HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:51 PM
TripleTreeAerodrome Volunteer
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Nov 2008
180 Posts
Thanks for the interest in the Joe Nall Valkyrie. We are still figuring out everything as we go. We are looking at a 80cc single cylinder for a scale look. We really could use some good builders to help finish this project. We only work on it about 5 days each year during the Joe Nall. Last year Bob From California helped get the rudder and elevator built and hinged. We probably have over a thousand signatures on the plane already. It is always a lot of fun helping the kids get a piece glued in and signed.
superbee-rc is offline Find More Posts by superbee-rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:19 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
The Carl Goldberg 1937 Valkyre 200%
Wingspan : 20 ft.
Chord : 40 in.
Fuselage length : 12 ft.
Fuselage width : 16 in
Elevator : 8 ft.
Rudder : 3 ft.

You guys are nuts!
http://www.joenall.com/2010bigbuild.htm

That thing is a monster! Looks like it will have to stay at Joe Nall's place...hope it gets finished!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
Hi Guys,

Great photos and great progress on the Big "V"s! I sure remember that... "measure, cut, glue, repeat".

So, about the fuselage sheeting... On this airplane the fuselage is a reducing-radius circular tube. Tubes are pretty good in bending, but torque (or twisting) is carried along the skin. In fact, the beauty of this design is that it is a monocoque with little internal bracing helping to keep the weight down. The load is carried mostly by the skin. Back in the day, this model would have been covered with bamboo paper or possibly silk. It would be very hard to achieve the strength necessary with bamboo on that shape and then there is the weight. Nowadays we have very strong iron-on coverings (other than Monokote - it will split under load) that can carry the load quite well. It must be adhered well and evenly shrunk to work properly as a structural component. I would also caution that the reducing radius fuselage leaves the section just forward of the stab a bit weak. It broke on mine mostly because I allowed a seam there. That was a bad idea. I do think the plastic covering will stretch more than balsa sheeting which would make for some wagging back there.

My preference was to sheet because it really isn't much heavier, it is stronger, and it is how it was built originally. It is a little time consuming, but no worse than anything else on the model... The results are really cool.

Just my 2

Keep up the awesome work!! You guys must be so happy with your progress! Looks great!

Franny
Franny B is offline Find More Posts by Franny B
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
Birmingham
Joined Dec 2006
240 Posts
The more and more I think about it, I believe I will just go ahead and plank the entire fuselage like the plans call for and like everyone else has done.

David
david212 is offline Find More Posts by david212
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
I think it's a good call David. It really gives the strength you need and like Franny said, "how it was built originally". It's not bad after you get going. Many ways of doing it...just make sure everything stays square and true while you do it.

Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
545 Posts
Franny,

The Valkrie looks incredible. Is there any down and side thrust in the way the motor is mounted?

It would be interesting to experiment with one of these 3 axis rate gyros in a large old timer like that, especially during the climbout under power.

http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2012/02/15/...-tree-systems/

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
Thanks Steve,

No offset at all on the thrust. It does pitch up a but under full throttle, but I just mix in a little down elevator with the throttle and that does the trick. It pushes over the top really well and is very majestic in the air.

I have a friend (BrokenSpar) who added a rate gyro to a little 1/2A Blazer to tame the Dutch roll. It worked quite well! I think the gyro cost about as much as the airplane, but it was a great experiment. His would climb straight as an arrow whereas mine would wobble and roll under power.

Thanks,

Franny
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:27 AM
Birmingham
Joined Dec 2006
240 Posts
Well, I had temporarily put away my valkyrie because school was consuming my life the past 4 months. Now that it is winding down and I will be graduating in May, I got out my fuselage and started working on it again last night. I was also inspired by joe nall coming up again real soon. I think I am planning on going again earlier so that I can check out the progress on the 200% build. As for my build, I need to get started on the horizontal stab. I still have to build up all the ribs before I even begin assembling it. I think this has been good though, after spending time away from the valkyrie, I got a new wave of engery and I am excited to start working on it again.

David G.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Nov 2008
180 Posts
The Valkyrie project is still going on at the Joe Nall. Come out and enjoy the project. This year we are going to try to build the pylon and and join the 20 foot wing and make it one piece. Be sure to sign any parts you attach. See every one there
Last edited by superbee-rc; Apr 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
That good news David. Let me know if you run into any issues scaling ribs for the stab...

Hey, SuperBee. Continued good luck on the 200% monster. What are you doing for dihedral braces on the giant wing? Just curious. Since it will be one piece, it should be a bit less complicated. I think Cal had the builder just glue the two center ribs together and call it good. You might need a little more than that I hope you make great progress this year.

Franny
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:13 PM
Birmingham
Joined Dec 2006
240 Posts
This past weekend I finished all the stringers and fitted the motor in place. I plan on using a Saito .72 for power. It sounds like that should work fine but if it doesnt, I can change it out for an .82 without any trouble. I think the .82 has the same case and mounting holes as the 72. I finally did get all of my horizontal stabs drawn out and printed. I just need to break out the building board again. This should be fun.

On a side note, the project I just finished up was a plan built vintage lanzo bomber. Similar to a playboy type plane and it has a pylon mounted wing as well. I just flew it for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was just fantastic. I put a saito .30 on it and the AUW is around 3 pounds (70ish inch wingspan). It is now one of the slowest flying and best floating planes I have built. I think I need to start building more of these vintage and slow flying planes.

David
Last edited by david212; Apr 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:30 PM
Birmingham
Joined Dec 2006
240 Posts
Hey super bee,

do you know what kind of covering is going to go on the 200% valkyrie? your probably going to need an 18 wheeler full of it. Or, maybe you can get monokote or ultracote to sponser it and donate a bunch of it.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Nov 2008
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franny B View Post
Hey, SuperBee. Continued good luck on the 200% monster. What are you doing for dihedral braces on the giant wing? Just curious. Since it will be one piece, it should be a bit less complicated. I think Cal had the builder just glue the two center ribs together and call it good. You might need a little more than that I hope you make great progress this year.

Franny
I have planed to put 2 1/4 inch plywood dihedral braces in it. This might be over kill but being 20 feet it is my best guess. I agree, I do wonder if I just stuck to Carl's original plan and sheeted and glassed the center seam would it hold. You have to wonder.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Nov 2008
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david212 View Post
Hey super bee,

do you know what kind of covering is going to go on the 200% valkyrie? your probably going to need an 18 wheeler full of it. Or, maybe you can get monokote or ultracote to sponser it and donate a bunch of it.
With all the hard work and signatures on the plane we are planing on using transparent monokote so everything will be visible. It should not take more than the 7 25ft roles it took to cover my 17 foot lazy bee.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:28 PM
Birmingham
Joined Dec 2006
240 Posts
Here are some pictures of my horizontal stab. It's almost finished except for the center sheeting.