HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
FAQ
1/144 scale warship

I have stumbled across the warship hobby and I am very interested in getting started. Many of the sites suggest buying a used boat to start with but I am unable to locate any for sale. Can anybody help me get started?
barna68 is offline Find More Posts by barna68
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
abingdon england
Joined Feb 2008
498 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum.
There are many company's
that make warship kits. If you let us know what you are after and what country you are in we can dig up some sites to go to .
There is Deans marine in the Uk. Home port models in the USA and the scale ship yard. to name just a few.

John

http://www.scaleshipyard.com/
http://www.homeportmodels.com/
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/
cos918 is offline Find More Posts by cos918
Old Aug 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Barna68 welcome to our humble forum where all boating questions are usually answered in a prompt and efficient manner.
In your case I would suggest that you check out the websites for Hobby Lobby,Tower Hobbies and Model Expo to see whats availabe in your scale that is of interest to you. I don't think I would waste any money on a old used boat to start. You'd just be getting somebody elses problems. Buy your own kit and make it yourself. You'll learn more that way and faster too. Blue Jacket has some nice kits and I know there will be others who will come up with some far better ideas for you. Hang in there and you'll see what I mean. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
WOW! That was quick! Thanks guys, I'm going to go check those sites out. cos19: I am in West Michigan here in the colonies. The closest club I could find is in Ohio, I would love to "Battle" with them but Wolverines and Buckeyes don't mix well. I'll come back and let you know what I find.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
OK, I think I may have not expressed what I was looking for. This clip from Youtube is what I was looking at.
MBG June 2003 Video (3 min 27 sec)
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:22 PM
abingdon england
Joined Feb 2008
498 Posts
Ok I see you want to do combat ship.There have been threads on here about use the search bar and see what you can find. Sorry I dont know much about this area of modelling .

John
cos918 is offline Find More Posts by cos918
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Thanks John, Ill keep looking. Say hi to the Queen and enjoy some marmalade for me, it has been a long time since I have been to England. It is a nice place with great people.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:03 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,005 Posts
Glynn Guest did a great many 1:144 warship plans of a stand off scale nature, usually with much simplified construction from easily available materials and intended for beginners. They are currently available on http://www.myhobbystore.com/c/78/Plans---Warship.html but I dont know if they export.
I would go along with Norgale - buying second hand is liable to leave you with somebody else's problems to sort out. If you haven't had a model boat before this can be a real off-put.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:49 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Barna68 there are several good websites for combat ships but these boats are all built from scratch. You will have to find some plans like mfe02 says and build your own. However when you get to some of their websites (combat ships) there will no doubt be someone who would sell you a boat already made and since that would be a boat made specifically for combat it might be just the thing for you.
I do think you should try building a kit first though. Teaches you how the boats are put together so you can understand what makes them go. Combat boats are fairly expensive because of extra things like waterproof boxes for the electronics and bilge pumps and batteries. These boats are intended to get sunk sooner or later so your gear inside will usually get ruined at one time or another.
I guess it's the competition that drives these guys to do this kind of boat building but I've spent years and years trying to keep my boats ON the water and not UNDER it. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:37 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
check out "battlersconnection.com". they sell hulls and fittings along with guns and drive systems. good luck.
seadog985 is offline Find More Posts by seadog985
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Awesome guys! I think I'm going to try a Liberty ship first. It will probably turn out to be something that would be best sunk by my second try at ship building. I thank you for your suggestions, keep em' coming I will for sure be back with lots of questions! Really enjoying this site you guys are very helpfull, thanks again.