HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:49 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm gonna send an email to Efly anyway (re an Align SP Glider).

Actually I just bought a Multiplex Blizzard last week but I think I'd be a little apprehensive about throwing it off a cliff at this stage!!

And don't know if this site would help in finding some reasonable slope spots?

http://www.hgfa.asn.au/~hgawa/sites/perth/perth.html
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Last edited by Goody63; Aug 19, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm gonna send an email to Efly anyway (re an Align SP Glider).

Actually I just bought a Multiplex Blizzard last week but I think I'd be a little apprehensive about throwing it off a cliff at this stage!!

And don't know if this site would help in finding some reasonable slope spots?

http://www.hgfa.asn.au/~hgawa/sites/perth/perth.html
Hi Goody,

Have you built the Blizzard yet? If so what set up did you use with fathers day coming up my kids are looking for something to buy me!!

Cheers Kx
kx315 is offline Find More Posts by kx315
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:26 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thanks for the link Goody, I think gizzo posted that link earlier (then removed it), all I can say is...WOW, Hangliders must be very efficient flying machines to stay up on those little slopes/dunes. I wonder what their wing loading is ?

I've got another question for the Perth locals;

What's wrong with Garden Island ?
It looks to have good potential as a slope site, is public access restricted or is it a nature preserve of some sort ?
I can see that it does have a small airport, but that appears to be far enough away from the cliffs on the other end of the Island to not present a problem.
I just want to know if I'll be wasting my time driving down to the site to check it out.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Last edited by TSnake; Aug 19, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:58 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
Thanks for the link Goody, I think gizzo posted that link earlier (then removed it), all I can say is...WOW, Hangliders must be very efficient flying machines to stay up on those little slopes/dunes. I wonder what their wing loading is ?

I've got another question for the Perth locals;

What's wrong with Garden Island ?
It looks to have good potential as a slope site, is public access restricted or is it a nature preserve of some sort ?
I can see that it does have a small airport, but that appears to be far enough away from the cliffs on the other end of the Island to not present a problem.
I just want to know if I'll be wasting my time driving down to the site to check it out.
Its a Naval Base most of the island is restricted so yep not worth the drive.

Cheers Kx
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:03 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thanks, Hmm... I've got a military I.D. (just as long as the gate keeper doesn't ask why I want entry).

Actually, why does one of the photos show people on the beach and boats in the bay ? Would they all be Pusser's (Naval personnel) ?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:21 AM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
Thanks, Hmm... I've got a military I.D. (just as long as the gate keeper doesn't ask why I want entry).

Actually, why does one of the photos show people on the beach and boats in the bay ? Would they all be Pusser's (Naval personnel) ?
If you have a boat there are one or two bays from memory on the rear of the island that are accessible to the public.

Cheers Kx
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:47 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx315
Hi Goody,

Have you built the Blizzard yet? If so what set up did you use with fathers day coming up my kids are looking for something to buy me!!

Cheers Kx

Hey Kx

No its not built yet.

However I'm just gonna start off by using some bits I've already got lying around (which match some other builds I've seen on RC groups anyway).

Turnigy 35-36C 1100kv (but go the SK Turnigy version if you need to buy one - it puts out a heap more power (around 500 watts) and I think its cheaper).
10 x 6 folding prop (but I may upgrade to 10 x7) and 40mm spinner
Turnigy Plush 30amp speedie (but go a 40 amp if you need to buy one - especially for the SK motor)
HXT 900 servos all round.

Lipos will be either Zippy 1800 20C or Rhino 2150 25C. I have both.

Yes, its all Hobby City gear but I got the kit from Perth RC.

This setup should give about 310 watts which should still give it good performance.

Sorry Tsnake about puting this on this thread but I I believe they are okay to slope too?
Last edited by Goody63; Aug 23, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:55 AM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63
Hey Kx

No its not built yet.

However I'm just gonna start off by using some bits I've already got lying around (which matchs some other builds I've seen on RC groups anyway).

Turnigy 35-36C 1100kv (but go the SK Turnigy version if you need to buy one - it puts out a heap more power (around 500 watts) and I think its cheaper).
10 x 6 folding prop (but I may upgrade to 10 x7) and 40mm spinner
Turnigy Plush 30amp speedie (but go a 40 amp if you need to buy one - especially for the SK motor)
HXT 900 servos all round.

Lipos will be either Zippy 1800 20C or Rhino 2150 25C. I have both.

Yes, its all Hobby City gear but I got the kit from Perth RC.

This setup should give about 310 watts which should still give it good performance.

Sorry Tsnake about puting this on this thread but I I believe they are okay to slope too?
Good point Goody sorry Tsnake didn't mean to hijack

Pretty close to the set up I will use the Turnigy 35-36 1400Kv 40amp ESC 9x6 folding prop & Outrage 2200 20c lipo with the HXT servos as well.

Cheers Kx
Old Aug 20, 2009, 01:19 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,095 Posts
[QUOTE=TSnake]Thanks for the link Goody, I think gizzo posted that link earlier (then removed it),

Yeah sorry about that,a buddy emailed me to say that the link I put upincluded a virus so I removed it to save everyone a hassle.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:26 AM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
384 Posts
Virus gone

The link is now clear. I was an little pst called html/ frame. Good to see the site virus protection cleaned it up quickly. Thanks Gizzo for you quick action
emufingers is offline Find More Posts by emufingers
Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:45 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Quote:
If you have a boat there are one or two bays from memory on the rear of the island that are accessible to the public.
Damn, I wish I had a boat. Those cliffs are adjacent to the bay.
Quote:
After looking at some video of Blizzard's in action, I'd be apprehensive too, those things are FAST !
With the small lift zone of the sites I've found so far, they'd be a handfull to keep close to the cliff.
Quote:
No appology needed, they would be a blast on some of the big cliffs in Esperance or Albany.
And I've done my fair share of "hijacking" in the past, so I don't mind, and it's all good information.
Quote:
Yeah sorry about that,a buddy emailed me to say that the link I put upincluded a virus so I removed it to save everyone a hassle.

From memory, the link you posted did look like the same link as posted above. However when I clicked on your link gizzo, my computer immediately started flashing virus allert messages, I shut it down and ran a scan, but the damage was already done. I had 2 trojans that couldn't be removed without massive corruption.
I ended up buying a copy of Vista, formatting my hard drive, and starting all over again.
I knew my luck couldn't last forever.
Last edited by TSnake; Aug 20, 2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:17 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I'll update the first post with details as I get them, so if anyone wants to let us know some things about the sites mentioned so far (or in the future) please PM me.
Otherwise, I'll be forced to fly at all of them myself to gather info (I can think of worse ways to spend my time )
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:14 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I got to fly both Stratham's Quarry and Mountain Quarry today, and Mountain Quarry was far better.
Stratham's lift was very turbulant, in fact there seemed to be areas of sink in the most inconveniant spots. The wind was strong and from the ideal direction, but I suspect that the air in the bowl was being disturbed as it entered the mouth of the Quarry.
I tried for about 3 hours to figure it out, but most flights lasted only about 2 minutes before the plane was sucked down and I was forced to land on the flats below. Only having 3 planes with me, meant alot of walking.
The best lift that I could find was directly above the edge and out to about 20 feet. Every time I ventured forward, the plane found a pocket of sink, and lost too much altutude for me to recover.
A bungee launch may worth a try here, as I suspect the lift would get better the higher you go (today I wasn't able to climb more than 30 feet above the cliff).
Also, I'm sure it will get better once the rocks get some heat in them.
Overall, Stratham's was dissapointing today.

I decided to give Mountain Quarry (that's the name on the sign post) a try, but really didn't expect it to be any different. The wind had died down a little so I only took 1 plane up with me, as I was sure it would be another 2 minute flight.
The first thing I realised is that Mountain Quarry is alot higher than Stratham's, and the main face is well above the mouth of the Quarry (I was hoping that that fact would lessen the turbulance).
The second thing I realised is that the track leading up to the edge is very dangerous. It's a goat track that takes you within inches of the edge (no fences, hand rails or barriers) and it was slippery and wet. If you slip and fall over the cliff...you'll die.

Once up top, I threw the DIU up, and instantly had a big idiotic grin on my face.
It hit lift and rose surprisingly quickly condidering the amount of wind on my face. I kept it in close at first and got to do some aerobatics for about 10 minutes. Then I whipped it over my head and landed it gently at my feet.
COOL, THAT WAS EASY !!!, I had to have another go.
After another 10 minutes in the air, I decided to get adventurous and see how big the area of lift was. I pushed it out to about 80 feet, and the lift just got better, after another 5 minutes of playing in my expanded zone, I pushed it out to 100 feet.
And it gently started to wash off height, this was no problem, just turn it back and circle around.
I then tried to move the plane left and right along the edge, and that's when my flight came to an end. There are obviously no-go areas with sink, and I just need some time to figure out where they are.
Overall, Mountain Quarry is a fun place to fly, as long as you don't expect too much.
Coming from Townsville, I've been spoilt rotten, with its huge cliffs and clean lift.

One other thing, the lovely lady who gave me permission to fly here, suggested that I try a place called Wungong Dam, as the public has access to the wall. Has anyone heard of this place, or flown from there ?
Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:50 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Very interesting info there TSnake.I am keen to set up a bit of a sloper for our windy summer.
How do you reckon a Funjet would go as a sloper? I also have a Slinger wing which may be okay perhaps? The other planes I have that may fit the bill are the old faithful EZ* and I also have an EZG Pro but I quite like the idea of the old battered Funjet.I don't really want to spend on a sloper just yet as it appears that sites are few and far between in our flatarse capital...
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Aug 22, 2009, 08:37 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary
Very interesting info there TSnake.I am keen to set up a bit of a sloper for our windy summer.
How do you reckon a Funjet would go as a sloper? I also have a Slinger wing which may be okay perhaps? The other planes I have that may fit the bill are the old faithful EZ* and I also have an EZG Pro but I quite like the idea of the old battered Funjet.I don't really want to spend on a sloper just yet as it appears that sites are few and far between in our flatarse capital...
Bleary.
Hey Bleary

Checked out the DIU sloper deal from efly?

2 landed for around $80 AUD (i.e $40 each) http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/views.asp?hw_id=1831

Details to the build thread in post 14.

Just about cheap enough to throw off a cliff?