HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:16 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
Congratulations to your new Lama 400 erdnuckel!
There is no exploded view included in the manual. Ive found one in the net.
I will post it when Im at my home computer (Im in office now).
The bearings and the holders look really terrible, the bearings are too small and the flybar is miles too long.
Thats why I bought me the Skytec stuff.
Speedster S1 is offline Find More Posts by Speedster S1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:48 AM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
First thoughts (2.22.10):
HUGE package ... but much lighter than it looks ... the BNF is a plain white box, no fancy pictures or anything in a bigger plain brown box ... suffered a little on its way from China, but looks like everything is ok.
It comes with the Walkera Lama400 manual (the one for the "green monster" ...) and the first thing I really miss while I go over all this stuff is an exploded view of the heli. Is that only me, or did neither of you guys get one (this would be a first big fat " - " (minus!!)
Looking over the actual heli, I know pretty quick that I will leave 'no stone unturned' with this one ... it will be taken completely apart to the last screw ... and reasssembled.
The following things I found disturbing up to now:
* the use of microplugs on the 3in1 ... why can it NOT have regular servoplugs like any other heli this size ??
* blade grips ... I only need 3 letters .. O.M.G!!! (blade grips were already a point that was leaning to the negative with my 5#10's, but here ....
* upper bearing housing, upper head and flybar hub are absolutely puny .... I am really used differently from my (practically cheaper) Esky helis (BigLama ...) In particularly the size of the flybar hub is frightening ....
I could go on, but let me leave it with this for now ... I should try to find where the really GOOD things about this bird are ... and I will keep on diggin, in the hope to find them ...

Happy flying (which will take me a few days before that will be true for my Lama400D)

Sven
It comes with a manual?...(as I head over to the box to actually look for one)...well son of a gun, it does have a manual. Wow. Been flying it for over a year and now I find the manual in the box....oh boy...

Microplugs? Maybe for the same reason you can't use any radio other than a Walkera to BNF with it? It's their game? I dunno.

Blade grips. I just put on 22+ hrs on the same set of blade grips on my 400D, apart from trying to get those lousy pins out, they work. Ain't pretty, but they work...

I had just over 19 hrs on my upper bearing when I swapped it out for the extended shaft bearing. Checked it over and it was still okay, the inner shaft didn't have much if any wear on it (I was lubing it like Mark suggested).

Having also purchased a second 400D (can you ever have enough 400D's?), I can safely say that although they are the same model, the second one was no where near as perfect out of the box as the first one was. Not even in the same ballpark actually. The first one still flies perfectly and it's my go to helicopter. The second one needed a LOT of adjustment just to get it to hover. I gained a lot of experience flying the first one and being a member of this group. It made repair and upgrades pretty easy and you guys are an extremely valuable information source.

Had I NOT been a member here and got the second 400D first, things might have been a LOT more interesting. I may have just shelved it beside my eSky junkers (a Big Lama and Lama V4) but I think I got really lucky with the first 400D.

But it doesn't speak well for "quality" control...

Hope you get yours all sorted out Sven and you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:18 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
The only thing I miss from Skytec are a planar gear wheel.
The originals are unbalanced, it nearly touches the chassis.
How did you all move your motor pinion?
Yesterday when I was flying indoors, one of my servo is gone
Did you have problems with the servos?

Timo
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:36 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster S1 View Post
Congratulations to your new Lama 400 erdnuckel!
There is no exploded view included in the manual. Ive found one in the net.
I will post it when Im at my home computer (Im in office now).
The bearings and the holders look really terrible, the bearings are too small and the flybar is miles too long.
Thats why I bought me the Skytec stuff.
Hi Timo,

looking forward to the link tho the exploded view (can't understand how a company can possibly NOT include that in a manual ...

re: Holders
that is something I started to realize yesterday when I took several closer looks to the (supposedly?) aluminum parts ... most of the aluminum parts on my frame look like VERY low quality

re: Flybar
yes!!! and yes and yes and yes .... the flybar most definitely is WAY tooo long!! (obviously that is why one of the first mods described here in the thread is to cut the flybar ...)

But I can assure you, there will be a lot of stuff that I am going to be doing to this bird over time (which unfortunately means it will end up cost me WAY more than an LM3 ... but hey - let them face off against each other once my 400D is "perfect" and (provided the piloting skills of the owners are equal) the 400D will beat the LM3 hands down ...

Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:46 AM
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitguy View Post
It comes with a manual?...(as I head over to the box to actually look for one)...well son of a gun, it does have a manual. Wow. Been flying it for over a year and now I find the manual in the box....oh boy...
Hi Mel,
well - what should I say, the manual really is sooo small, its easy to be overlooked ... and the amount of information in there is kinda even smaller

Microplugs? Maybe for the same reason you can't use any radio other than a Walkera to BNF with it? It's their game? I dunno.
The whole micro plug thing is a) annoying and b) really disturbing ... I will have to figure out a way to get a "serious" TX/RX combination in there ... #1 on the wishlist is without a doubt DX6i and spektrum receiver ...

Blade grips. I just put on 22+ hrs on the same set of blade grips on my 400D, apart from trying to get those lousy pins out, they work. Ain't pretty, but they work...
Well, it is encouraging to hear they actuall work - in terms of size they are barely larger than the ones for the 5#10 (a heli that is probly a third !! of the size of the 400D - and that kinda freaks me out (considering how much greater the forces are that develop in a heli the size of the 400D

I had just over 19 hrs on my upper bearing when I swapped it out for the extended shaft bearing. Checked it over and it was still okay, the inner shaft didn't have much if any wear on it (I was lubing it like Mark suggested).
I appreciate the hint with lubing. In the end, however, I am pretty sure I will end up with the Skytec replacement blocks for the bearings, as their bearings are significantly larger and I want to use the aluminum swash ... so to my knowledge I will need them anyway ...

Having also purchased a second 400D (can you ever have enough 400D's?), I can safely say that although they are the same model, the second one was no where near as perfect out of the box as the first one was. Not even in the same ballpark actually. The first one still flies perfectly and it's my go to helicopter. The second one needed a LOT of adjustment just to get it to hover. I gained a lot of experience flying the first one and being a member of this group. It made repair and upgrades pretty easy and you guys are an extremely valuable information source.
I didn't even fly mine yet - apartment too small and no TX batts on hand ... but today - if all works out well - I get the batteries and then I will see how a 400D hover in a 7x10 ft. space ... (at least once )

Had I NOT been a member here and got the second 400D first, things might have been a LOT more interesting. I may have just shelved it beside my eSky junkers (a Big Lama and Lama V4) but I think I got really lucky with the first 400D.

But it doesn't speak well for "quality" control...
You hit the nail on the head here - even though it is something, that seems to be a consistent problem with them ...

Hope you get yours all sorted out Sven and you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
Thanks Mel, I am sure I will!

Mel
Regards,
Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:39 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I didn't even fly mine yet - apartment too small and no TX batts on hand ... but today - if all works out well - I get the batteries and then I will see how a 400D hover in a 7x10 ft. space ... (at least once )Regards,
Sven
My only caution with using it in the house is that it creates a LOT of propwash. So much so that even in the living room 14 x 15 ft it gets quite challenging to keep it stable. The garage is 20 x 22 and I can fly around in there but it's still moving a lot of air that affects it but this is where I set up mine now.

Take it outside and it hovers hands free if there is no breeze. Thus, watch it in a confined space, it can be a handful.

Mel
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:29 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
Exploded views of Lama 400

Hi Sven,
here are the exploded views of the Lama 400.
They are from the scale model Lama 400. I have made a few detail views.
I hope this is ok.
Timo
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Hi Sven,
here are the exploded views of the Lama 400.
They are from the scale model Lama 400. I have made a few detail views.
I hope this is ok.
Timo
Well I don't know about any one else, but those exploded views are GREAT! Thanks for posting them!

Normally the only way I get to see those kinds of exploded views are after my first crash...

Mel
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:54 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
Hey Sven,

has you hovered your Lama in your room today?

Timo
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitguy View Post
Well I don't know about any one else, but those exploded views are GREAT! Thanks for posting them!

Normally the only way I get to see those kinds of exploded views are after my first crash...

Mel
... but then it is in 3D, right ???
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
Mel,
I think we all need them sooner or later
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
Hey Sven,

has you hovered your Lama in your room today?

Timo
Thanks for the exploded views Timo,

I have not hovered anything, as it is only 3 PM and I am still at work ... but I will leave soon and when I get home I will work on that (even have to buy new TX batteries)

I'll let you guys know what happend (and if I already NEED the exploded views )

Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:09 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
Ok, then good luck for your virgin Lama 400 flight!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
hi guys those exploded pics are great ;am sure they will come in handy soon . i still want to change my lower blade holder over ;but do i need to get the blade grips too .hope some one can help .cheers mike
blacksteel is offline Find More Posts by blacksteel
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:18 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
25 Posts
Hey Mike,
there are 2 different versions of the lower rotor head.
One, where you can use the original Walkera blade grips and one where you need also the blade grips from Skytec.