HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Are you concerned that the upper gear's set screws aren't into the outer shaft holes anymore? Now that you have real set screws that aren't soft, are you concerned about your mechanical "fuse" not being there anymore?
By changing the tooth count, you most certainly changed the head speed. By changing the pitch, or in Metric terms, Modal (I think that's what they call it), is the engagement between gear and pinion right? You'll have to look for wear on the tooth profile.
KJ, I did set the gear setscrews into the holes of the outer shaft, and then held the gear up against the lower bearing, and slid the aluminum collar down so it's resting on the upper bearing. I don't believe the collar is in the holes of the outer shaft, but I'm not concerned about that. The setscrews in the collar is holding well, so I don't believe the shaft will slip down. The way I understand it, the gears are designed with a different modulus, so that's why I needed to change the pinions from a mod 4 to a mod 5. The tooth count is different also, and I did fly 3 flights this morning outdoors with the helicopter. The pinion does match up very nicely with the gear, so I'm not concerned with that at all. I didn't really notice any difference in performance or headspeed this morning, but the gears did seem to give the helicopter a certain pitch sound. It flies very smooth, which I noticed yesterday when hovering in the basement. Yeah, if I crash I don't know if there will be any give as far as the setscrews go in the gear. I may end up stripping the gear, which was what happened the last time I crashed using stronger setscrews.

edit: the main thing is to shut off the throttle before it hits the ground, and that didn't seem to happen when it was buried in the snow
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Last edited by flyeraroo; Sep 02, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:23 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
batteries

What are you guys using for batteries in your lama 400's? I ask this because I'm having problems with the batteries puffing. It's not from draining them too low, because I monitor that closely, leaving around 20% left in the battery at the end of my flights. I have been using cheaper batteries, but am wondering if it's really worth it. After buying my first 400 in which I still have the original battery, but only using it for testing purposes has starting puffing. It's been cycled around 32 times, and the first 3 Turnigy batteries that I ordered have all been dicarded. One was just plain too weak to hold charge, and the other two were working fine, but had puffed so bad I could not get them in and out of the helicopter. They had only been cycled 45 times. I did buy 2 Eflite batteries here in the US costing more while waiting for the Turnigy's to arrive, just after receiving my first 400. One of the batteries I let go with one of the helicopters that I sold, and the other I am still using. It has been cycled 55 times, and looks as good as the day it arrived. I also tried a couple of Lightening Power batteries, which did not last long either. I recently went to Rhino batteries, and I have 2 that have been cycled 26 times, and both are puffing. I have 2 other Rhino's, which are pretty new, 1 that's been cycled 9 times, and starting to puff. The other has been cycled 7 times, and still looking normal. Like I said, all these batteries don't fall below 80% on charge when flying, so it must be the cheaper quality battery.
If it means paying a little more, and being able to use the battery longer, it may be worth the price. When the cheaper batteries start puffing after a few cycles, and don't fit into the helicopter, ones not saving a whole lot. I think I may start looking for batteries sold in the US even if I have to pay a little more, hopefully they will hold up like the Eflite battery has.
Last edited by flyeraroo; Sep 02, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:21 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,495 Posts
It seems like an awful coincidence that all these batteries are puffing. IMO, I would turn my attention to the charger and see what the heck it's putting out.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:48 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
I have a couple of pretty good chargers which are CellPros by FMA Direct. I have them set at 1C, and it will let me know what's left in the pack, what each cell is charging at, and what the fully charged pack, and each cell is at when finished. The charging will start out with a higher charging rate, and decrease as the pack becomes full. I used to use Thunder Power and Flight Power packs when I was flying cp helicopters, but they are just too expensive for me now. Then also it's trying to find the correct size that will fit into the battery compartment. I don't like to keep taking the canopy on and off, so that why I didn't do the front end mod. as some of the guys have done.
The packs are lightly warm at the end of my flights, but are no way hot or even very warm. I let them cool before charging, so I am chalking it up to lower quality. I suppose it's like anything else, you get what you pay for.

edit: it seems to me that the pack usually puffs when discharging, because I notice it after the flight
Last edited by flyeraroo; Sep 02, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,890 Posts
I'm using Turnigy 1600's and they've been great. They'd better not puff or they just plane won't fit anymore! They just barely fit as it is.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:33 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Maybe one will have to order smaller sized batteries, and allow for the puffing. I would think the battery manufacturers could come up with a way for the gases to be released so puffing would be eliminated.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:43 PM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
I've been using ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 25C for a while in all my 400's. I have two with over 200 charges and a few 20c ones at 100+ charges and they still work great. And cost less than $10.

I have a couple of chargers but use my Thunder AC6 the most. It isn't as effective for bigger batteries considering its 50 watt max, but since I have nothing bigger than 3s, and I can charge my 2200's at 2.2a.

Guess I'm saying that I haven't had problems with cheap batteries. Any batteries really.

Though I did leave one battery hooked up to led lights, and it now shows nothing on the battery voltage checker. May not try recharging that one, eh?

Ciao
Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Jun 2008
14 Posts
400d movement

well got the extended shaft in and went for a fly but it now seems to dance around in circles, kinda like it's hanging from a string with a pendulum effect? It just doesn't hover in one place. Could it be my fly bar adjustment is incorrectly adjusted? All help is as always greatly appreciated
kevo78 is offline Find More Posts by kevo78
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,890 Posts
If it swings like a pendulum, you are experiencing the pendulum effect! Make sure everything about the flybar is nice and free. I haven't experienced it in this heli. Which extended shaft did you go with?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:32 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo78 View Post
well got the extended shaft in and went for a fly but it now seems to dance around in circles, kinda like it's hanging from a string with a pendulum effect? It just doesn't hover in one place. Could it be my fly bar adjustment is incorrectly adjusted? All help is as always greatly appreciated
Are the plastic knobs on the molding of the flybar sitting horizontally in the rotor head? Everything needs to move freely - flybar in the head, and the links on the balls.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:26 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,890 Posts
Bump
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
no rudder control

The same thing is happening with my stock 450 that happened with my very first 400, which is now my brushless helicopter. I first noticed it a couple of evenings ago toward the end of a flight. This morning after a couple of minutes in flight it started losing the rudder control. As with my first 400, this one doesn't have many flights on it. I'm thinking the mixer is failing on the 3 in 1 board. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Update: It's not the 3 in 1 receiver board - still checking!
Last edited by flyeraroo; Oct 04, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:57 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
I replaced the 3 in 1 board, and the helicopter is still not responding, so I am going to try a different transmitter other than the WK-2402.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:22 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,890 Posts
I have a spare 2402 if you think it's the transmitter. You know how you easily accumulate Walkera transmitters! I just bought a Ladybird quad and the Devo series quads and heli's are a different protocol again!!! Of course, they aren't backward compatible. For all who bought the infamous 2801, it's history!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:48 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I have a spare 2402 if you think it's the transmitter. You know how you easily accumulate Walkera transmitters! I just bought a Ladybird quad and the Devo series quads and heli's are a different protocol again!!! Of course, they aren't backward compatible. For all who bought the infamous 2801, it's history!
Not entirely true KJ!!
Walkera sells something called magic cube that makes it possible to control Devo crafts with HM (older protocol) transmitters! (and considering what is going on with hacking the Devo protocol, I am confident they will find a way to give the magic cube the same "possibilities" you now have with the Devo 6,8 or 10)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread