deletions seem to vary from the SOP of the Troll .

One thing seems certain, he tries very hard to put Spektrum down.
To each his own.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:05 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,206 Posts
Ivan,
All the Spektrum receivers I have are in E-powered models with 5.1V BEC's, all are CC's and have 3A BEC's. Never have had an issue, since all of the setups I run don't overload the BEC's or the ESC itself.
I have been running 6V packs even before going to 2.4Ghz, but if I were to run a four cell pack, my choice would not be the usual high capacity AA Nimh cells
(He chose poorly ), but rather a 4 cell pack of Sanyo 700mAh Nicds, as they will hold voltage better under load than the Nimh cells.
I do think that Spektrum is less tolerant of a bad setup than the competition.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:06 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,788 Posts
My point is what pete also says: Spektrum is less tolerant of a bad setup than the competition.
I dont think everyone is so careful choosing the right setup, and many dont have the knowledge ... So all I really was trying to say is maybee other systems is better options for parkflyers wity linear bec and 3-4 servos...

I havet not said spektrum is bad. every systems has plus and negative side, whats wrong with that.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:09 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp

One thing seems certain, he tries very hard to put Spektrum down.
To each his own.
onewasp And Ivan, take it cool and relax boys,,, im not trying to make spektrum look bad or trying to make spektrum users feel bad in any way... like I said, if spektrum is less tolerant to volt dipps, then there is other options for less expensive esc and setups, whats wrong with that discussion
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM.