SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:17 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Discussion
Trex-500 HANGAR

Picking up the thread from ELECTRIC HELI TALK - sure would be nice to have our own hangar for beginners and kit builders instead of going over to Helifreak. Time to stake our territory and become recognized !! Please post your questions and answers and comments and pictures on the way in and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

****************************** Hangar doors are now officially open !! *******************************

First posting - mine
Just finished building the CF kit with the torque-tube. First hover good. Some tail bobbing. First flight jitters too hard landing - umbrella gears in torque-tube missing a few teeth. Replaced and ready for 2nd flight - in holding pattern for weather. Will give it one more try before replacing with belt. Replaced dampeners with 80% (grey) - changed throttle curve to increase head speed. Will post results. Thanks for everyone's help.
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Aug 13, 2009 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:23 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,480 Posts
I just maidened my 500GF. 100% stock. Cyclics are Towerpro MG930 digitals, tail servo is a Futaba S9257 hooked up to a Mystery G401Y gyro. I need a touch more gain on the gyro to get a solid hold on punch outs. (All the avionics are from my HK-T500 which is now a hangar queen awaiting its new home with one of my clubs younger and less affluent members).

I'm running +/-12 on the pitch, (more than adequate)with 0 at centre stick in idle up with a 100-inh-70-inh-100 curve (the govenor mode on the Align ESC isn't great). This heli is so smooth and handles much like mt T-Rex 600N.

It's great, I think I'm in love again.

Paul
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:58 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,061 Posts
After crashing my HK-T500 I purchased a real Align GF bare kit from grandrc.com. I just got it flying and it sure is smooth. It sure handles a lot better then my T450.

What headspeed and blades are you guys running? I a set of those $21 CF blades from helidirect.com and they are very good but I would like a little faster cyclic.

I have a new CC ICE ESC on order so I will be using the governor mode and data logging when it arrives.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:08 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,480 Posts
My kit included a set of Align 425GF blades. My model is set exactly (throttle curve wise) as per the manual. If you look in the manual there is a page dedicated to amp draw and relative headspeed etc. I have no means of measuring rotor RPM since I don't have a datalogger and a fellow flyer got married to my optical thach and decided to move to another county, however I am estimating somewhere in the 2100/2200 RPM region which makes for a very smooth and reasonably powerfull heli. This is on the supplied 12T pinion, you could push up the rotor RPM with the use of the 13T pinion at the expense of duration and a little extra heat.

Paul
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:08 PM
Joined Jun 2009
192 Posts
Here's mine: Trex500 ESP

500L w/13T, BL60G esc, DS510 on cyclics, Align GP750 gyro + futaba 9257 on tail (align 5.1 stepdown on tail servo), Flightmax 2200mah 3S X 2 in series, align 3k carbon fiber blades all around, ar6200 rx, DX6i.

running 100% flat throttle curve in idle1. getting 4:30 of hardcore stick banging.
DrDoom is offline Find More Posts by DrDoom
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:13 PM
Joined Jun 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
After crashing my HK-T500 I purchased a real Align GF bare kit from grandrc.com. I just got it flying and it sure is smooth. It sure handles a lot better then my T450.

What headspeed and blades are you guys running? I a set of those $21 CF blades from helidirect.com and they are very good but I would like a little faster cyclic.

I have a new CC ICE ESC on order so I will be using the governor mode and data logging when it arrives.

I'm using the align 425mm carbon fibers mains....they have been excellent. the 425D from aligns is also very good. can be had for $50. my current headspeed at 100% throttle curve in idle1 is 2700rpm average.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:45 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom
I'm using the align 425mm carbon fibers mains....they have been excellent. the 425D from aligns is also very good. can be had for $50. my current headspeed at 100% throttle curve in idle1 is 2700rpm average.
My book says 2650 max is that a hard limit?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:49 PM
Joined Jun 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
My book says 2650 max is that a hard limit?

no worries man. some run their headspeed up to 3000rpm and have a fantastic time and no problems.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:28 PM
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,495 Posts
Cool. We have a trex 500 thread! I'll close the one asking about this over in electric heli talk.

My kit is at the LHS, waiting for me to pick it up. I move very slowly, so don't expect many postings from me.

Dave
hancockdw is offline Find More Posts by hancockdw
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:38 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackclarke
Picking up the thread from ELECTRIC HELI TALK - sure would be nice to have our own hanger for beginners and kit builders instead of going over to Helifreak. Time to stake our territory and become recognized !! Please post your questions and answers and comments and pictures on the way in and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

****************************** Hanger doors are now officially open !! *******************************

First posting - mine
Just finished building the CF kit with the torque-tube. First hover good. Some tail bobbing. First flight jitters too hard landing - umbrella gears in torque-tube missing a few teeth. Replaced and ready for 2nd flight - in holding pattern for weather. Will give it one more try before replacing with belt. Replaced dampeners with 80% (grey) - changed throttle curve to increase head speed. Will post results. Thanks for everyone's help.
Great, a TR500 thread..

Your tail bobbing is more then likely caused by not having enough headspeed, that's what mine did (Stock CF kit I used the smaller of the two pinions) until I upped the throttle curves, this bird loves headspeed.
raynet11 is online now Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,495 Posts
Picked up my bundle of joy today.

It's an ESP, and I'll be using a GY401 gyro, 9650 tail prob'ly with 9257 gears ( or I might just run it stock at 6v -- after a couple of years I'm still learnin' and don't really need a fast tail). RX is an AR6200, TX is a DX6i. Still undecided on the BEC issue -- I have a CCBEC, but I've been looking at a Dimension Engineering SportBec or a 3.5A Medusa Potencia, either of which can be had for around $30. Batteries will probably be Flightmax 6s from HobbyCity, but I'll start with my little Xcite 3s 2200's in series.

Also considering the chinese weight tail mod right off the bat, but I need to learn more about it.

I'd post a picture but it'd just be a box.

Dave
hancockdw is offline Find More Posts by hancockdw
Old Aug 14, 2009, 01:26 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
Im not sure about the FlightMax batts. I have been running Zippy 3300 3S 20C x 2 in my Gaui 550 and now in the T500esp with a 10 min. mod. to the tray. Zippy's are no longer available, but the Turnigy 3300 3S 20C x 2 on their sides, is a perfect fit between the frame....38mm inside diam. I paid $80 for the 2 Zippy's and about $50 for the 2 Turnigy's that some say are the new Zippy's....maybe even better....some say....we'll see. I just got the Turnigy's, so I haven't had time to evaluate them much.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Aug 14, 2009, 05:58 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
I need a little help understanding the batteries and BEC. My kit (Trex-500 CF) included a 6s - 2400ma battery. I bought a 2nd battery with the thinking I'd get about 10 minutes per battery. Is that wrong? Is going the external BEC and different batteries to enhance performance or flight time or does it make any difference for the kind of flying I'm doing - hovering - slow flying. Thanks for advise.

Jack
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2009, 06:15 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancockdw
Picked up my bundle of joy today.

It's an ESP, and I'll be using a GY401 gyro, 9650 tail prob'ly with 9257 gears ( or I might just run it stock at 6v -- after a couple of years I'm still learnin' and don't really need a fast tail). RX is an AR6200, TX is a DX6i. Still undecided on the BEC issue -- I have a CCBEC, but I've been looking at a Dimension Engineering SportBec or a 3.5A Medusa Potencia, either of which can be had for around $30. Batteries will probably be Flightmax 6s from HobbyCity, but I'll start with my little Xcite 3s 2200's in series.

Also considering the chinese weight tail mod right off the bat, but I need to learn more about it.

I'd post a picture but it'd just be a box.

Dave
Hey Dave, I would still get the 9257 for the tail. They hold better. Even while learning.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Aug 14, 2009, 07:05 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Aug 2009
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackclarke
I need a little help understanding the batteries and BEC. My kit (Trex-500 CF) included a 6s - 2400ma battery. I bought a 2nd battery with the thinking I'd get about 10 minutes per battery. Is that wrong? Is going the external BEC and different batteries to enhance performance or flight time or does it make any difference for the kind of flying I'm doing - hovering - slow flying. Thanks for advise.

Jack

Hey Jack

Depending on what TC you have you can expect around 6min flight time with my 500 im getting 5.10 with 100-95-90-95-100 TC in idle up one and two but remember the 80 % rule with lipo's

2400 ma dived by 80% = 1920 ma dont run ya lipo's down more that 80% as it will hurt them in the long run
Bushido is offline Find More Posts by Bushido