SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1 Posts
Hello! Mr.Ospreyman.
I am Denpong. I live in Thailand. I love your V-22 Osprey model. I'd like to know that your model use Gyro or not if in dose I'd like to know that how to connect the Gyro with the set of eletronic in your model.

This is my eletronic set

This is my V-22 model

I am Thai so I am a fraid that my English isn't good enough_sorry!
Thank you for your kindness.
deeny is offline Find More Posts by deeny
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:22 PM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Sorry Guys. Too windy at the Nats. Got to wait for calmer weather . Will post again when flown
Ospreyman is offline Find More Posts by Ospreyman
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:27 PM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Hello Denpong,
Your English is better than my Thai. I should explain that my Osprey is NOT R/c but CONTROL LINE or U-control in USA so it does not need a gyro to remain stable I hope tis explains my model.
Your model looks very good an I think that the gyros you have will work well. please let me know how it works out
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:10 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
623 Posts
U/Tronics

Alan
Permission granted!!! LOL
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:40 PM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospreyman
Sorry Guys. Too windy at the Nats. Got to wait for calmer weather . Will post again when flown
You're a difficult guy to track down. Evey time I went to the C/L Scale they sent me to the Carrier where they told me I had just missed you. This happened Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
Your Osprey looked very nice though. I was wanting to ask you about the controls and tilt mechanism. Maybe you could explain a bit more on this Forum. Next year's Nationals is too long to wait.
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:15 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Electrotor,
Sorry I missed you at the Nats. It was a bit manic.
Ok, The tilt rotor mechanism works as follows. I have a a 13kg Tower pro metal geared servo mounted under the bottom of the wing centre section. a brass tube ( 8mm i.d. ) with a 25mm brass horn silver soldered to it is permanently fixed to the 8mm o.d. carbon fibre tube which connects the two nacelles ( see pic in previous post) a short pushrod fits between the servo output arm and the brass horn. this gives me 95 degrees of movement, from horizontal to 5 deg past vertical. the flaps are also connected to the servo so I go from 80 deg flap when nacelles are vertical to 0 deg flap when horizontal, automatically, as I dont have the co ordination to work throttle, tilt, flap and elevator at the same time with just two hands. I suppose it could be done but I think I would end up with a blue foam snow storm LOL.

The speed controllers are set up on a Y lead with one red wire disconnected.One 4000 mAh 3s lipo provides the urge.

The electronic controls are achieved but using an R/C encoder and decoder and sending the signal down the insulated control lines. Basicallly its R/C without the radio. I use a defunct Futaba challenger TX encoder ( thats the big circuit board) and a Sanwa Rx ( decoder) in the model. I will run an article with pics in this thread in the next couple of weeks as I am making up a new handle.

The system I use is a bit big and clunky but it works for me . A far better alternative is to get hold of Clancy Arnold ( see earlier posts) he started with a converted Kraft set way back when Adam was a lad and Pontius was a pilot. but unlike me, has progressed this into a much smaller, lighter and simpler set up which gives 4 channels.

While we are talking about channels consider this. In a conventional R/C model you will need four channels just for throttle, aileron, rudder and elevator.

in a control liner you dont need elevator or rudder or ailerons so your 4 channels can be throttle, flaps, retracts, and bomb drop or whatever . So 4 c/l channels really equates to 7 R/C channels.

Speak to Clancy. His system is very keenly priced ( especially with the exchange rate) and he will post to UK
Hope these ramblings help

Alan
Last edited by Ospreyman; Sep 01, 2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:42 PM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
Helpful ramblings indeed Alan, so thanks for the description. I look forward to the the info on the new handle.

I have tried 3 line which was great as it added throttle. I then tried power down the lines which is very limiting and subject to big voltage drops and low current but OK for indoor. They even gave me a 10 minute slot in the Barkston hangar one night a few years ago to demonstrate it. The latest is power on board, but, like a whole load of frustrated people at the weekend I couldn't fly due to high winds. I was aware that Clancy Arnold had done some work with r/c components so I will look into this.

Thanks again.
Eric
Old Sep 02, 2009, 04:26 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Hi Eric,
Funny you should mention on board power for electric C/L. My pal Trevor Tabor and I Have the use of a farmers hay field near where we live and he allows us to fly 'quiet' models. we fly Rubber- P20, P30 and Coupe D'hiver, Electic free flight and R/c Gliders there.
Our latest project is to make up an 18' long by 3' wide 'landing strip' from 4mm corex ( which we can get for nothing) this will be shaped much like a carrier deck but each of the 6 3' sections will be hinged with gaffer tape so that the whole thing an be folded up concertina style. It will be 'shaped' so that the centre line is 50' from the 'centre spot'.
We can then lay our corex strip onto practically any surface to provide a good take off area for electric models with small wheels.

I dont know if you noticed the Horizon models stand at the Nats. they had on show an e-flite stearman and an e-flite PT-19 Cornell. The Cornell is actually supplied with a bellcrank, line guides and tip weight for C/L use and they advertise that it can be converted to R/C in 5 minutes.
Our Plan is to buy the Cornell and the Stearman and convert the Stearman for C/L too

The recommended motor and esc are e-flites own and horrendously expensive. I have been buying electric motors etc direct from Hobby King in USA and I can get a 400W Turnigy brushless motor and a matching Esc POSTED to Uk for less than the price of E-flites motor alone.
I will keep you posted on how that little lot pans out.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 04:37 AM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
No I didn't spot these models on the Horizon stand. It was not for lack of time spent in the traders zone.
Try Giantcod for your electric flight supplies. Same gear as other retailers but half the price. The selection of motors is enormous.
Even with LiPos and brushless, the weight of batteries onboard is still an issue.
We have gone off topic now, so perhaps it is time to start another thread.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:04 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Point taken Eric,
When I start the control system thread I will put a link to it here..
Old Sep 04, 2009, 02:29 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Ok guys follow this link to the control system build log

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post13034460
Last edited by Ospreyman; Sep 05, 2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:14 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
I know its windy in the UK but I thought I would do a hover test anyway the result is a short vid at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post13043652