HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:08 PM
NC, USA
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
Having wag would probably indicate another problem as the gyro is trying to work. I would check the bearings on the outer shaft and the motors. If the motors are on their way out or the bearings are binding, this will cause wag as well. That all said, it could be an RX issue.

Mark
Hey Mark,
There is a guy on the LM3 thread, olivermc, he says NOT to put the extended shafts on be cause the further the blades are apart, the more it disrupts airflow and makes the heli, any heli, unstable.

Q; Do you think there is anything to this?

I have on the one from MM and my 400d is flying a little weird. But i do have stock blades on the top and airy harden on the bottom. LOL

Anyway, what do you think??

Skeeter

PS still have that tail tick/wag
Drums3way is offline Find More Posts by Drums3way
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:44 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Aug 2009
179 Posts
Hi Skeeter,

Just thought I would let you know that Mark is currently interstate for work and won't be back until next Tuesday.

Chrissy
Chrissy47 is offline Find More Posts by Chrissy47
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:32 PM
NC, USA
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy47 View Post
Hi Skeeter,

Just thought I would let you know that Mark is currently interstate for work and won't be back until next Tuesday.

Chrissy
Thanks

Skeeter
Drums3way is offline Find More Posts by Drums3way
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:01 PM
Joined Jun 2009
397 Posts
Awesome Job, LOOk SwEET
skyhulk is offline Find More Posts by skyhulk
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:04 PM
Joined Jun 2009
397 Posts
Awesome

AWESome JOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by demongloom View Post
My brushless 400d is done!!! I've found correct state of sens/ext and tuned servo links to get good, pretty good stable hover. On my wk-2402 settings are - throttle - 0%, rudder 42% and aile/elev on 50%. Have no tail wag. Hover tested in room, but on weekend I'll do full test in the park near my house.

About replacement parts I've found good cheap site which sell stock parts for 400d, it is from china. Shipping become in Israel during two weeks, from honk kong usually took 1 week, but prices mostly about on 20-30% lower than on ebay, helipal or miraclemart. My brushless kit I got from this site and also ordered some other replacement parts. It is not advert it is only my opinion and recommendation. http://www.wellqin.com/Rc-Hobby-walk...rts_c25?page=1

Ah, forgot to ask. Do I need put some heatsinks on motors? My weather it quite hot, 30-35 celsius
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
397 Posts
I got the same brushless kit
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:25 PM
Guitar Player
Auburn, California
Joined Mar 2010
711 Posts
Would this battery work with the standard battery holder?

http://www.xheli.com/77p-2200mah-3s1p-111-30c.html
Russbrigham is offline Find More Posts by Russbrigham
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:46 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbrigham View Post
Would this battery work with the standard battery holder?

http://www.xheli.com/77p-2200mah-3s1p-111-30c.html
To use the battery you need to modify the 400D to permit a front load battery. There's no way to fit that battery in the same way you insert the stock battery.

This is the battery I use and it's the same size as the one you linked to and my 400D is a front battery loader.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306

I have four of them and I get roughly an hour of flight time by the time I've used them all up.

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:05 PM
Guitar Player
Auburn, California
Joined Mar 2010
711 Posts
Thanks Mel. Trying not to modify, just want another cheap battery. Last time I tried I ended up with 2 Turnigy's that did not work (one showed only 2 cells active after test and the other showed nothing at all). Don't want to do the China thing again on batteries since they cost more to send back than the order lol. But also dont want to spend $40 delivered on a single unit. Finally have my 400 back up and cooking after a dramatic crash. Only issue now is a cracked frame that I have CA'd back to basic working order. Thanks again. If anyone knows of a good and relatively inexpensive US based supplier for a spare battery I would be forever greatful lol! Take care guys!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:44 PM
Canada's Wet Coast
Joined Jul 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mel. Trying not to modify, just want another cheap battery. Last time I tried I ended up with 2 Turnigy's that did not work (one showed only 2 cells active after test and the other showed nothing at all). Don't want to do the China thing again on batteries since they cost more to send back than the order lol. But also dont want to spend $40 delivered on a single unit. Finally have my 400 back up and cooking after a dramatic crash. Only issue now is a cracked frame that I have CA'd back to basic working order. Thanks again. If anyone knows of a good and relatively inexpensive US based supplier for a spare battery I would be forever greatful lol! Take care guys!
I fully understand about the batteries not being worth it to ship back. I only had one bad battery and that was for a TX. Worked fine for about 4 months and then one cell wouldn't charge any more.

So I went to the local hobby shop to buy a new TX battery. I paid triple for it and ended up with another battery from China. As it turned out another Flightmax because that's where they buy theirs...LOL...on the good side, it's still going...

I usually wait til they have them on sale and then buy several. Safety in numbers...

Mel
wabbitguy is offline Find More Posts by wabbitguy
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:44 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,839 Posts
Skeeter,

Oliver does have a point. increasing the blade separation by too much can cause some issues. However the 15mm extension is not enough to cause a problem. I run up to 30mm extension with no ill effects. It is possible one of your motors is not up to par causing tail lock issues. I've had a few brushless motors in the past that seem to have dead spots in their rev range. This can usually be fixed by changing the timing in the speed controller however I'm not familiar with how to or if infact the ones you got with your kit support timing modes. The plush ones I have can be card programmed for low, normal and high timing.

Anyway back to the Chinook world, will be back again later next week.
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
I need some opinions from you experts out here. The first time I flew the 400 I noticed one time when applying, I guess you could say sharp left rudder the heli wanted to come right around. (almost into a spin) I just contributed it to wind current, and left it at that. I have flown it a few more times, and it still seemed a little tail loose sometimes when I applied left rudder. Well, this morning I flew 6 packs through it, and it was doing the same thing. The tail did not want to hold coming out of a sharp left turn. It went into a complete one full revolution a couple of times, and other times it went around part way, and then tail wagged back and forth until I back off the throttle. I thought the wind current was causing this at first, and I did notice the tail rotor spinning pretty good. I then thought the tail rotor was catching the wind, and pushing the tail around on me. I removed the tail rotor blade, and tried it again, but it still wanted to come around on left rudder turns. I tried right rudder, and everything was good. The tail held everytime when applying right rudder. I adjusted the sensitivity for the gyro in hopes that is would hold better, but it didn't seem to help. I didn't adjust it too much, but I may try going further with the gyro adjustment. Now the thing is that it doesn't do this all the time, but it does seem to be more than before. It kind of scares the crap out of you when your not expecting it. It's obvious that the gyro is not holding on left rudder turns all the time, and I don't think it would be a weak motor, because there is no yawing whatsoever. It hovers well, flies nice in ff, but it's just when making a sharp left turn that it will do this. I can make a gradual left turn, and it doesn't seem to bother. So I am wondering could it be the mixer? gyro?, esc? I am just a little puzzled why the gyro is not holding coming out of a sharp left rudder turn. Any and all suggestions are welcomed!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:29 AM
Guitar Player
Auburn, California
Joined Mar 2010
711 Posts
Whirlydude the tail rotor on the 400 is just for looks. The turning is accomplished through the coaxial head. Is the gyro well connected to the frame? I bet it has something to do with your blade holders or a loose gear. Others on the forum are far more knowlegable than I though. Typically when I have wind issues the bird will either lose the ability to fly forward or will catch the wind like a kite and start going vertical on me. Not sure if this helps or not.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:58 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Whirlydude the tail rotor on the 400 is just for looks. The turning is accomplished through the coaxial head. Is the gyro well connected to the frame? I bet it has something to do with your blade holders or a loose gear. Others on the forum are far more knowlegable than I though. Typically when I have wind issues the bird will either lose the ability to fly forward or will catch the wind like a kite and start going vertical on me. Not sure if this helps or not.
Hi Russ,
Yes, I realize the rear rotor is for looks, and I have the motor wire disconnected up front to prevent it from spinning. I think if the wind catches it and spins it opposite of the motor it would burn the motor out. Looking at the blade pitch of the rear rotor, and the way the rotor was spinning when the wind current caught it, made me think that is was spinning fast enough to push the tail around like a regular heli. I do think the 400 looks cool with it on, but the blades on the rear rotor should not be pitch to catch the wind. This is just my theory anyway, but ya, I'm pretty sure everything on my 400 is tight, and if it is the gyro why isn't it acting up all the time?, and why only on left rudder? That's what puzzles me, I would think it would act up on right rudder also, but I need to get this resolved, that's for sure.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:39 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Hey I know, I should have one of them head locking gyro units that's in the blade cx3! ha, yea right!