HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:55 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlydude View Post
I had read where one should not drain the pack below 9.2V on a 11.1V battery, and at the end of my 8 minute flight I am at 11.28V. So I think I could stretch to 9 or 10 minute flights, also without a problem.

I also noticed the stock motors getting pretty warm after a couple of flights. Does anyone have an estimate of how many flights one can expect out of the stock brushed motors? I would imagine you guys running brushless will do alot better in that department.
I had 21 hrs on my brushed motors when they packed it in. The brushed motors in the 400D are actually quite good but they do run hot, especially if you run multiple packs through them. I always waited about 20 minutes between flights for them to cool. This is the 400D that I have converted to brushless. This made it slightly harder to fly because the brushless motors are far more powerful and responsive than brushed ones are. Just something to get used to.

I have a second set of brushed in my other 400D, but only 4 hrs on them so far.

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:07 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitguy View Post
I had 21 hrs on my brushed motors when they packed it in. The brushed motors in the 400D are actually quite good but they do run hot, especially if you run multiple packs through them. I always waited about 20 minutes between flights for them to cool. This is the 400D that I have converted to brushless. This made it slightly harder to fly because the brushless motors are far more powerful and responsive than brushed ones are. Just something to get used to.

I have a second set of brushed in my other 400D, but only 4 hrs on them so far.

Mel
Ok Mel,
So if I do 10 minute flights, and 6 flights equal 1 hour, than with 21 hours on the motors I should roughly expect 126 flights. I will have to start keeping track of my flights, so I can document some of the details. Thanks!

Randy

Skeeter, I believe I would order your blades and links from the US, like Jag hobbies, and receive them in 3-5 days, rather than waiting that long. You could always put your order in for spare parts with MM, and have them coming later, but maybe you have other helis you can be flying in the meanwhile. I just hate waiting on parts, so I may pay a bit more, but I do have them here quick.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:15 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Ok Mel,
So if I do 10 minute flights, and 6 flights equal 1 hour, than with 21 hours on the motors I should roughly expect 126 flights. I will have to start keeping track of my flights, so I can document some of the details. Thanks!

Randy
I kept a flight log of my first 400D, that's the only reason I know. Took me almost a year and half to log that much flight time too..

Nothing I have bought since has flown as nice as that first 400D ever did either. Including the second 400D I bought as a spare. Methinks quality control might be a bit of a crap shoot at the Walkera factory...

Oh yea I should mention that I was using lube on the motor ends and wiping off any excess before each flight day (not each flight). Got the idea from Mark. Just a wee drop of dino juice on the motor end bearings with a tooth pick...

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:17 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitguy View Post
I kept a flight log of my first 400D, that's the only reason I know. Took me almost a year and half to log that much flight time too..

Nothing I have bought since has flown as nice as that first 400D ever did either. Including the second 400D I bought as a spare. Methinks quality control might be a bit of a crap shoot at the Walkera factory...

Oh yea I should mention that I was using lube on the motor ends and wiping off any excess before each flight day (not each flight). Got the idea from Mark. Just a wee drop of dino juice on the motor end bearings with a tooth pick...

Mel
It's not a bad idea to keep a log of flights, equipment and details, so one can look back on for help or ideas. I found out if I don't jot things down I tend to forget them. (must be age) I keep pretty good track of my lipo packs, and how many times cycled, so I can compared different brands and how they hold up. So by doing this I have a good idea of the time on my motors also.

I know what you mean about the different characteristics in helis. I have 2 blade cx's that I put together from scratch with the exact same equipment on, but they both fly a little differently. I don't know if any bird flies exactly the same as another. It seems they each have their own characteristics, so I suppose that could be do to the material used, and the workmanship of the equipment. I know my 400D sure does handle nice, and I just wish the weather would cooperate more so I could be out flying it! I guess that's what I have the cx's for, so I can keep flying even in bad weather.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:54 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Anyone tried using a separate gyro along with a esc and mixer on the 400D, or a coaxial? I'm not sure how one would set it up, and I'm not sure if it can be done, but anyone have some input.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 05:00 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Man, the wind has been blowing morning to night for over a week now. I am really getting the itch to fly the 400. Maybe one should take up flying gliders! only because I'm a little old for kites!
Last edited by flyeraroo; Sep 02, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,863 Posts
If they had them, Miracle Mart shows the 400D, without a transmitter, for $105!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 03, 2010, 03:07 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
If they had them, Miracle Mart shows the 400D, without a transmitter, for $105!!!!!!
That's a pretty good price considering the tx sells for around $30.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:02 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,863 Posts
Quote:
That's a pretty good price considering the tx sells for around $30.
I thought the going rate for the 400D was $179? Less the transmitter, that's still $149 instead of Miracle Mart's $105. It sure would be nice for "every a week a new model" Walkera to introduce a brushless version of this heli, wouldn't it?
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:45 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,193 Posts
miracle-mart had the 105$ Lama400D now for many weeks - if not several months already ... it's just that most people here in the forums really only care about the one heli the currently fly and pay very little attention to what is going on with the rest of the heli - or in our case CoAx - market ...

The other point about it is the increased shipping costs from China lately ... maybe the bird is only 105$, but with S&H it is considerably more ...

... AND it is out-of-stock - like a more frequent times at MM lately ...

Also, it would be nice of Walkera to make a BL model of this heli, but not for them, as it would reduce "after-purchase" business quite a bit.
However, if there is any functioning BL upgrade for the Esky Big Lama (and there are pages over pages of stuff documenting how that works) it is (in the meantime) possible just to swap it from there to the 400.

Plus, if you (would) read the Lama400(D) thread, there are several write-ups about Lama400 brushless conversions in there ...

... and as always: just my 2Cents

erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Also, it would be nice of Walkera to make a BL model of this heli, but not for them, as it would reduce "after-purchase" business quite a bit.
However, if there is any functioning BL upgrade for the Esky Big Lama (and there are pages over pages of stuff documenting how that works) it is (in the meantime) possible just to swap it from there to the 400.

Plus, if you (would) read the Lama400(D) thread, there are several write-ups about Lama400 brushless conversions in there ...
I don't think any of the manufacturers are cutting into their market by offering brushless heli's. Unless they have opened a business with a completely different name, they aren't the ones selling the retro packages. If they could save their customers a lot of grief by offering their heli's right out of the box as brushless, it would save those customers a LOT of pain with conversions that just don't work. Sorry, but I'm not putting down upwards of $500 for a Lama 3, but I might go $250 for a brushless 400D. The only reason I'm interested in this heli at all is from testimony here. If you go by the demo videos that Walkera put out when they introduced this heli, it looks like a flying brick. Their videos, as a rule, are pathetic.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:05 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Is there any vendor selling an extended or longer inner shaft for the 400 besides the xtreme extended head? If so, anyone have a link to the site?
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:44 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,193 Posts
Quote:
Is there any vendor selling an extended or longer inner shaft for the 400 besides the xtreme extended head? If so, anyone have a link to the site?
Hi Randy,

NO vendor that I know of ... at least not in the original 2.5mm diameter (this is the biggest problem about the Lama400 inner shafts, that they are [i[TOO thin[/i]!!)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:02 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
After a few tests and some fine tuning, I would have to say the 3DPro/Airy (they appear to be the same) BOL upper head on a 20mm, 3mm to 2mm shaft extender adapter is now probably my preferred setup. I need to wait for daylight so I can give it a decent test.

Blade separation is 108mm which will definately eliminate any chance of blade strike in flight.

when I get a chance I'll post some side by side pics to clearly show just how "beefier" this setup is compared to the stock Walkera blade holders.
Is the shaft extender adapter a homemade fabricated item? Just wondering if something like this can be done with the xtreme extended head, and the adapter? Or just using the stock head and the adapter?

Randy
Last edited by flyeraroo; Sep 08, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:31 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,863 Posts
Randy, It's home made.6061-T6 turned on the outside as shown with 2.5mm holes turned in from each end if used with the standard head or 2.5mm one end and 3.0mm the other (for the BOL head). Then cross drilled to M2.5 for M2.5 grub screws. I have done it with the extreme, standard and BOL head. The main reason I like the BOL head is it doesn't wear out and the flybar plastic part is a lot beefier. You don't want to go to long on the extension as it will get too top heavy past the pivot point (where the bearing is) and the top head will vibrate at higher RPM when loaded up.

I use my dremel to put small groves in the saft for the grub screws to locate and lock into.

Cheers... Mark
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6