Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:34 PM
The Carbon Spyder
United States, WV, Hedgesville
Joined Jan 2011
83 Posts
Who just purchased some Spider Skids??? This guy! The name of my Heli after upgrading? Carbon Spyder... Lol... I'm a dead man when my wife gets her Paypal email!
chad1075 is offline Find More Posts by chad1075
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:21 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1075 View Post
Who just purchased some Spider Skids??? This guy! The name of my Heli after upgrading? Carbon Spyder... Lol... I'm a dead man when my wife gets her Paypal email!
Then I just hope you enjoy it while it lasts
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:50 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,503 Posts
Quote:
I saw they came up in the classifieds, and didn't know if you would get them or not? Good score - Congrats! I like the new name of your heli too!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:28 AM
The Carbon Spyder
Joined Jan 2011
83 Posts
Yea... It was like it was meant to be... I posted a wanted and a guy PM me and said he had them and was planning on putting them up... So I snatched them! Not sure of what the going price is for them but I paid $25 shipped. I believe they are a GENIUS piece of engineering... Way are these not still around? It just makes sense... We need to find the brilliant inventor and get him back in business!

My luck there is a reason they are not still being produced... We shall see!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:52 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,503 Posts
Chad, if you use the stiffner plate it appears you may have to load the battery from the front of the helicopter. That plate may be blocking the battery tray door. I not real sure on that, and you will be able to tell once you get the parts. It's no big deal if you have to load from the front, you just need to cut out the front of the battery tray.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:58 PM
The Carbon Spyder
Joined Jan 2011
83 Posts
Thanks! I actually did the front load battery mod by accident ... I accidentally did a nose dive into a tree... Took it right off! Ha ha!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:01 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I actually did the front load battery mod by accident ... I accidentally did a nose dive into a tree... Took it right off! Ha ha!
Well at least some good came out of it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:36 PM
The Carbon Spyder
Joined Jan 2011
83 Posts
Anybody ever use the Zip-Tie method of leveling the swashplate? Saw it on another thread while surfing ... seems like it would work?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:12 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Anybody ever use the Zip-Tie method of leveling the swashplate? Saw it on another thread while surfing ... seems like it would work?
I haven't, I normally eyeball the swashplate in all directions to get it as close to level as I can, then hover the helicopter. From there I will fine tune it if it tends to drift in any direction.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,503 Posts
ejector pins

I found this site for ejector pins that one can use for making inner shafts. It's actually cheaper to buy the 250mm length than it is for the 200mm. These will be nice because you can make them a little longer if you prefer. Guys with the Skytec rotor assembly would be able to increase the distance between upper and lower rotor blades by making a longer shaft, and using the Skytec extended outer shaft bearing holder. So what you would want is the 2.5mm X 250mm pins. ($3.78)

http://www.plastixs.com/ep07.html
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:59 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,717 Posts
Ejector pins are hardened,so, you'll need to use a Dremel or such to cut them to length/or to cut the head off. I bought 2MM hardened drill rod for use on the CX2/ Lama 4. It worked out well. I got mine from MSC.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Ejector pins are hardened,so, you'll need to use a Dremel or such to cut them to length/or to cut the head off. I bought 2MM hardened drill rod for use on the CX2/ Lama 4. It worked out well. I got mine from MSC.
Did you cut notches or flat spots on the shaft for the setscrews to seat against or just leave it round?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:10 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,717 Posts
I used a Dremel to make a notch. With a notch, it has no chance of sliding up or down.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:01 AM
The Carbon Spyder
Joined Jan 2011
83 Posts
Received the Spider Skids yesterday! Didnt have the plate but they matched up perfect on the heli. Initial thought is that I would need to do something pretty extreme to damage these things! They are a bit heavy but my initial hover went well and it actually seemed to even it out a bit. These things are awesome... we need someone that has Carbon Fiber capabilities to make a set out of that to lighten it up. Will post pics later. Thanks Sven for the suggestion!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:06 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Received the Spider Skids yesterday! Didnt have the plate but they matched up perfect on the heli. Initial thought is that I would need to do something pretty extreme to damage these things! They are a bit heavy but my initial hover went well and it actually seemed to even it out a bit. These things are awesome... we need someone that has Carbon Fiber capabilities to make a set out of that to lighten it up. Will post pics later. Thanks Sven for the suggestion!
Are the hinged struts aluminum or a cast iron? Yeah, a little more weight would tame the helicopter down more. I anxious to see a picture of your helicopter when it's all said and done. I suppose it will be a while before the carbon canopy arrives.