SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,393 Posts
Discussion
RSA Parade Ground Lunch-time Flyers

Several of us who work on the Redstone Arsenal fly at the Parade Grounds (also know as the MWR Activity Field) on our lunch-hours, weather- and meetings-permitting. We generally fly within and above the chain-link-fenced area for safety reasons.

The PG is along the North side of Aerobee Road, just East of Patton Road. Mapquest: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Hu...geocode=STREET

We don't coordinate our flying, other than that we typically fly between 11:00 and 12:00.

We typically fly small electric planes and helicopters in order to avoid noise issues. One pilot has flown a nice quiet muffled glow-plane lately with no problem.

There are six regular pilots: Bob, Jeff, Craig, Darren, Richard, and Jim. And several irregulars!

The Fitness Center which is just South and West of the Parade Grounds is open to us for water fountain and restroom use. Walk right in and look to your right!

There is a brand new post office in this complex, on the South side.

The Java Cafe just opened just West of the Parade Grounds. They are somewhat proud of their food, and the service is slow, but they just opened.

If for some reason the PG is taken over by Army or MWR activities, our alternate flying location is Whitesburg Baptist Church Annex on Whitesburg Drive just a few blocks South of Martin Road. We typically fly out back of the church, where the shade trees and picnic tables are. Or over on the South side, entering the South Field near the railroad tracks and driving East to the shade trees.

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Feb 21, 2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added photo after Activity Field upgrades completed in 2010
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:04 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,305 Posts
I cannot believe you started this thread.. You should really get some opinions about thread startage, before you commence to starting threads.. Sheesh..

Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:42 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,393 Posts
Field Report Wednesday August 12, 2009

Some standing water from last night's thunderstorm. Don't land in the puddles!

Grass - OK, some clumps from the most recent mowing. I'm seriously thinking of getting and scattering some fertilizer where we usually park our cars to thicken up the grass there for less mud on our shoes and in our vehicles.

Fence - Has been reinforced with farmer fence posts and tie-wraps. Don't lean on it too hard or crash into it if you can help it!

South PG Gates - One is open, the other one we usually park at can easily be opened with a quick cut of the tie wrap!

Trees - Three at South-West end. Provide some welcome shade, but no noticeable evaporative cooling. Wait about 10 more years for them to grow bigger!

Nice solo flying there today with lower, more comfortable, temperatures than we've had in some time.

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Aug 12, 2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:32 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Jeff and I will be there about 1100 today. Jeff's got a new PZ Su to maiden. I've got my flanker, biplane, and big heli.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:48 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I'll try to be there. I didn't bring anything to fly today though so I'll just be watching.

I'll bring planes tomorrow.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,393 Posts
Have Outrage, will Fly today!

Jim
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:39 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,393 Posts
Great PG Reunion Today!

Bob, Jeff, Craig, me, and Matt all sweltered.

My Outrage made a really good R/C Fan!

Enjoyed seeing Matt's Surfer fly some, and also that spacey-wing-thing of his, plans hopefully to follow.

Nice to see and to hear Bob's jet again after a long time. Too bad I got there a few minutes too late to see his biplane do a bombing run with the LiPo and then crash. CA to follow.

Jeff seemed to do well with his brand new Sukhoi BNF. A little trimming there to go yet, perhaps. Mine is still pristine and unflown. Perhaps this weekend...

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Aug 15, 2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:13 PM
Matt Scott
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Nov 2007
50 Posts
It was nice to see you guys again and meet the people I haven't met before. I'll get my "spacey-wing-thing" plans up tonight after work.

Matt
Falcon929 is offline Find More Posts by Falcon929
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:34 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,393 Posts
Matt:

When you put those plans up, whatever you call the plane will be what I will gladly call it here.

I got a lead on a possible indoor flying site for us Parade Ground Pilots. Heiser Hall, the old movie theater. Directly West of the PG. Has a bullet-catcher drum and sandbag thingie out front. Seats about 200, so I guess we'd fly over the seats and do takeoffs and landings from the stage or the aisles. There is a reservation process, and a key to go get and to take back afterwards. Anyone interested in persuing this further? I'll be glad to do some legwork if there is sufficient interest.

Jim
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:39 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
is it air conditioned?
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:44 PM
Matt Scott
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Nov 2007
50 Posts
Don't worry Jim I take it in good fun. Besides I kind of like "spacey-wing-thing"
Falcon929 is offline Find More Posts by Falcon929
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:53 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,393 Posts
My best guess on the A/C, Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala
is it air conditioned?
Craig:

I did not ask that question specifically.

I see where MWR and AAFES is using it this Friday for Free Movie Friday, Fast and Furious 4. Simply show up before 6:00pm and grab a seat. See you there!!

Somehow I doubt they would ask each soldier on post to bring their own block of ice to help cool the place off during the movie!

All that said, I have no idea if they keep it air conditioned all/most of the time, or if you have to go over several hours before to cool the place down. For an hour flying session at lunch time, if we had to go over 3 hours beforehand to start cooling down, that might not be practical.

Speaking of movies, I remember going to lots of movies in a huge auditorium at the University of Illinois, Urbana, Il. We made paper airplanes and threw them from the balcony, trying to reach the stage. The place smelled a little funny, with people smoking here and there during the movie, even though they were not supposed to. I lead such a sheltered life that I did not know till many years later what the funny smell was. But somehow going to the movies there always made me feel good!

Jim
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:07 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Again today at 1100. Remember to go to the other side so we can have some shade. There's a dirt road that I believe we can access from the parking lot of the Heiser Hall directly W of the field.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,393 Posts
Sounds good to me. In fact, I plan to bring a surprise guest!

Jim
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:24 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,393 Posts
Terrific time flying on the North Side under the shade pavilions with bleachers, even PortaJohns. Flying into the sun takes some getting used to. But the shade was wonderful!

Nice to have Chuck fly with us.

If anyone finds a white foam biplane wing strut with carbon rod reinforcement, it's probably mine from my trusty Outrage.

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Aug 15, 2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Added two photos