HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
There is one thing I really don't get:

Why is it, that the hugest (available) Walkera CoAx has the tiniest ESC connector ?? This is completely illogical ....
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:50 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
There is one thing I really don't get:

Why is it, that the hugest (available) Walkera CoAx has the tiniest ESC connector ?? This is completely illogical ....
Those were the parts they had on hand in the bin the day they made them...

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:42 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,793 Posts
Sven, do you mean the white connector or the JST's on the controller?

How hard are you throttling up? Sometimes you need to full throttle cycle after binding to get both rotors to spool up. Not sure why this happens. Try a slight adjustment on the sensitivity pot as well, they can get a bit sticky from manufacture. Mark the position and then cycle it fully a few times.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:09 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Sven,

Do what i did change to another radio system, take you pick.

If you need advice on this (don't think so) just PM me or Post, ok

Barry
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
Last edited by Flying Barry; Feb 27, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:57 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
Sven, do you mean the white connector or the JST's on the controller?

How hard are you throttling up? Sometimes you need to full throttle cycle after binding to get both rotors to spool up. Not sure why this happens. Try a slight adjustment on the sensitivity pot as well, they can get a bit sticky from manufacture. Mark the position and then cycle it fully a few times.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I am not sure if I understand that right ... I mark the position of my sensitive dial and then just turn it fully a few times?? Full throttle cycle ... didn't work .
RE: connectors: it is one of the JST connectors that does not seem to let power through .... (even though that white 5wire plug is a major PITA in my eyes ... it is not even possible to plug it in reverse to see if that changes something ... or is that just me??) I will write to MM and see, what they tell me regarding my problem ...

Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Barry View Post
Sven,

Do what i did change to another radio system, take you pick.

If you need advice on this (don't think so) just PM me or Post, ok

Barry
Hi Barry,

that is for sure what I intend to do ... I don't feel like buying a 2801 pro in addition to my DX6i to fly all my Walkeras with, so I will in the end set this bird up with Spektrum DSM2.
I was just hoping to get it in the air and hover a little, before I start that endeavor, as I am not sure once I start, how long it will take me until I finally finish it ...

Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2010, 12:16 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
Hi Sven,
I´m sorry to hear you have problems with your Lama.
Did you get any reply from MM?
Timo
Speedster S1 is offline Find More Posts by Speedster S1
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster S1 View Post
Hi Sven,
I´m sorry to hear you have problems with your Lama.
Did you get any reply from MM?
Timo
Hi Timo,

emailed them yesterday night, had my reply this morning. They say I will get another speed controler ... just hope that will really solve the problem (I mean all the testing indicates that it could not be anything else but the speedcontrol so if I get a new one the problem should be solved ...

Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2010, 04:40 PM
SO MANY TOYS, SO LITTLE TIME
portsmouth uk
Joined Jan 2010
461 Posts
come on then , someone convince me why i should buy a 400d then , ive heard loads of reasons not to , now i want reasons why i should, i really wanted a lm3 but to pricey i am still wavering on the edge of what to do -give up and save my money or spend it on a 400d
go single rotor (might work out pricey with crashes though) or listen to mark or mel and upgrade one (will it handle a bit of wind 1-5 mph) or take the dreaded rolex's advise (no offence meant) and and and and and WHAT!!!!! It would seem if i want to carry on with this hobby i only have one sensibly priced choice----------------doesn't it????????????
oh i give up
simon
citroen1919 is offline Find More Posts by citroen1919
Last edited by citroen1919; Mar 01, 2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: dislexia cant spell that either
Old Mar 01, 2010, 05:47 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,793 Posts
Quote:
Hi Timo,

emailed them yesterday night, had my reply this morning. They say I will get another speed controler ... just hope that will really solve the problem (I mean all the testing indicates that it could not be anything else but the speedcontrol so if I get a new one the problem should be solved ...

Sven
Thats good news Sven, by the sounds of your fault finding, this will fix the problem.

Simon, other than the occasional issue of DOA (e.g Svens problem), the 400D run as Mel runs it with just minor mods is just a bundle of fun. you have seen Mels vid of it scooting at a reasonable pace accross his yard. This is exactly what one will do in calm conditions. I have flown mine in 5km/h gusting to 10km/h and it flies fine once you have mastered how to fly it. Wind starts to hit it, turn to wind, drop power and tip forward then apply some power and it will hold it's own.

I speared mine in after putting 5 packs through it. thats an hour of almost continuous flying (yes mine is brushless so it doesn't have to be rested as much to preserve the motor bush and brushes on the stock setup). I turned hard right and it got hit by a gust and did a death roll stright nose first from about 5 meters high into the ashphalt. One blade broke and the canopy sports a mnor scratch. Why did it death roll? I let the flybar cap get loose in my hour of flying. If you check everything for tightness at the end of each flight and check for lash in the head and gearing and regularly tighten stuff up, it just keeps flying. I am still on my original 400D albeit heavily modified and I have crashed the hell out of it more than once now .

The 400D is without a doubt the best value for money big coax out there hands down.

Mark
Old Mar 01, 2010, 07:32 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by citroen1919 View Post
come on then , someone convince me why i should buy a 400d then , ive heard loads of reasons not to , now i want reasons why i should, i really wanted a lm3 but to pricey i am still wavering on the edge of what to do -give up and save my money or spend it on a 400d
go single rotor (might work out pricey with crashes though) or listen to mark or mel and upgrade one (will it handle a bit of wind 1-5 mph) or take the dreaded rolex's advise (no offence meant) and and and and and WHAT!!!!! It would seem if i want to carry on with this hobby i only have one sensibly priced choice----------------doesn't it????????????
oh i give up
simon
Don't give up Simon! That's the easy way out...

As far as the 400D is concerned, there's as many reasons why you should get one as there are why you shouldn't get one...but really it's like anything else. A whack of variables.

What are YOU looking for in a helicopter?
How good can you fly (smooth or erratic)?
What style do you like for flying (throw it all over the sky, or enjoy flying it around)?
What can you afford to fix, because trust me, GRAVITY WILL ALWAYS WIN.

if you want a top of the line TX, brushless, good performance in a coax out of the box, and you can afford to keep it flying, that'd be the L3 with the MODS done to it.

If you want a bird that's still a good learning helicopter out of the box, reasonably priced, less expensive parts, that'd be a 400D. With a couple of tweaks of the RX, an Extreme Extension shaft, it can be cheaply converted to a having better performance as your skills progress. I have no idea if the 400D could be equal to the L3 for speed and handling with it's tweaks (I'm guessing Mark would know).

Want to fly in wind? Two words...wind sock. Get one, put it where you want to fly. Watch it and you'll soon learn what conditions you can fly in and which ones not to. I put a anemometer on the shed out back. When it's reading 1-3 mph, I can fly in the back yard nicely. When it's reading 3-5 MPH, I can still fly but the 400D will tend to buck as the gusts hit it (it's the gusts that are a PITA, just a breeze is easier to fly in). In wind I have to fly more aggressively to combat the wind, get the nose down and charge into the wind. I tend to fly in the mornings and late evenings when the wind is 0-2 and it's more relaxing for me.

If you want a performer you can toss all over the sky, reasonable to fix, easy to hover but she'll go if you want it to, a Blade mSR. I was out with mine today in 4-5 MPH wind. Oh yea, it'll cut through that NO PROBLEM! But oh boy it can get to be a handful in a hurry in those gusts. In trouble, if you cut the throttle and just let it fall on the lawn, no sweat. It doesn't weigh enough to hurt itself unless you smack something flat out. You can even fly indoors when the weather is crummy. Price is about the same as 400D.

I haven't had any fun flying the 400D in the house. It's just too big to do any more than hovering and it kicks up a heck of wind storm.

I know when I was starting, if someone told me I'd be taking the 400D apart and doing maintenance and mods on it, I'd have said it was beyond my ability. But thanks to the guidance of the others on this list, it's so easy I wonder why I thought it was "black magic". I also have to say that the 400D is WAY easier to "fix" than the mSR (it's really tiny to work on). The head on the L3 looks complex to me so if I started bending things on it I'd be a little nervous....

And ultimately, like me, maybe it's not what you get that's all that important, but how good it flies out of the box. My first 400D was the BEST setup heli that I'd ever taken out of a box and tried to fly. Hands off hover the first flight after a very minor trim. That sold me. My second 400D needed linkage adjustment to do that.

So whatever you decide, keep us in the loop. I'd want to hear how you're doing!

Mel
Old Mar 01, 2010, 07:39 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Simon, other than the occasional issue of DOA (e.g Svens problem), the 400D run as Mel runs it with just minor mods is just a bundle of fun. you have seen Mels vid of it scooting at a reasonable pace accross his yard. This is exactly what one will do in calm conditions.
Mark
Mark, you have coined the PERFECT definition of the way mine flies. It "scoots"! WooHoo! And really, thats about my style of flying too...!!!

I think I'm going to have to stencil that on the side of my canopy..."Scooter"....

Mel
Old Mar 01, 2010, 07:55 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitguy View Post
Mark, you have coined the PERFECT definition of the way mine flies. It "scoots"! WooHoo! And really, thats about my style of flying too...!!!

I think I'm going to have to stencil that on the side of my canopy..."Scooter"....

Mel
Hey Mel.. Mine scoots when it's not "crunching". LOL

I really must find a suitable camera person to capture the good, the bad and the ugly.

On the 400D v L3 for speed, I suspect the L3 with extender will be capable of a lot faster flight than the 400, however the 400D is not bad for what it is.

Cheers.... Mark
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:09 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Hey Mel.. Mine scoots when it's not "crunching". LOL

I really must find a suitable camera person to capture the good, the bad and the ugly.

On the 400D v L3 for speed, I suspect the L3 with extender will be capable of a lot faster flight than the 400, however the 400D is not bad for what it is.

Cheers.... Mark
Given that both have an extender, apart from the fact that the L3 swings some larger blades, I wonder how much faster...oh cool thought, Heli Drag Racing...

Mel
Old Mar 01, 2010, 11:41 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
Quote:
Hi Timo,

Sven
I hope this would solve the problem!

Timo
Speedster S1 is offline Find More Posts by Speedster S1