SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:28 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster S1 View Post
Hey Mike,
there are 2 different versions of the lower rotor head.
One, where you can use the original Walkera blade grips and one where you need also the blade grips from Skytec.
I wasn't aware of that, great information to know! Normally I end up buying the wrong parts "twice"...

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:33 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
This is the one you use with the original Walkera grips:
http://www.helischrauber.de/shop/pro...roducts_id=470

This one is only working with the Skytec grips:
http://www.helischrauber.de/shop/pro...roducts_id=137

Timo
Speedster S1 is offline Find More Posts by Speedster S1
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:39 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster S1 View Post
This is the one you use with the original Walkera grips:
http://www.helischrauber.de/shop/pro...roducts_id=470

This one is only working with the Skytec grips:
http://www.helischrauber.de/shop/pro...roducts_id=137

Timo
Thanks VERY much Timo!

Mel
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:07 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
You´re welcome!
Speedster S1 is offline Find More Posts by Speedster S1
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:00 PM
SO MANY TOYS, SO LITTLE TIME
portsmouth uk
Joined Jan 2010
461 Posts
wouldn't it be nice to just by a heli and fly it straight out of the box and not have to mod it to make it do what it should do in the first place?
sure, buy mods for it to improve what you have but not to make it what it should be in the first place? if that makes sense
citroen1919 is offline Find More Posts by citroen1919
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by citroen1919 View Post
wouldn't it be nice to just by a heli and fly it straight out of the box and not have to mod it to make it do what it should do in the first place?
sure, buy mods for it to improve what you have but not to make it what it should be in the first place? if that makes sense
Truthfully that's what my first 400D was like out of the box. It was only when I got a lot better at flying it that I started to push it that I found problems. The second 400D needed a few adjustments to make it perform the same as the first (and having owned one they were simply adjustments).

Want something more challenging for the same money? Try a CB180D, Blade mSR or maybe the new Blade SR. I have the first two, I'd still rather fly the 400D (more relaxing; the mSR can make coffee nervous)...

Maybe we expect too much from some budget priced model coaxials that are really designed to hover for just about anyone out of the box and they are limited on purpose to keep pilots out of the trouble. The new L3 is the only one that doesn't really fit into what I'd class as "budget". The price, performance and target audience don't seem to really jive in my mind. But then at best my mind is a cobweb collector...

Mel
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:12 PM
portsmouth uk
Joined Jan 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitguy View Post
Truthfully that's what my first 400D was like out of the box. It was only when I got a lot better at flying it that I started to push it that I found problems. The second 400D needed a few adjustments to make it perform the same as the first (and having owned one they were simply adjustments).

Want something more challenging for the same money? Try a CB180D, Blade mSR or maybe the new Blade SR. I have the first two, I'd still rather fly the 400D (more relaxing; the mSR can make coffee nervous)...

Maybe we expect too much from some budget priced model coaxials that are really designed to hover for just about anyone out of the box and they are limited on purpose to keep pilots out of the trouble. The new L3 is the only one that doesn't really fit into what I'd class as "budget". The price, performance and target audience don't seem to really jive in my mind. But then at best my mind is a cobweb collector...

Mel
i agree with you on the budget and they certainly are a bit of fun to fly but the lm3 is so over the top on price i am thinking that a blade or similar and a 400d are the best option for me, we have a hobby shop not to far from me that sells them. they also sell re-conned procopters for £90 that are guaranteed for a year as well.(shame they don't cover the inevitable crashes though) i think i might just go for that and see how we go and may be if i can master that then move on to something a bit more advanced. i still intend to get a lm400d first as i think it will help with overall learning curve and gain experience with basic heli handling. may be i'm wrong but it still works out cheaper after all than the £400 ish that it will cost for the lm 300
till then i will just keep eating the popcorntill i sell off some of my gliders etc to raise the cash

Simon
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:38 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by citroen1919 View Post
i agree with you on the budget and they certainly are a bit of fun to fly but the lm3 is so over the top on price i am thinking that a blade or similar and a 400d are the best option for me, we have a hobby shop not to far from me that sells them. they also sell re-conned procopters for £90 that are guaranteed for a year as well.(shame they don't cover the inevitable crashes though) i think i might just go for that and see how we go and may be if i can master that then move on to something a bit more advanced. i still intend to get a lm400d first as i think it will help with overall learning curve and gain experience with basic heli handling. may be i'm wrong but it still works out cheaper after all than the £400 ish that it will cost for the lm 300
till then i will just keep eating the popcorntill i sell off some of my gliders etc to raise the cash

Simon
You're 100% right on with the L3 being priced over the top!

If I were a betting man, I'd still tend to favour that Marks twin brushless 400D would perform as good or better than the L3 even with it's mods. And maybe even cost less...

For my 400D, I WISH it had one more channel on the RX. Something I could use with my 2801 Pro so I could run anything from light switches to whatever. Just one more servo would be a gas to come up with stuff for it to do. But I think the only way to do that is to replace the RX, then add in a gyro and somehow make it all work. I'm still wearing out my first set of brushed motors so I don't even think I'd change those, just the RX and add a gyro to make it do what it do now but with more channels in the RX. Not really sure how this would be done and if it would perform as good as it does now so I haven't done it...

Mel
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
portsmouth uk
Joined Jan 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
You're 100% right on with the L3 being priced over the top!

If I were a betting man, I'd still tend to favour that Marks twin brushless 400D would perform as good or better than the L3 even with it's mods. And maybe even cost less...

For my 400D, I WISH it had one more channel on the RX. Something I could use with my 2801 Pro so I could run anything from light switches to whatever. Just one more servo would be a gas to come up with stuff for it to do. But I think the only way to do that is to replace the RX, then add in a gyro and somehow make it all work. I'm still wearing out my first set of brushed motors so I don't even think I'd change those, just the RX and add a gyro to make it do what it do now but with more channels in the RX. Not really sure how this would be done and if it would perform as good as it does now so I haven't done it...

Mel
with out a doubt mark is on top of the co-ax game and it is his posts and experimentation that has convinced me that a well moded 400 is the right way to go for the kind of flying i want to do at this time i.e. successful and not to much crashing
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:57 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,359 Posts
Hi guys,

here are my second thought (pun intended ) to my 400D ... I mustered the courage today to seriously contemplate a maiden hover in my 7X12 ft apartment (or better the room within my apartment that I can use for flying) ... just - NO maiden flight for me .

It is only one motor spinning, the second one is dead. Now I am trying to figiure if it might be in the RX (I am using the 2401 from my 5G6 with reversed servos) but it looks like it is the speed control unit to me (just need confirmation).

I swapped the motor wires and when I do, then only the other motor work - which rules out a dead motor ... I am just not 100% sure, if this also completely rules out the RX or - in other words - identifies the speed control beyond any doubt as the culprit ...

Hope one of you guys has some thoughts for me ...

Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:38 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Hi guys,

here are my second thought (pun intended ) to my 400D ... I mustered the courage today to seriously contemplate a maiden hover in my 7X12 ft apartment (or better the room within my apartment that I can use for flying) ... just - NO maiden flight for me .

It is only one motor spinning, the second one is dead. Now I am trying to figiure if it might be in the RX (I am using the 2401 from my 5G6 with reversed servos) but it looks like it is the speed control unit to me (just need confirmation).

I swapped the motor wires and when I do, then only the other motor work - which rules out a dead motor ... I am just not 100% sure, if this also completely rules out the RX or - in other words - identifies the speed control beyond any doubt as the culprit ...

Hope one of you guys has some thoughts for me ...

Regards,
Sven
The RX that's in my 400D's is the 2419. Will a 2401 actually run a 400D ESC? Mark is going to have to weigh in on this one, other than changing the ESC wires around to test both outputs of the RX, I don't know of any other way to test the ESC.

Never seen any ESC test circuits...sure hope you get it figured out Sven!

Mel
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,359 Posts
Quote:
The RX that's in my 400D's is the 2419. Will a 2401 actually run a 400D ESC? Mark is going to have to weigh in on this one, other than changing the ESC wires around to test both outputs of the RX, I don't know of any other way to test the ESC.

Never seen any ESC test circuits...sure hope you get it figured out Sven!

Mel
Hi Mel,

apart from the fact that I think those micro plugs on the RX are a absolutely major PITA (!!! ) ... at least that is how I understood the Walkera "commercials"/advertisements ... use any 2.4G TX you want and the thing will bind ... should I have misunderstood something there

I will try your suggestion with swapping the ESC wires in the TX (if I manage to get those darn plugs out of it anyway) and see where that gets me ... and if it doesn't help I hope for some enlightening word from Mark.
Once those options are exhausted, I will write MM and see what they are going to tell me ...

Thanks,
Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:44 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mel,

apart from the fact that I think those micro plugs on the RX are a absolutely major PITA (!!! ) ... at least that is how I understood the Walkera "commercials"/advertisements ... use any 2.4G TX you want and the thing will bind ... should I have misunderstood something there

I will try your suggestion with swapping the ESC wires in the RX (if I manage to get those darn plugs out of it anyway) and see where that gets me ... and if it doesn't help I hope for some enlightening word from Mark.
Once those options are exhausted, I will write MM and see what they are going to tell me ...

Thanks,
Sven
I think the Walkera commercials are probably like Henry Fords first car colour. You can have your brand new Ford in any colour you so long as it's black..

And yep, I finally get what plug you're talking about. I was thinking the servo plugs and you meant the other set. Doh! Homer Simpson moment for me... I never gave it much of a thought when I was working on mine because I've dabbled in electronics (was a technician at one point) for the last 40+ years and those connectors are pretty common. Another connector like the one on the ESC and a matching pin header and you could wire up an adapter cable to fit in between.

I did a google search and some guys are reporting they can use a servo tester for an ESC. But the details are pretty sketchy so someone probably tried it once, miracles of miracles a motor ran and everyone else carried on the urban legend? I don't know but it seems odd that there doesn't seem to be a quick, easy, cheap, way to test the ESC.

Didn't your 400D come with an RX? Even the second one I got had the RX and ESC in it. Just no TX because I use the 2801.

Mel
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,359 Posts
Quote:
Even the second one I got had the RX and ESC in it. Just no TX because I use the 2801.

Mel
Hi Mel,

I ordered the same specification like you from the same vendor ... 119 BNF - no TX but sure there was a RX

I thought for a while about getting the version MM sells with the 2801 - but then I thought that I already have about 5 (usesless) Walkera TX's, so I wanted to do myself (and planet Earth) some good a not getting a 6th one (... baaaad mistake I guess )

Anywho, I will figure this out ... sooner or later (but probly later ) and post my findings ....

Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:11 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mel,

I ordered the same specification like you from the same vendor ... 119 BNF - no TX but sure there was a RX

I thought for a while about getting the version MM sells with the 2801 - but then I thought that I already have about 5 (usesless) Walkera TX's, so I wanted to do myself (and planet Earth) some good a not getting a 6th one (... baaaad mistake I guess )

Anywho, I will figure this out ... sooner or later (but probly later ) and post my findings ....

Sven

I get it, you were going to use the RX out of another Walkera to test the ESC...ah ha! But you only got 5 TX's? ...I lost count of mine. Got a shelf full of those 2401's, bought the 2801 Pro and oh boy, do I like it.

I have a Spektrum 6xi (for my mSR) and the 2801 is just as nice as far as I'm concerned.

It would really be nice if most of the heli's could be ordered without a TX! Like you I sure don't need any more of them...

Still hope you get it all sorted out. I'm still trying to get my CB180D back in the air after it tried to take on the living drapes and ...lost...

Mel