HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:22 PM
Fairport, NY
Joined Aug 2009
20 Posts
Discussion
New here wanted to introduce myself.

Hi my name is jason and i am new to the hobby. With two flights I have a total of about 25 second of flight time behind me. I currentlly own an E-flite Apprentice and think in theory it is a great plane. Im sure i will have many questions aboutlots of stuff.
jdoenumber2 is offline Find More Posts by jdoenumber2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:38 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
welcome dude.

one flight that laster 25 seconds and one crash, or two 12.5 second flights?
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:12 PM
Fairport, NY
Joined Aug 2009
20 Posts
First 10 seconds. Second 15 seconds.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Feb 2009
49 Posts
I take it then you are flying without an instructor and/or buddy box?

They are highly recommended with the Apprentice. Have an instructor trim out the plane before you fly it.

Before I flew my Apprentice I had a lot of practice on the flight sims then I had a buddy box for a while. The instructor would get it up to altitude then I would fly circuits either clockwise or counter clockwise and I got the feel for it up high. If I lost orientation (flying too far out) the instructor saved the plane for me.

Once I got more comfortable just cruising around I started practicing approaches for landings. Just kept doing them over and over. Eventually some of the approaches turned into landings. Takeoff was the easy part. If you are on grass (as I was) it is important to give it lots of up elevator to keep the nose from tipping down.

It is a great trainer. But having an instructor saved my Apprentice from crashes at least 3 or 4 times.
kirch is offline Find More Posts by kirch
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoenumber2
Hi my name is jason and i am new to the hobby. With two flights I have a total of about 25 second of flight time behind me. I currentlly own an E-flite Apprentice and think in theory it is a great plane. Im sure i will have many questions aboutlots of stuff.
Hi jdoe,

That cracked me up...

Welcome aboard, and glad to have you on the best RC forum in existence!

You already beat my record. My first two flights lasted as long as it took to send the plane into the ground at full throttle.

Got out of my truck, walked 100 yards to the middle of the field... fired up the motor, and heaved it into the ground, destroying it.

Went back to the Hobby Shop, bought another one just like it, and did exactly the same thing the second time around.

You already got me beat...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:46 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Hi Jason and welcome to the nut house. We are just a bunch of airplane addicts here with some of the nicest and most helpful guys you'll ever meet. I would strongly suggest you find some one to help you though before your plane ends up as a pile of foam. The Apprentice is a nice plane but not really one I would recommend trying to fly alone. Good luck.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
Fairport, NY
Joined Aug 2009
20 Posts
I am one to only learn the hard way. All i have to say is god bless Gorilla Glue and dryer vent tape. Like my other hobby im sure this is going to cost a fortune and have limited success in the beginning. Only with time will i learn the joys a nice peaceful flight that this plane was designed for. Until i did any research i had my heart set out on a EDF jet from nitroplanes.com. So i guess i picked the lesser of the two evils.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:40 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^But you still didn't pick the optimal choice. Something like a Super Cub or Easy Star would have been the ideal route
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:35 AM
Fairport, NY
Joined Aug 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
^But you still didn't pick the optimal choice. Something like a Super Cub or Easy Star would have been the ideal route
Thank you for the advice.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Quote:
I am one to only learn the hard way.
Welcome to the hobby! I am also one to only learn the hard way. I taught myself to fly helis first, then airplanes. The experience has been bitter at times, but the taste of success has been rather sweet. There is something to be said about learning something on your own. It's also very satisfying to show up at the flying field with both helis and airplanes and fly both with confidence .
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Aug 11, 2009, 03:52 PM
Fairport, NY
Joined Aug 2009
20 Posts
Amen brother!!! It was up up and away today!!! No crashes. Although the motor and ESC got fried. Didn't lose control of plane at all. Only lost sight when it was in line with sun. I took a deep breath and said a prayer. Glided it home to safety. Went to LHS and the helped me out. I got a size 25 E-flite motor and E-flite 40 Amp ESC. I know thats more power and it will have the potential to get me in trouble. Fun day all in all. Going out later again.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:00 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Amen brother!!! It was up up and away today!!! No crashes. Although the motor and ESC got fried. Didn't lose control of plane at all. Only lost sight when it was in line with sun. I took a deep breath and said a prayer. Glided it home to safety. Went to LHS and the helped me out. I got a size 25 E-flite motor and E-flite 40 Amp ESC. I know thats more power and it will have the potential to get me in trouble. Fun day all in all. Going out later again.
did you go with the cheaper of the two 40A esc, or did you drop the cash for the 40A pro, with the aluminium heat sink?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:42 PM
Fairport, NY
Joined Aug 2009
20 Posts
Actually i got this one.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLA1040L Same price from LHS.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:01 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Actually i got this one.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLA1040L Same price from LHS.

good call. its the same as the second one, save the heat sink.

having a large burst capacity, isnt a bad thing.

did you figure out why you fried the last setup? was it pnp, or rtf?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 06:37 PM
Fairport, NY
Joined Aug 2009
20 Posts
Its the RTF. What happened was..... Magnets on housing came unglued and seized the motor, causing the Esc to get fried. At the LHS we looked at the motor and determined that the motor must of over heated? It was about 25 minutes till i got to the LHS and the motor was still warm. From day one there was always a slight scraping. Almost as quiet as a ticking coming form the motor when i would spin it unpowered. After some successful flights it started to grind. Then it was all down hill.