HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2009, 05:31 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksteel
hi mel thanks for the help with the fly bar mod could you point me in the right direction on the forum .as to what you actually cut of the fly bar and how.i am only looking for the small and simple mods for this heli .generi think that is what happened to mine and that is what caused my crash and that led to the lower blade holder to crack. thanks mike
I just used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut off bits. I don't imagine my digital scale is all that accurate but I made sure both pieces were the same in the end (used a cheap balance scale). It took me a while to do it, probably because I'm slow...and whoever put those little rubber end caps on the weights took a lot of pride in making sure they don't come off..

Ultimately if I'm out flying in low to no wind, it doesn't really make much of a difference. It's when you get the gusts that it helps. At least that's what does it for me. if you're flying around and see those gusts hit the blades the 400 will rock back as the flybar tries to get things into a hover.

I seen a video on YouTube where a guy was flipping the cyclic all over and the thing came down like a rock. The video showed the flybar completely wrapped around the rotor shaft. I try to keep from "abrupt" movements (blade strike always tells me when I fail)...

I posted a video of my 400D with the extents at 5/8 and everything else stock. I did the video in the first few days of getting the feel for 400. It's not completely dead calm in the yard but not enough to worry about. The yard is about 40 feet deep, 80 feet across. I was flying between the side walk and the fence for a distance of about 70 feet. And yea, even if I'm CDN, I still think in feet and inches...sorry. On the couple of long runs that I did, I was actually up over the neighbours shrubs doing the turn (must not upset the neighbours)...I didn't pin the controls either, I was still getting the feel for the 400D.

Lama Flight

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:46 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2009
101 Posts
Directly from the cows mouth

Gents,

Asked Walkera for the outlook for any nice options fro the 400D

Suggested Carbon frame etc.

Here's their reply from this morning:

"We are glad to hear from you and really appreciate your precious proposals , actually we do not have plan on lama400D now but would make an investigation for its further need, such as brushless motor upgrade . if it is possible we would have a try for some of our dealers .but for carbon fiber frame or blades .I guess that would be very expensive cost , no need to say the additional mould fee . so the carbon fiber frame and blades are out of our plan"

By the way, I saw at another forum about the Big Lama that they switch to 400D blades and they are the best they have tested

Now, I will plan to get the 2801Pro, man I got scared when it lost contact over the trees by the lake not even 50 meters aways

Cheers

Lars
Gerner is offline Find More Posts by Gerner
Old Oct 20, 2009, 05:02 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,805 Posts
Nice vid Mel Always good to see someone getting enjoyment out of this hobby.

Gerner, as far as the carbon fiber frames go, It would be easy enough to get a 1mm thick CF sheet from the likes of HobbyKing and then trace the original sides out and cut them yourself. CF is very easy to work with, just make sure you wear a mask and do it out in the open, the fibres are nasty.

I am looking forward to hearing how Galexis and Rolex go with their brushless setups.

I put another couple of batteries through today and am definately noticing the extra weight on the 2200's being a bonus. I am going to be placing an order for some more as I will be needing them for my 450 as well. The 400D seems to be hogging all my resources.

I'm paying a visit to the local hobby shop tomorrow to get my material to do the extended shaft as I have found a nice set of longer control horns to try. I was struggling upwind this afternoon since I backed the extent back off.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:52 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2009
101 Posts
Has anyone tried the 1800mAh packs avail on ebay?

Had my first blad strike, upper blade cut halfway into lower blade

Can't get over the sounds as you power up, maaaaaaaan

2801Pro ordered

I can warmly recommend www.miracle-mart.com, excellent service and great sale coupons......!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:02 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,805 Posts
Hey Gerner, what "C" discharge rating are they? 10, 15, 20? I still like the Zippy Flightmax and Turnigy 20C packs, they can handle up to 30C burst so in a crash or just hard flying if the motors load up too much the batteries are well protected.

Cheers... Mark
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:24 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6
Hey Gerner, what "C" discharge rating are they? 10, 15, 20? I still like the Zippy Flightmax and Turnigy 20C packs, they can handle up to 30C burst so in a crash or just hard flying if the motors load up too much the batteries are well protected.

Cheers... Mark
Hi Mark,

25/30:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1800mah-3S-11-...item3ca69ffc02

I would like more capacity, without having to rebuild battery compartment.

But it seems there is air above the std pack when fitted, but no sure you could wrench in a thicker pack.

Cheers, Lars
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:47 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,805 Posts
Lars, they should be fine, they are only 20mm thick compared to the ones I'm running at 27mm thick. 25C will be heaps. You should get good flight times with them.

Cheers.. mark
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:54 AM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:

Cheers... Mark
I ordered one of the Zippy flight packs (2200), right now I'm using the Storm 1500 pack and the stock 1500 pack. I didn't modify the battery compartment so the Storm was one tight fit. Who ever soldered the connections on it got too much on the lead wires and bending them at right angles to exit the compartment was brutal. That zip tie that holds the speed controller on doesn't help either since it's into the battery compartment.

If I just do standard flying and don't hover too much, I get just over 11 minutes.

If I start to really push the 400D around, that goes down to 10. But at the end of the 10 minutes my brain is pretty much porridge anyway from thinking and controlling...

Mel
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:57 AM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerner
Has anyone tried the 1800mAh packs avail on ebay?

Had my first blad strike, upper blade cut halfway into lower blade

Can't get over the sounds as you power up, maaaaaaaan

2801Pro ordered

I can warmly recommend www.miracle-mart.com, excellent service and great sale coupons......!
Interesting all these companies that sell parts or helis. I've never had a bad experience with any of them, always get what I ordered. Shipping rates don't seem to vary all that much. Prices vary a little.

Some have rewards, discounts, coupons and such for loyal buyers. Some seem merely content to accept your money...

The biggest difference I find is the shipping/tracking to Canada from them. The champion is Miracle Mart. Without a doubt the fastest transit time with the best tracking system I've seen (I can track the package all the way to the house).

Helipal comes in second. Tracking isn't as good and transit time is slower.

The glacier of the bunch for me is Hobbyking. Tracking tells me it left HK. And then I wait...
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:20 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
hi mel thanks for your help again i may have a look at that in the future .i tried to watch the vid might need my son to help ; or upgrade my computer. thanks again .gener hope you can help a newbe out .sorry for my ignorance;but when you are talking about the wk.2801.pro do you mean the transmitter or receiver .if it.s the transmitter dose this mean that it will increase the range ;also the battery you have mentioned for the 400d will this charge from the original charger or do i need to buy a new charger .thanks mike
blacksteel is offline Find More Posts by blacksteel
Old Oct 21, 2009, 02:06 AM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
hi mel thanks for your help again i may have a look at that in the future .i tried to watch the vid might need my son to help ; or upgrade my computer. thanks again .gener hope you can help a newbe out .sorry for my ignorance;but when you are talking about the wk.2801.pro do you mean the transmitter or receiver .if it.s the transmitter dose this mean that it will increase the range ;also the battery you have mentioned for the 400d will this charge from the original charger or do i need to buy a new charger .thanks mike
It's certainly not a breath taking video, just me getting used to the 400D. The video if I am not mistaken uses Quicktime from Apple, least thats the codec I think I used (gave me the best quality at the least intrusive file size). I tried converting to to flash like YouTube uses and it was such poor quality that I didn't post that one.

The 2801 Pro Transmitter is the one rated for power output. And at some point Walkera has made two versions of the Pro. That's why the manual in the specs section lists the two power modes <10mw and <100Mw.

The reason I was told that Walkera made the <10mw pro in the first place was to comply with various parts of the world where they ship their radios and 10 mw is the limit for that region. In North America we are permitted to use 100mw so the signal is quite a bit stronger.

I don't know if the places we buy have any clue about this or not. I know when I ordered mine from Miracle Mart they sent me the 100mw version. So maybe I just got lucky.

The receiver for the 2801 Pro doesn't transmit (well it actually has the chip to do so but Walkera grounded out the pins on the chip that control the transmit function). Receivers are rated in sensitivity (among other things). And that sensitivity dictates how strong the TX signal must be for them to act on it (in simple terms). So there are two parts to range.

I know nothing about Walkera's receivers including the ones that match the 2801 Pro. When I was using my stock radio my 53Q3 was a couple hundred feet away and I still had control. Well, right up to the point when I got desperate trying to get it down out of the wind and pranged it on the roof of the neighbors car...

I am using the same G005 (stock charger) for my Storm 11.1V 1500ma battery. Works fine. But I do have a Turnigy Charger in the mail somewhere between mainland China and Canada so I'll eventually be using that. I also have a larger battery coming (2200ma) and it's in the same box with the charger... I don't know what the maximum current the stock charger would do, it might do the 2200ma batteries but my guess would be it would take a while to do it. A long while. Like 3-4 hours at least.

As for being a newby, we were ALL noobs at some point. We just tend to forget that once in a while... If I can help with anything, no problem at all. Keep in mind Mark is the 400D guru...we must bow towards Australia each day and give thanks...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:32 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,805 Posts
LOL, thanks mel, trust me you guys are having just as much input to this thread as me. I'm just determined to get as much as I can out of the 400D. I fly many helicopters but am yet to be a master of any, but I tell you what the 400D has taught me a lot about anticipating what input to apply. It is a relaxing way to practice nose in, tail in you name it without having to be worried about trashing it big time if I get it wrong. I believe it has actually made me a better flyer. And i find it more fun to break the occasional set of blades flying the 400 than sitting infront of the sim.

I agree with the 10 minute flight time as well. I find myself doing about 5 or 6 minutes and then landing for a few minutes then finishing the pack off.

I got the parts for trying an extended shaft setup. It will make for a fun experiment. Tomorrow I will try pressing the head pin out of my old original inner shaft first to make sure it's easy to do. if this works ok, I'll attack a new spare shaft.

Cheers.. Mark
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:39 AM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
LOL, thanks mel, trust me you guys are having just as much input to this thread as me. I'm just determined to get as much as I can out of the 400D. I fly many helicopters but am yet to be a master of any, but I tell you what the 400D has taught me a lot about anticipating what input to apply. It is a relaxing way to practice nose in, tail in you name it without having to be worried about trashing it big time if I get it wrong. I believe it has actually made me a better flyer. And i find it more fun to break the occasional set of blades flying the 400 than sitting infront of the sim.

Cheers.. Mark
I tried the sim route, must be me, it's easier to fly the real thing. On the other hand if I was doing 3D flying I think a sim would be the best way to learn the choreography with the sticks. When I got my first FP heli, I was flying 1D (sort of an up/down bouncy movement) but after what seemed like forever I could finally hover the stupid thing (a 4G1B). But now it's got some wicked vibration in the rotor head (checked the shaft and it's okay so I don't know whats going on with it).

The 400D is just so much more relaxing...and sturdy.

Which brings me to question...How does the CB180 compare to the 400D Mark? I've heard reports than if you can fly a coax, you can easily fly the CB180. Or is the CB180D? Is that true or just some PR game?

Mel
Performs morning ritual towards Australia...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 03:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
thanks mel that information is fantastic i really appreciate that i;m still looking for your vid.i think i will be getting the 1800mah from ebay .then all i need is my lower blade holder and i will be good to go .looking at the technical data i think i have the 10mw power mode the range seems to be a little less than the 100 mw i will be keeping the guru in mind thanks again mike
blacksteel is offline Find More Posts by blacksteel
Old Oct 21, 2009, 07:44 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
thanks mel that information is fantastic i really appreciate that i;m still looking for your vid.i think i will be getting the 1800mah from ebay .then all i need is my lower blade holder and i will be good to go .looking at the technical data i think i have the 10mw power mode the range seems to be a little less than the 100 mw i will be keeping the guru in mind thanks again mike
Good luck and I hope all goes well for you Mike! The 400D is too much fun to let sit...today mine sits because it's pouring rain outside.

Today I got my Turnigy Charger and I have figure out how to use it. You'd think they put a manual in the box with it. Oh well. Probably find one online someplace...

I think it might be a good idea to do a range check on your radio too, even 10mw should be good for a distance of more than a couple hundred feet.

Mel