SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2009, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Discussion
Dow 1/2" super rigid foam Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulated Sheathing

Seems I cant get 1/4" protection board III anymore.

Can get 1/2" super rigid insulated sheathing.

4'X8' for 12 bux so the price is right.

item 42729
model 263063

my question, is if anyone used it and how did it compare to the PB III?

I dont have easy access to go put my hands on it, or Id answer my own question but Id like a heads up, at least assurance that its simillar too the pb III if not usable for this hobby, or reasons its not.

thanks
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2009, 05:13 PM
new pic, same plane....
Dayton MN
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
I'm not sure about the dow stuff specifically in this size, but I have some dow in 3/4" of this variety and some like 1 1/2" of this from another brand. I have only used the 1 1/2" stuff so far, but that works great for sanding and i use it instead of laminating many pieces of blucor together. I would assume the 1/2" would be the same, the only problem is sometimes I have difficulty getting the foil off of the sides. if you are wondering why i have this foam, it is because I got it as the scrap pieces that were going to be thrown out after insulating a house of my uncle's.....
sketchanderase is offline Find More Posts by sketchanderase
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:52 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,928 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use it for foamies. If it's what i think it is, and the picture on Lowes site shows it is, it is more crumbly than styrene foam (which the fff is and the blue thicker foam boards are) and it has glass fibers in it, which makes sanding a bear. Lots of discussion on Isocyanurate in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=isocyanurate

Where are you located? perhaps check with siding suppliers, roofing and siding contractors and even flooring stores. FFF is also used for underlayment under flooring.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:21 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
I made lowes dig a little and they were able to find another extrude polystyrene called fanfold GG but I havent been able to find anything related to that online, not even on their site...but Im thinking it should work, its for siding.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:01 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Fanfold GG? Is this Green Guard? Some posters say it weighs a bit more then FFF Blue Cor, but is quite suitable for foamies. I've only used a small portion, enough for one plane, and had decent results with it (Flying Wing, IIRC).
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:04 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
I could only find green guard too, no reference to a GG.

Maybe Ill try it.

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:08 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
The Green Guard is green (obviously), comes in quarter-inch thickness, skin on both sides, 4 feet tall, fifty feet long (I think, I've haven't seen a full bundle, just a small amount). I stand to be corrected though.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
This stuff is greenguard pactiv 1/4"

has a skin on one side, and the other side is rough.

its less dense then protection board III

seems possibly more rigid, it doesnt bend as easily without snapping but if finessed, it will bend just fine and holds its shape. it takes paint alot easier than the PBIII, as its not as smooth, more porous.

Gotta work with what ya got I suppose, its close enough.

If these companies would get their head outta their arse and stop pushing depron and epp, and think polystyrene more like the blucor, there would be money to be made.
Last edited by inline300; Aug 15, 2009 at 07:28 PM.