Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, AL, Somerville
Joined Apr 2007
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
Hey guys. Here is the picture of my big plane I said I would post. It's mostly back together now, I need a new right wing and an engine.

Great Job on the rebuild! Still amazing that they sent all the repair parts for free...
rcl_al is offline Find More Posts by rcl_al
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Mar 2011
57 Posts
nice plane

what size motor?
jtrides65 is offline Find More Posts by jtrides65
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with it.

100-120cc engine. I originally had a DLE-111 in it.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Woot!
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl_al View Post
Still amazing that they sent all the repair parts for free...
Get this, I just saw that Pilot has released a 20-30cc trainer type airplane. And it COMES with a spare set of parts for the front half of the fuselage. They say that's the most commonly damaged part of a plane, so they are including spares up front.

Pretty cool.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined Aug 2011
50 Posts
Back from Europe and a new toy in the mail: a 5.8Ghz Crosshair antenna for FPV. Together with a better receiver and an other Radjet 420 this should make a FPV plane that's good for at least a mile. Unfortunately some of the parts from hobbyking are still on back order. I hope they will arrive soon. In the meantime, I need to get some experience with my first radjet 420.

After one week out of the office I have to catch up with work first, I hope I will be able to fly this week.
Michael_73 is offline Find More Posts by Michael_73
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
Joined Sep 2008
1,643 Posts
Welcome back Michael. I have a large wing with a 500mW 5.8 vtx that can go over a mile in most environments. I do have a Dragonlink UHF RC tx on it though. I have found that 2.4 ghz Spektrum rc control is not too reliable beyond a couple thousand feet when combined with FPV equipment noise and sometiimes much less. 72mhz rc control has a little better range than 2.4.

Looks to be a little windy today so I am going to run a couple of errands instead of flying. Tomorrow looks great though.

-darren
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
50 Posts
Hi Darren,

I also assumed that there might be issues with the radio range. That's why the new receiver (Frsky system) is a two-way system. It supposedly gives you a warning if you reach the range limit. I have to see if it works reliable, but from what I have read, a mile should be doable. I still have a 72 MHz system (it came with my Futaba) but for those small planes it is too big. I guess building a small FPV plane is much harder than a big one, but I like small better. Maybe the patch antenna I bought for my Frsky system could be helpful.

On the long run I intend to buy a UHF system, too. It has been circulating around my mind for quite some time, but I have to start small. It doesn't make sense for a beginner to buy all this sophisticated stuff when your biggest challenge is keeping your planes in the air. So maybe next year I will take a closer look into the UHF systems. At latest I want to have one before I move back to Germany in three years time.

Michael
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
Joined Sep 2008
1,643 Posts
Well you can certainly have a lot of fun within a couple thousand feet. I fly my shortrange stuff way more than long range. Low FPV flying around and through things is more fun to me than high and far. Nothing wrong with high and far though!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
50 Posts
You are right: low and fast is fun but high and far is not without its charm. But this will be something for Germany because the area were I (will) live is just ideal for long range.

I hope to make it to the field tomorrow, but no FPV. I still have to fix my googles after the module broke last time. Replacement is on its way.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Anyone flying today? I brought a plane.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
Joined Sep 2008
1,643 Posts
I plan to be there with blue wing and nano cpx.

I folded one back seat down to fit the wing in my Jeep this morning. On my first stop coming in to work, the other seat wasn't locked upright and it fell down on my wing and broke it. I think I can fix it with some box tape though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, AL, Somerville
Joined Apr 2007
901 Posts
Brought my stuff today. Wind reports don't look good so will call it closer to 11:00...
rcl_al is offline Find More Posts by rcl_al
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:39 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,921 Posts
Meeting....
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:10 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
Joined Sep 2008
1,643 Posts
Does look to be windy today??? Debating on whether to charge or not.
RCG Plus Member