SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:27 AM
Guitar Player
Auburn, California
Joined Mar 2010
711 Posts
I dont think that the rear rotor could spin fast enough to have an impact on the coaxial head and the gyro. Mine spins too, but has not real motor attached anymore (result of crash). But I have also flown without the rotor on at all and it still behaves ok. I asked about the gyro since it if is loose it could be getting squirely signals based on it moving as you turn. Mine seems to have a propensity to lean and is a little loose in that direction. I have tie wrapped mine in place and it seems to be ok.
Russbrigham is offline Find More Posts by Russbrigham
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:38 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbrigham View Post
I dont think that the rear rotor could spin fast enough to have an impact on the coaxial head and the gyro. Mine spins too, but has not real motor attached anymore (result of crash). But I have also flown without the rotor on at all and it still behaves ok. I asked about the gyro since it if is loose it could be getting squirely signals based on it moving as you turn. Mine seems to have a propensity to lean and is a little loose in that direction. I have tie wrapped mine in place and it seems to be ok.
Hi Russ,
Last night I took the canopy off, and the zip tie holding the 3 in 1 did seem a little loose. I tighten that, and messed around with the wires going to it, to make sure they were plugged in good. I flew a couple of flights this morning and it seemed to be back to normal. So I hope that fixed the problem, but it didn't do it all the time, so I'm still a little leery. Thanks!

Randy
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:23 PM
Guitar Player
Auburn, California
Joined Mar 2010
711 Posts
I really love this heli! For all the talk about weight and mass and damage through a crash, lack of wind ability etc,,,, it is still a blast to fly! Very relaxing. I have a few other FP helis that keep you on your toes. This is for sure my go to relax bird! Hope it works out well for you!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:37 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Deleted - I figured it out
Last edited by flyeraroo; Aug 24, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:49 PM
Guitar Player
Auburn, California
Joined Mar 2010
711 Posts
So what was the end result?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:21 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbrigham View Post
So what was the end result?
I was tring to cofigure something to work using a spektrum rx, and an eflite control unit, like the EFLH1031 for the blade cp's. I then realized it's too light duty, and the esc I don't think would handle both 380 motors on the 400. The 3 in 1 is for (1) 370 motor and a small tail motor. I was also considering going with the heavy duty 2 in 1 esc/mixer, but than I wouldn't have the gyro, so when I posted my fingers were typing faster than the brain was working.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:17 PM
Guitar Player
Auburn, California
Joined Mar 2010
711 Posts
Well got to tell you that I am impressed with you guys that are all over the electronics on these birds! I am just getting a handle on the mechanics lol. Glad to hear you have your solution. Love this heli!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:38 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
What kind of flight times are you guys getting on your lipo packs? I am using 1500mAh and 1600mAh batteries, and flying for 8 minutes. I could push for more, but I like leaving around 20% in the pack.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:48 AM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlydude View Post
What kind of flight times are you guys getting on your lipo packs? I am using 1500mAh and 1600mAh batteries, and flying for 8 minutes. I could push for more, but I like leaving around 20% in the pack.
I have the Extreme Navigation LED's from MM installed in my 400D's, it has a battery monitor that you can set the low voltage alarm on (buzzer and the LED's stop flashing). So I was flying my 400D with the 1500maH packs for about 9-10 minutes, or less depending on how much hovering you do (that takes the most juice)...

MM Battery Alarm

The 2200mah packs that I fly now give me 15-17 minutes again, depending on hover time.

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:47 AM
NC, USA
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Hello all just want to say that my 400d is finally locked in and is flying AWESOME !!!! Knock on wood at least for the moment it seems to be great. I have the 17.5mm shaft from helipal installed and have NOT had a blade strike. Although the 15mm shaft from MM is cheaper. The tail wag/tick has stopped. Not sure what I did. Anyway Happy Flying All !!!

Skeeter
Drums3way is offline Find More Posts by Drums3way
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:49 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
I had read where one should not drain the pack below 9.2V on a 11.1V battery, and at the end of my 8 minute flight I am at 11.28V. So I think I could stretch to 9 or 10 minute flights, also without a problem.

I also noticed the stock motors getting pretty warm after a couple of flights. Does anyone have an estimate of how many flights one can expect out of the stock brushed motors? I would imagine you guys running brushless will do alot better in that department.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:53 AM
NC, USA
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlydude View Post
If you have stock motors stick with a 8-10min flight. Install heat sinks. If you have done the brushless upgrade from RTF then definitely go with the bigger batts. Stock motors tend to burn up quicker the longer the flights.

Skeeter

PS Do the battery tray mod it helps with the CG.
Last edited by Drums3way; Aug 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:02 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
I would imagine they get too warm on longer flights, and that's why they don't last. Heat has a way of bring all electronics to a quicker end. Yea, I plan on staying with the 1500-1600mAh packs, so my flying time will stay around the 8-10 minute range.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:13 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums3way View Post
If you have stock motors stick with a 8-10min flight. Install heat sinks. If you have done the brushless upgrade from RTF then definitely go with the bigger batts. Stock motors tend to burn up quicker the longer the flights.

Skeeter

PS Do the battery tray mod it helps with the CG.

My ff seems to be alright without the mod, so I think I will hold off on that. I did take the battery tray door off and flipped it over, so I can install longer packs, but the CG seems to be good, and it flies into a light breeze pretty well, so I'm happy with the performance.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:08 PM
NC, USA
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Boy I tell you once you get the 400d sideways to far that flybar WILL NOT let the bird come back up!!! Yep i found out the hard way. LOL only 2 blades and 1 linkage arm broke. Thats awesome!!! LOL And the 1 thing I don't have a spare of!!! LOL O'well, MM gave me a $14 Gift Certificate so I guess Im out of commission for 6-7 days. More like 10-14 they are slow there at MM. 5#10 here I come!!!

Skeeter