HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
As Flyeraroo described, we're here to learn and give advice, if it can be given. I was just wondering about the change from adjusting links to adjusting the 4-in-1. I guess I've been lucky with this heli because it flew well as received. I've changed out the skids to Gorilla skids, recommended by Randy, and an extended inner shaft. The blades on mine now are from a 3-channel heli, but they work great. That's a pretty short list for such a big and heavy heli, but it's fine for what I'm doing and I don't want to mess with it. I'm even using the stock transmitter that came with it.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:06 AM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Right!!

This is a stick-up!!!

Hand over all you Lupens!

Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
43 Posts
I'm back!

To make a long story short! Some months ago while flying the 400 in my coconut tree bordered area flew into a trunk, couldn't believe it, repaired and flew again AND into another tree! Went to eye doc and found I had lost my depth/distance perception. Went thru a few months of treatment with no improvement. Looked like I would need surgery, came back to the States, more tests, treatments. Bottom line that I just got was bad eye is inoperable due to optic nerve damage from full scale heli crash some years ago.

Looks like I'm going to have to get rid of my fleet. What do you guys suggest Ebay, forum classifieds or? I would think I would like to sell to somebody on this thread as I have done most of the mods and updates discussed here and would be subject to fewer "how high is up" questions.

Have 2 complete 400Ds and 2 complete Lama V3s, 2801 tran and Esky tran plus many spare blades, parts, tools etc etc. Post or PM me!
WC
whiskeycharlie is offline Find More Posts by whiskeycharlie
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
That's terrible news, Charlie and I'd hate for somebody like you to leave. I'll pass this on to a guy on another thread who was thinking of a 400D. Maybe he'll be interested.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, CA, Volcano
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Daily Change in LAMA 400D trim.
Still in the beginner stage of flying and repairing and found after my last crash and repair Every Day, First Flight the trim is different.
Yesterday after 2 flights ended the trim was set to hands free hover.
The Walkera 2403 Transmitter is used to fly just the 400D.
Trim levels on the LCD appear the same as the day before.
Zero wind.
All links and servos are fixed tight with no movement.
Lift off this morning and rudder rotate left (counter clockwise). Reset trim.
And Aileron drift left. Reset trim.
The battery is seated firmly and leads come out the same side every flight.
Flown from same location and time every day.
Same basic temperature every day.
No other CG or weight change to the heli.
So I am puzzled as to what could cause the daily trim change.
Any suggestions what I should look for?
imaoldtimer is offline Find More Posts by imaoldtimer
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:47 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
That's something else! If nothing else, I thought maybe the battery might slide around a little ( forward and back), but not side to side. WOW!!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldtimer View Post
Daily Change in LAMA 400D trim.
Still in the beginner stage of flying and repairing and found after my last crash and repair Every Day, First Flight the trim is different.
Yesterday after 2 flights ended the trim was set to hands free hover.
The Walkera 2403 Transmitter is used to fly just the 400D.
Trim levels on the LCD appear the same as the day before.
Zero wind.
All links and servos are fixed tight with no movement.
Lift off this morning and rudder rotate left (counter clockwise). Reset trim.
And Aileron drift left. Reset trim.
The battery is seated firmly and leads come out the same side every flight.
Flown from same location and time every day.
Same basic temperature every day.
No other CG or weight change to the heli.
So I am puzzled as to what could cause the daily trim change.
Any suggestions what I should look for?
How are you binding the transmitter to the receiver? You need to power up the receiver first, and once that gets flashing, turn on the transmitter so they can bind. (do this everytime) If your turning the tx on first, it may explain why your helicopter controls are changing from time to time. The tx and rx may not be binding correctly, and you could lose some controls.
Next I would center all your trims (except throttle) to 50%. Now level the swashplate using the servo pushrods links, until the helicopter hovers hand free. Also check to make sure the gears are tight on the shafts (inner & outer) to prevent the helicopter from spinning. If your using an extended head on the inner shaft, check to make sure the head is secure on the shaft and not slipping. Once trimmed your helicopter should not change, unless something is slipping or a component is going bad.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:17 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
Oh yah, the ol' reverse binding I forgot to mention. It's the only heli I have that requires this.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, CA, Volcano
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
I learned about binding the transmitter and receiver from day 1. The 2401 manual that came with the heli and transmitter, said to turn on the transmitter first, then turn on the receiver. That is the age old safe method to turn them on. So I followed those instruction and turned on the transmitter and then the receiver. NOTHING worked. NO stick input worked. Then I started searching forums and went to Wow Hobbies and found out the reverse is true for the Lama 400D with the 2403 transmitter. The 2403 transmitter is what I had ordered and came with the 400D but the box had the 2401 manual in it. So I checked that the throttle was at low (idle) turned on (plugged the battery connectors together) the receiver, then the transmitter and all stick inputs worked and the heli flew.
My point in all of my chatter is that my 400D will not work AT ALL by turning on the 2403transmitter first, so that can not be my drift problem.
This is part of fyleraroos post on my problem that I will give a try in the next couple of days.
"Next I would center all your trims (except throttle) to 50%. Now level the swashplate using the servo pushrods links, until the helicopter hovers hand free. Also check to make sure the gears are tight on the shafts (inner & outer) to prevent the helicopter from spinning. If your using an extended head on the inner shaft, check to make sure the head is secure on the shaft and not slipping. Once trimmed your helicopter should not change, unless something is slipping or a component is going bad".
Thank you all for your comments on my problem. I really appreciate it!
imaoldtimer is offline Find More Posts by imaoldtimer
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
I guess it doesn't matter which receiver or transmitter you have, it just wants to be bound in reverse order. It is a typical thing for heli's to drift as the battery drains. I always have my fingers on the sticks, so, I guess I just don't notice this. If it drifts to the point where it's a problem making it unfliable, then I guess I'm stumped.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:36 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
One other thing I forgot to mention when trimming out your helicopter is to check the balance of both the upper and lower sets of blades. Every now and again I have had to add a little to one of the blades to get them balanced. Also check the upper rotor for proper blade tracking. You want that as close as possible for a smooth flight.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Hummingbird

I found this posted on another thread, and really like the way this thing flies.This is the best of both worlds, and would make for a great backyard flier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yfJWWzg5LeM

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=x+19
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
I thought that was the direction the guy was going in when he first started messing with the CX-2 back last Spring. Walkera had one that I never saw much about. Even Toys'R'Us had a version made by Airhogs that was about $60. They're out there and they have their forum (VTOL).
Old May 01, 2012, 04:39 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Anyone heard any news on what's next from Walkera for the 400 sized coaxial? Are they going to continue making the 400's? are they going flybarless? Seems like Walkera has been quiet for a while on new products, or have I been missing things?
Old May 01, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
I'm surprised they dropped the 5#10 and didn't replace it. The same goes for their palm size coax's. Maybe they saw those sizes and market going away. If they offered a blend of this heli and the Lama 3 features, I think they'd have something. I know I've said this before, but the hobby is slanted heavily toward quads right now. Look at how busy their forum is and how many sponsor banners above are for quads. With them, there is a lot of building instead of buying. Except for the MQX and the UFO5, almost all quads out there are brushless right off the bat. Then, it becomes a matter of controller boards and software.