SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2009, 08:38 AM
Brillion,WI 54110
Joined Jul 2009
593 Posts
Question
World models /airborn models P51 CG? Prop suggestion?

I have recently traded for a world models /airborn models P51 in Bob Hoover colors that was already built. I had mentioned it in another thread. I now have a new question. Does anyone know what the C.G. point is on this aircraft? The person I got it from built it, never flew it, just hung it from the ceiling in the hobby store until it closed and just sat until I received it. I have no paperwork with it...and he never checked C.G. He put a VMax .52 size engine in it, because that is what the hobby shop carried at the time. Don't know anything about the engine good or bad...but it was never started. He has a prop on it right now 12x6...but the tips have a thick coat of yellow paint to match the yellow plane. If I use this prop I will have to recheck balance for sure. Is this prop even correct? Or is it just a "well it was just laying around so I threw it on". He also gave me two 11X7's as "extras". Maybe those are right? Thanks in advance again for all the help/suggestions.
planebldr is online now Find More Posts by planebldr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:38 AM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
383 Posts
The cg is "128mm or 5.04 in measured behind the leading edge at the point the wing meets the fuselage", this is taken directly off the assembly manual. I have flown mine and a couple of others using this measurement and they have and do fly just fine.
A word about the engine you have. Several in our club have bought these over the last few years and every one has met a catastrophic failure including having the rear bearing explode and con rod breaking. 11x6, 11x7 are good prop sizes for that engine. Those engines seem to be sensitive to the type of muffler also but do run well when they run.
Fred
Red Raider is offline Find More Posts by Red Raider
Old Aug 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
Brillion,WI 54110
Joined Jul 2009
593 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. Hmmmmm maybe I should yank the engine and go with something different? I'm new to all of this, and up until this point the only brand I really knew of was OS because of what everyone else uses at the club I just joined. I did a search on Ebay for these engines and not much showed up. I'm going to do a little research on the break-in proceedure for this one though in case I end up keeping it.
planebldr is online now Find More Posts by planebldr