HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2003, 10:30 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,690 Posts
RBC Beaufighter (work in progress!, long progress)

Haven't been very active lately (coming to the end of my Uni year!) but i I have managed to start on my RBC beaufighter.
so far I've built the wing (outer panels still need upper sheeting) and the rear of the fuzz and started on the front end. PLease don't expect to find picture's of it finished in the next month or so, I'm a very slow builder and a very busy student. But I'd thought I'd share what I've got so far. Thanks to Tom Hunt for the motivation seeing his spured me on. I to am planing to fihish my In early night fighter colours.

As a note I also have a Ryann Hellcat very nearly ready for flight, a JR P-38, which i may fit with a pair of mega motors and an Adro 232 from plan to start, but these are for another time and another thread.

Some pic's
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2003, 10:35 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,690 Posts
hope this works
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2003, 02:16 PM
Stavanger Sola, Norway
Joined Oct 2000
581 Posts
stuart,
What kind of motors will use on this beaufighter?
Direct or geared?
It's a lovely design..
Like it very much.
(I don't see any pictures)
helge
Helge Sondresen is offline Find More Posts by Helge Sondresen
Old Apr 12, 2003, 03:35 PM
Bzulu
Berlin
Joined May 2002
214 Posts
yes, pics please!
thulizulu is offline Find More Posts by thulizulu
Old Apr 12, 2003, 05:41 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,690 Posts
The motor's will be the recomended 400's on a Graupner gear box (carn't remeber the gearing ratio), I having trouble uploading images from my mac which runs in OS 9/10 and the mac thats on the net which runs on OS 8. I'll swop them around tomorrow and upload some then.

And yes it a very nice kit.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2003, 07:51 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,957 Posts
The Beaufighter seems to be one of the more challenging kits in the RBC line, so you'll want to take your time and be patient, Stuart. One of my friends built one, and he had to work hard to get the nacelles right.

But the good news is that it makes a really nice looking rendition of this under-appreciated fighter, and it flies great! On the stock geared 400 motors the performance is very impressive, yet it's stable and forgiving. I had test pilot honors for John's Beau, and it flew like a champ from the initial launch. Oh, and the look of it on a low pass. Cooooool....

Good luck!
Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Apr 13, 2003, 03:51 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,690 Posts
Hello again, Im now on my Mac so you should now see image or 2 below.

Jim, Thankyou for your advice, I will take my time (that's just natural with me ). I'm about up to the stage of cutting the V/formed plastic nacelles and mounting them onto the cowl frame. It does seem like it could be a little tricky, but a dry run has proved a good fit.

One thing though, It mentions I need 6mm of dihedral at each tip, and to get this I need to pin down the outer panels and add, what they call a help former (a peice of 6x3) just under the wing tip. The problem is that when I do this there's already a gap slightly bigger than the help former. So have I inadvertanly (spelling) added the dihedral already . I must admit, this is causing me some concern, I don't think I can really progress until it sorted.

Any the pic's
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 13, 2003, 03:59 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,690 Posts
Hello again, Im now on my Mac so you should now see image or 2 below.

Jim, Thankyou for your advice, I will take my time (that's just natural with me ). I'm about up to the stage of cutting the V/formed plastic nacelles and mounting them onto the cowl frame. It does seem like it could be a little tricky, but a dry run has proved a good fit.

One thing though, It mentions I need 6mm of dihedral at each tip, and to get this I need to pin down the outer panels and add, what they call a help former (a peice of 6x3) just under the wing tip. The problem is that when I do this there's already a gap slightly bigger than the help former. So have I inadvertanly (spelling) added the dihedral already . I must admit, this is causing me some concern, I don't think I can really progress until it sorted.

Anyway, the pic's
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 13, 2003, 04:15 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,690 Posts
Wow, that worked out alot better than expected, thought it was going to be a crappy small image

Well here's another
Site Sponsor
Last edited by stuart warne; Apr 13, 2003 at 04:36 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:01 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,147 Posts
Stuart, I'm not sure what RBC put in the manual, but you must be referring to the wing washout. I just measured the dihedral on my original drawings and it is 34 mm at the tip with the bottom of the inboard panel flat on the table.
Looking at your pictures you only have the bottom sheeting on, so you should still be able to built in the required washout. I would not worry about a little bit more or less (I think mine does not have any at all), as long as both wings are the same.
BTW she flies a treat, I am just back from having two more enjoyable flights.

Max
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:33 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,690 Posts
Yes sorry, I do mean the wash-out, NOT the dihedral. Wash out, wash out. Thank you.
Hearing you saying about the washout not being that important as long as they are both
the same, has really help with any doubt I may of had. Thank you very much Max.
Site Sponsor