HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:16 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum 6100e range problems

I'm having problems with a 6100e receiver. I've range tested it and it seems ok, but when flying it loses range at about 200-250 yards. I've lost one plane to this receiver (complete wreck but radio, motor etc ok) and would have lost another tonight if it hadn't have been my ultra bouncable Zagi .
Any suggestions to why, and can/will Horizon do anything if I send it to them to check it out? (knew I should have bought the AR500!!)
Oh, as a side note, does anybody know if you can set spoilerons (ailerons up) on a AR500?

Cheers for any input.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:32 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,830 Posts
Read this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092786
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Last edited by davecee; Aug 10, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:53 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,506 Posts
Sounds like a defective receiver or an installation problem. Are you sure the TX is OK?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:36 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
Tx is fine....just been serviced by Horizon UK. Only problem it had was 2 x trim switches broken (repaired with epoxy!! and trainer switch broke off). I've used 6100's before on 2m gliders and had no problem, so I'm putting this fault down to this Rx.

Cheers for the link.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:16 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,424 Posts
What was the plane that crashed? Maybe the AR6100 is not suitable for that type of a plane.

i.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2009, 06:55 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo
Oh, as a side note, does anybody know if you can set spoilerons (ailerons up) on a AR500?
It as been talked about a lot in many threads, UNLESS you have DX7 you will not be able to do it RIGHT. Extensive programming is needed to program the AR500 to work as a 6ch RX with flaps or spoilerons, that with the multiple mixing options of the DX7 can be done.

AR500 extra aileron chan is simply a copy of the first aileron channel.
So programming must be used to have the gear chan mimic the ailerons channel, then more programming is needed to disable the gear switch and more programming is needed for flaps or spoilerons.

I use AR500 as a DUAL SERVO DUAL AILERON setup with DX6i. 1 mix is used to disable the gear switch and the other mix is used to have the gear channel copy or move like the aileron channel.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:54 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,245 Posts
With the DX6i, can you get the trim to function on the second aileron using a P-mix from aileron to ch 5?
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:47 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
Ivanc, the plane that is now in my (extensive) graveyard was an Align F16 pusher jet. I don't think the model or material of the plane (foam) has anything to do with the crash. AR500's worked without any problems previously. And the Rx was stuffed half way down the fuse away from motor,esc etc. The Rx was close to the esc in the Zagi, but I feel that the Rx is at fault, not the Tx or layout etc. Guess I'll send it to Horizon and see if they can tell me anything. BTW, Horizons service response is A1, my Tx was received Tues at 1.35pm and I received back on Thurs only 2 days later. With customer service this good I will always consider Horizon products first.

Cheers for the info on AR500's and the DX7. I'm looking to upgrade my Tx as I've now got a Topmodel Gem and I'm looking for a Tx with more functions. I've been told I'll need a 9ch to do what I want (reflex, camber and full flaps) but I'll check out the programming features of the 7 first. Just wish they did a 9ch (yeah, I know JR is Horizon too but I meant a Spektrum branded 9ch)
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:31 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo
Ivanc, the plane that is now in my (extensive) graveyard was an Align F16 pusher jet. I don't think the model or material of the plane (foam) has anything to do with the crash. AR500's worked without any problems previously. And the Rx was stuffed half way down the fuse away from motor,esc etc. The Rx was close to the esc in the Zagi, but I feel that the Rx is at fault, not the Tx or layout etc. Guess I'll send it to Horizon and see if they can tell me anything. BTW, Horizons service response is A1, my Tx was received Tues at 1.35pm and I received back on Thurs only 2 days later. With customer service this good I will always consider Horizon products first.

Cheers for the info on AR500's and the DX7. I'm looking to upgrade my Tx as I've now got a Topmodel Gem and I'm looking for a Tx with more functions. I've been told I'll need a 9ch to do what I want (reflex, camber and full flaps) but I'll check out the programming features of the 7 first. Just wish they did a 9ch (yeah, I know JR is Horizon too but I meant a Spektrum branded 9ch)
I'm not familiar with the model. The reason I asked is that the AR6100 does not have antenna diversity - it has a single antenna (with two "whiskers") which can be easily shadowed by a chunk or a sheet of metal. A Li-Po pack in fact is a sheet of metal and if it is large enough or if the receiver is close enough to it it may effectively shadow the receiver antenna in a specific plane orientation. Something the AR500 is immune to as it has two antennas which when properly set up (with enough distance between the two and 90º to each other) provides antenna diversity - even if one of the two antennas is shadowed chances the other one is also shadowed are slim.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread