HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:13 AM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6
All the doubters that think the 400 won't fly in the lightest of breezes and that it has no FFF. Fine think what you want. At under 200 bux with mild mods the 400 is a winner in my opinion. The motors are great, the electonics are smooth and reliable. No smoking 3 in 1's here. The separate brushed motor controller works fine and does a great job of isolating the RX from any nasty overcurrent. Sure, brushless would be great, but I believe for a lot of people that don't want to spend the money the standard brushed setup is ok.
Cheers... Mark
I'm 100% in agreement with you as well Mark! The 400D, to me, is the clear cut winner in the coaxial wars for price, performance, and durability.

Out of the box, and I must have gotten the only one that wasn't nose heavy, it will fly quite nicely. Just by changing the extent, it goes from the usual "hovercraft" to a little bit of a spirited heli. Do the flybar mod and it still hovers nicely, but has decent forward flight speed. Great for those figure 8's (try doing them backwards when you get bored with forwards) or do those power slides in the big ovals.

The 400D is never going to compete with a FP or CP model except maybe in the climb or the free fall rate areas. But then again it's not meant to. It's a stable, very predictable ship that when you gain experience flying will provide hours of enjoyment (and no doubt a laugh or two and a "doh" moment).

I own half a dozen different coaxial helicopters and a couple of FP birds. The ones that get the most air time are the 400D and the 5G6-1. The 400D is great backyard outdoor flyer and the more I fly it, the better I fly it and the more I enjoy it. For me it achieves the perfect balance between size, durability and performance for the backyard. The 5G6-1 is my indoor screamer (and it has plenty of forward speed), just wish the motors ran cooler and the battery lasted longer.

The 400D isn't perfect either, none of these coaxials are in my opinion. Throw it some fast directional changes and you'll get blade strikes. But at the same time, you quickly learn just how far you can push it before it "pushes" back...

I put an anemometer in the backyard and with light breezes up to 2.2 mph it can fly if you've done the mods, I tried it with a 5.4mph breeze and well, it hovered but if I dipped the nose the powered the crap out of it I could make headway and considerable altitude (it's going with the wind that makes things "lively")...Sure makes you a better pilot or repair tech in a hurry...
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghillie
A couple questions. Anyone here know of a US dealer that is handling the 400D yet? I made a comment about this a few months ago, and still I haven't found a US company carrying this great heli. Shipping from China is killing me.. ;-)
The 400D appears to only ship directly from China and I get the impression that their postal rates have went up, more or less like everywhere else. The 400D is a BIG, HEAVY package.

When my 400D came it was labeled as helicopter "parts" and the mailman thought it was parts for a real helicopter..

Shipping to Canada (were I am eh) didn't seem to be any less cost than having it shipped from a US dealer (I checked a similar sized copter because like you I couldn't find anyone who carried the 400D in North America).

The price variations of the 400D between all the dealers might save you a bit of a break on postage, but that's about the best you can hope for at this point.

Mel
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
hi wabbitguy. that is a very positive review of the 400d nice to know i haven't wasted my hard earned cash .thanks mike
blacksteel is offline Find More Posts by blacksteel
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:52 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksteel
hi wabbitguy. that is a very positive review of the 400d nice to know i haven't wasted my hard earned cash .thanks mike
Mike, if we want to talk about "wasted" money, we could talk about my other coaxials and the bucks I've spent "upgrading" them for little improvement...

I was pretty leery when I first saw the 400D (I had seen the 400 a few times on YouTube) and based on my experience with other coax's at the time I was sure they were heavily modded to get anything that didn't resemble a hover.

It was about that point I ran across Mark's early posting and review. I followed along for a few more of his posts and he didn't sound like a dealer and he didn't sound like he had any axes to grind. In fact, he sounded, well, kind of just like a regular guy who just enjoyed flying and tinkering (sorry Mark, you're only regular...;-)

So based on his posts alone I ordered the 400D. Well, thanks to Mark (thanks Mark!), I have one of the coolest looking, sweetest flying coaxials I could imagine. The first change I made was the extent. Brain dead easy but even so, I did it in small steps to find a point that I liked to fly at. Next was the flybar weights. For me, that was it. It's a hoot to fly around the yard.

if I managed to absolutely destroy my 400D, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. That's about the best endorsement I can give it so I feel you've made a good purchase Mike.

Mel
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
thanks mel.i to feel i have made a good purchase. i would like to know moor about about the fly bar weights .thanks mike
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:12 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitguy
if I managed to absolutely destroy my 400D, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. That's about the best endorsement I can give it so I feel you've made a good purchase Mike.

Mel
I couldn't agree more, if I trashed mine I'd also not hesitate in getting a replacement

Thanks for the kind words Mel.

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=7953

Haloween special, best price I have seen for the 400D yet.

Select no TX and thats another 10 dollars off.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksteel
thanks mel.i to feel i have made a good purchase. i would like to know moor about about the fly bar weights .thanks mike
I did the same as Mark and lowered the weight on each end by 1.5g. I didn't shorten the flybar itself I found just having a little less weight seemed to smooth out those hiccups when the breezes passed through.

Oh, and I did this to a spare flybar that I ordered so if I screwed it up I could put back the original.

My goal is simply good performance without interfering with the flyability. I.e. it has to hover very well and it still does that perfectly.

The only oddity I found in any changes or mods I did was when I started using the 2801 Pro. It felt like it took more stick movement to do the same thing the stock TX did. Might be just me or shorter/longer sticks but it feels different to me. Not bad different, just something to get used to.

Mel
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:10 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't agree more, if I trashed mine I'd also not hesitate in getting a replacement

Thanks for the kind words Mel.

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=7953

Haloween special, best price I have seen for the 400D yet.

Select no TX and thats another 10 dollars off.

Mark
Gee whiz (there, I dated myself), $10 off for omitting the TX? At that price I'd expect to find one as a prize in a cereal box..

Hope it's not like eBay where they sell you the item for $1 and then $280 for shipping...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:30 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
Yep, I was a bit disapointed that the reduction was not a bit more, but I have a drawer full of 2401's so where possible I buy the helicopter bind and fly these days.

I believe there is a way to set the TX to 2801 mode under the 400D model name, adjust the throttle curves and save and then change the mode back to 2401 and the 2801 will remember the curves you set. I am yet to try this.

Cheers.. Mark
Old Oct 19, 2009, 02:14 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2009
101 Posts
Almost lost it

Last night, it was dead calm and I had to dart around with the 400D

Man, send it off over some trees, suddenly it started to spin, being out of range of the 2401, but did not seem far away.

So, beware of the range, when it goes fast, it quickly goes out of range!!!

Anyone know the range of 2801Pro?

Cheers

Lars
Gerner is offline Find More Posts by Gerner
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:17 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
Hey Lars, I havn't got around to doing a decent range check on my 2801 yet. I'll post back here when I get some time to do it.

PS... I got mine just before the 2801 Pro came out, so mine is the 10mW 2801E. There is a good thread on the 2801 at the moment where a few of the guys are going to do some power and range tests and hopefully report back.

Mark
Last edited by KCV6; Oct 19, 2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:20 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerner
Last night, it was dead calm and I had to dart around with the 400D

Man, send it off over some trees, suddenly it started to spin, being out of range of the 2401, but did not seem far away.

So, beware of the range, when it goes fast, it quickly goes out of range!!!

Anyone know the range of 2801Pro?

Cheers

Lars
There's certainly some interesting threads about the Walkera 2801 TX. As I decipher it there are 4 TX models in total. The original 2801, the 2801E, two different models of the 2801 Pro.

Considerable discussions abound regarding any of these, with the original 2801 needing a firmware update to make it a 2801E and remove some of the control/binding problems, the 2801E's <10mw transmitter power and the two models of the 2801 Pro.

For the two models of the 2801 Pro, one is a 10mw version, the other is a 100mw version.

I've read the 2801 Pro manual until I am blue and although it mentions dual power rates (10mw and 100mw) there is no menu or setting in the software that I can find that allows you to change this. My guess would be that it's either controlled by the firmware OR Walkera soldered in some extra components to decrease the output. I don't know but I've read suggestions about both and the reason as to why there are two different power outputs.

So how do you know which 2801 Pro TX power you have? According to my information, it's based on the serial number in the battery compartment. If the serial number is 8xxxxxxx it's a 100mw TX. If the serial number is 6xxxxxxx then it's a 10mw TX.

I checked my own 2801 Pro and I have an 8xxxxxxx serial number so based on what I found it's a 100 mw TX. The only way to verify this would be to actually measure the power but I don't have that kind of test gear any more.

I haven't done a range check, I'm retired, my vision isn't what it used to be and my backyard isn't that big...

Mel
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:25 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I was a bit disapointed that the reduction was not a bit more, but I have a drawer full of 2401's so where possible I buy the helicopter bind and fly these days.

I believe there is a way to set the TX to 2801 mode under the 400D model name, adjust the throttle curves and save and then change the mode back to 2401 and the 2801 will remember the curves you set. I am yet to try this.

Cheers.. Mark
Yea, I'm starting to get a fair collection of 2401's myself. It is too bad more coaxials aren't sold without the TX but I guess we're probably not the target market who wants a RTF.

That's interesting you can make changes and adjust the curves in the 2801 and then switch back. I just might have to toy around with that. Thanks!

Mel
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:27 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
I received news that Extreme is working on a set of blades for the 400D. I got my foot in the door so if I find anything out, I'll let the group know!

Mel
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:17 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
hi mel thanks for the help with the fly bar mod could you point me in the right direction on the forum .as to what you actually cut of the fly bar and how.i am only looking for the small and simple mods for this heli .generi think that is what happened to mine and that is what caused my crash and that led to the lower blade holder to crack. thanks mike
Last edited by blacksteel; Oct 19, 2009 at 03:27 PM.