SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
I just wanted to update you guys on the progress of my stock 450, which I'm glad to say: problem solved!
It was not the 3 in 1 receiver board, which I already mentioned, and it was not the transmitter that I had thought it would have been. Come to find out it was the speed controller, and that just blows me away. I would have never thought that it would affect the rudder, and gyro as it did. Anyway I'm happy to be back in the air with this helicopter!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Blades

KJ, I was telling another guy about the blades you were using, because he didn't like the stock or Airy blades. Here's what he had to say about them:

Quote:
I bought and installed these blades tonight. They are soooooooooo much better than the stock ones or the Airy ones. The stock ones break like glass and the Airy's bend way too much. As quoted above, you have to grind them to be thinner, but with a dremel tool it takes 10 seconds. They are so much stronger than the stock blades for this heli. I love them. The hole is very large where the screw goes thru, but I ground just enough so that the it slides in just to the beginning of the hole. It flies great with these blades. I can't say enough about them. It flies better than with the stock blades, and I never liked the way this heli flies with the Aireys. Heres some pictures. This is a must have mod.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:05 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
I'm not so sure I would trust the thing he did where he slid it up to one side of the hole and tightened it down. The size of the hole is huge compared to the screw going through it. I used a washer that I had laying around(I think it was a washer for a 4-40 screw) and was lucky in that it fit perfectly. He has to have the blade root thin enough that it fits those lousy, skinny grips and can still pivot. You can't have it pivot if it's tight enough to do what he's doing. I have never had to change those blades since I installed them. That red edge that's attached to the blade helps stiffen it up. They're dirt cheap and worth a try. I slimmed mine down using a file so I had better control of just how thin I made it.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I'm not so sure I would trust the thing he did where he slid it up to one side of the hole and tightened it down. The size of the hole is huge compared to the screw going through it. I used a washer that I had laying around(I think it was a washer for a 4-40 screw) and was lucky in that it fit perfectly. He has to have the blade root thin enough that it fits those lousy, skinny grips and can still pivot. You can't have it pivot if it's tight enough to do what he's doing. I have never had to change those blades since I installed them. That red edge that's attached to the blade helps stiffen it up. They're dirt cheap and worth a try. I slimmed mine down using a file so I had better control of just how thin I made it.
Yeah I agree, there wouldn't be much in the way of pivot if he grinded just past the mounting screw. I am still using the stock blades, and haven't had any issues with them. I keep the blades pretty snug in the holders, but they do have some give if they come in contact with something while on the ground. I do know they break very easily though. When my supply gets lower, I am going to order a set or two of those blades and give them a try. I had a brushed motor go bad, and wander if that had something to do with the esc failing? I had a lightly used set of motors from my first 400 before turning it brushless, so I am back flying, but haven't got a chance to get it outdoors yet. Everything seems to be back to normal when flying it slowly around in the basement.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:40 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
I fixed a binding issue today that was causing some "tbe" now and again. I had checked the flybar, and flybar link, and both of those were moving freely. What I found was binding of the blade holder on the mounting pins going to the rotor head. I don't know if some thread lock would have gotten into the holes where the pin slides through, but the holder was definitely sticking. At first I thought maybe the pins had bent, but when they came out they were straight or otherwise they may not have came out. I cleaned the pin holes in the blade holders, and the holes in the rotor head, and install new mounting pins. Everything is now moving freely again.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Good troubleshooting and nice easy fix. Now, you'll be stuck in the basement for 7 months!!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Hi guys,
I have just a couple of questions for you on these Walkera big lamas.

Can anybody tell me the main shaft outer diameter on these walkera lama 400 series ?

2nd question
is a Walkera 53Q basically the same thing (lama 400 with a different name )?

Thanks for your time...
Boris13 is offline Find More Posts by Boris13
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:06 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris13 View Post
Hi guys,
I have just a couple of questions for you on these Walkera big lamas.

Can anybody tell me the main shaft outer diameter on these walkera lama 400 series ?
5mm

2nd question
is a Walkera 53Q basically the same thing (lama 400 with a different name )?
No, the 53 series is a little smaller, the rotor diameter is a few cm less (45 vs. 49 if I remember correctly), the motors are smaller too.(I am sure there are a few more differences, but bottom line: they are two distinctively different birds!

Thanks for your time...
hth
E2
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
OK, thanks v much E2.
Boris13 is offline Find More Posts by Boris13
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:27 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Bump.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Bump again! Time to charge the batteries after no use.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:08 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Bump again! Time to charge the batteries after no use.
No use? and why aren't you flying it on these nice mild days?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:46 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,878 Posts
Chris still has mine (well it's actually her's now.
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:38 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
You may need to get another one while you still can. I wander how much longer parts will be available for the 400 series?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:27 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
For all of the guys buying those cheapy big coax's, I wonder why they never looked at this one?