"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,563 Posts
Discussion
whats up with 2,4ghz ?

xxxxxxx
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 16, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:01 PM
early retired & loving it
USA, AZ, Kingman
Joined Aug 2005
1,229 Posts
I don't have a problem with 2.4G or Spektrum.
I don't find a problem with 72M either.
Most pilots that go out and have a great day flying just don't post about it.
Those who crash for any unexplained reason try to come up with a reason and the radio may be their first emotional reason.
I think there is a problem with communicating that 2.4G may not be a direct "insert and play" without going over the rest of your system and understanding the differences of these NEW (but not GOLD) systems.
Battery ineffeciencies, antenna position, servo problems, and mechanical failures... are just as likely to be the cause of problems.
I have been flying since 1968 and have never lost a plane to deffective radio design.
bnrusso is offline Find More Posts by bnrusso
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:06 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
Also never forget the dumb thumb, but don't want to admit it, so blame it on the radio crowd (probably accounts for 90% of crashes).
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:27 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
sebbe

I think you will find the the "Real World" and what you read on these forums are close to polar opposites.

While I've no doubt that some have had problems with (name your system) the fact is that the change to 2.4GHz has been far smoother than any other 'sea change' I've experienced in RC for the last 49 years.

The MAJOR difference is the availability of "The Web".
I have mixed emotions as to its value and certainly violent disagreement with the views there as ANYONE can post ANYTHING, ANY TIME no credentials required.
For accuracy I think you either have to know your source on the web or go elsewhere for your data.

Your opinion (rightfully obtained if the web posts were even 50% accurate) but, alas, they are not even at that level.
And unfortunately growing more inaccurate by the day as the newer (read less experienced) fliers post.

As with TV the total focus is often so small as to be laughable.

If you can remember the race riots in Los Angeles some years back, it appeared on TV that it was a complete war zone.
I happened to be flying in and out of LAX at that time and it was but a small confined area.
Literally a smoke cloud toward the city.
If you were in the middle of it, it WAS a war zone. But if you looked at the larger picture it was a confined disturbance.

Such is the effect of mass communication and the limits of a camera lens.

Spektrum (yeah I am a happy owner flier of Spektrum and Jr/DSM2) is like money in the bank.

It took several years for the fliers to get used to the difference in set up required by digital proportional --- we simply didn't see every complaint magnified to absurdity on the "Web".
Had we had the "web" when digital proportional started we would all still be flying reeds.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:28 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,748 Posts
The amazing thing is how FEW reports there are of trouble with radios on 2.4. When you consider how many must have been sold over the past couple of years, especially by Spektrum, the number of reports of problems is very low, and most of them turn out to relate to issues not attributable to the radio itself. This seems to apply to the new cheap systems as well, as we hear relatively few reports of crashes (the problems are more ones of quality control).

I was at a fun fly yesterday and there must have been 50 transmitters. Exactly one was on 72. Everyone else was flying 2.4, either JR/Spektrum or Futaba. This kind of conversion doesn't happen if people lack confidence in the new equipment. And the reason they don't is that it works so well. We hear far less complaining about radio problems now than we did when everyone flew 72.

Of course there are problems, and always will be, but the level of reliability of our radio equipment has never been higher.

EDIT: With respect to the claim that 4 out of 5 reports of problems are about Spektrum, that probably just reflects their market share.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Aug 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp
It took several years for the fliers to get used to the difference in set up required by digital proportional --- we simply didn't see every complaint magnified to absurdity on the "Web".
Had we had the "web" when digital proportional started we would all still be flying reeds.
I remember those days very well. I lost five planes to radio failure (some on reed equipment, some proportional) in a couple of months!!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:47 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,015 Posts
I think airtronics, assan, futaba, jr and spektrum all have extremely reliable technologies, as long as you give yourself a fail safe. The best rule in aviation is to always have a backup. Charge your batteries, position the antennas correctly, range check every day, and follow instructions. A good thing to do is not buy the latest and greatest. Some early spektrum receivers have required firmware upgrades, but I think they've got it all figured out now. If it makes you feel better, don't buy spektrum, because confidence and common sense are worth much more than any radio. I would say 70% of crashes are human error, 25% mechanical, and 5% radio.

Lucas
lucasavaitor is offline Find More Posts by lucasavaitor
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:35 PM
No agendas
Abington, Pa
Joined May 2007
170 Posts
Take your cues from actual experience at your flying field, local events, jet rallies and so forth.

These forums can be useful, but like full scale flying in general, 2.4 ghz technology is very intolerant of user error. Forums attract posters from all corners, all experience levels, and all levels of blood alchohol level.

It has been my experience from attending jet rallies, fun flies, and general flying at the three clubs to which I belong that Spektrum and FAAST are absolutely, positively rock solid reliable unless the user does something to compromise that reliability. You can use these systems with confidence.
Dustflyer is offline Find More Posts by Dustflyer
Old Aug 16, 2009, 02:28 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
I remember those days very well. I lost five planes to radio failure (some on reed equipment, some proportional) in a couple of months!!

For those of us who can remember, we used to figure that it would take three airplanes to make it through one season.
Frankly that number was a good approximation ____ and there were zero ARFs available! Most were either scratch built or real kits and a loss was a major set back.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 02:36 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp
For those of us who can remember, we used to figure that it would take three airplanes to make it through one season.
You guys were either optimists or very good with the radios!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:45 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,563 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 16, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:01 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,563 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:25 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Do as you wish but 'trouble' with Spektrum is more myth than fact.
Some always buy on price _____ others do not.

Some always seem to have trouble while others with the same equipment do not. It has always been this way in RC.

Your "80%" is high ______ but probably closer than you wish to believe.

On a local US basis we are probably closer to 90% .
Elsewhere the percentages may vary but i seriously doubt that I could find an Assan if life depended upon it.
I doubt that that will change anytime soon as most feel the pricing on the DX7 is very affordable.
We know the performance level exhibited by these sets and see no reason to consider something less expensive as the DX7 is already low on the price vs. value scale. (low price high value)

Price buyers only for Assan and we don't have many of those in RC where I am located.
We have but two on 6i while we've a bunch on DX7 and DX7se with an equal number on X9303 and the usual number on the 12X level (a few).

Performance alone is the first rung on the ladder, followed closely by support.
If the brand isn't 4.0 on those, then forget it.
Last edited by onewasp; Aug 16, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:06 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,563 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:14 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Read things as you wish.
We don't have a lot of FASST vs, Spektrum but what we have has also been flawless.

Again, the web is largely for bi***ing. Check any site any time and you will find complaints vs. accolades at a rate of about 100 to 1.
Simply the way the world is.