HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:38 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Why is that? Was there a potentially bug that the updated fixed, or do you think the software was originally installed incorrectly, or something along those lines?

I didn't have any malfunction like that (or any at all) before or after the update, so what makes you think the update will resolve his problem?

I think it's safe to say this was a fairly isolated incident, but I'd like to know the cause of it. One of the main reasons I choose Futaba is for peace of mind concerning the reliably of their radios.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Jul 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:50 AM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
Anybody here have an 8FG (or know somebody that does) in the Orange County CA area? I have not found a LHS that carries them, and need to see if the Tx feels comfortable in my (largish) hands before considering ordering one.
FWIW, I'm not in CA but I wear XL / XXL gloves and really like the 8FG feel - better than my 7C. I'm a stick pincher & use a full Tx tray.

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:51 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Update

Thought I would update everyone on the status of my problem. I called Futaba and explained the problem. First some background then I will state what I was told that I agree with 100%.

Radio purchased Nov 30. It has wiped settings on single models only like 5 or 6 times not the whole radio. It is very isolated and I can send the radio in but if it does not fail for them, they will just send it back to me and I will be out of alot of flying.

I am a tech for a POS company and I myself have delt with isolated problems. If I can't duplicate it, my time is wasted trying to fix something I can't cause to fail. This is where I agree with Futaba.

So in short I will be wasting time sending it in as its so isolated. I need it to fail all the time. I have tried to wipe in on selecting a wrong choice and backing out but this still didn't work.

I took Wrend's advice and copied all my models to the SD card and also my PC. So if I do loose settings I can just retransfer it over. Its very easy to tell if my setting go on vacation cause my timer is reset to 10 minutes.

I will keep everyone up to date as I know every owner on here is curious to see what happens after my firmware update.

I will post back in a couple weeks of using it if I get some flying in. I usually log in 10 to 20 flights on a good weekend switching between up to 14 models.
Lithonion is online now Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:17 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion View Post
Thought I would update everyone on the status of my problem. I called Futaba and explained the problem. First some background then I will state what I was told that I agree with 100%.

Radio purchased Nov 30. It has wiped settings on single models only like 5 or 6 times not the whole radio. It is very isolated and I can send the radio in but if it does not fail for them, they will just send it back to me and I will be out of alot of flying.

I am a tech for a POS company and I myself have delt with isolated problems. If I can't duplicate it, my time is wasted trying to fix something I can't cause to fail. This is where I agree with Futaba.

So in short I will be wasting time sending it in as its so isolated. I need it to fail all the time. I have tried to wipe in on selecting a wrong choice and backing out but this still didn't work.

I took Wrend's advice and copied all my models to the SD card and also my PC. So if I do loose settings I can just retransfer it over. Its very easy to tell if my setting go on vacation cause my timer is reset to 10 minutes.

I will keep everyone up to date as I know every owner on here is curious to see what happens after my firmware update.

I will post back in a couple weeks of using it if I get some flying in. I usually log in 10 to 20 flights on a good weekend switching between up to 14 models.
If I were you I would probably send it in to Futaba. Futaba will give it a good inspection and run diagnostics on it. At least you would have confidence that there’s not a problem that could cause you to crash someday.

I have only had limited experience with Futaba but they have always fixed my problem and get it back to me very quickly.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:40 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,476 Posts
Lithonion,
As long as you are sure that you only experience the problem during changing of model and does not happen while you are flying the model, I will agree with how you handle this.

I also understand how difficult it is to fix a problem which is not easily replicated. Maybe what you can do is to make note of the steps, conditions, etc... which may have caused the problem to show up. Once you can have it replicated at anytime whenever you want it, then you can send your Radio to Futaba with the list of conditions/steps to perform to replicate the problem. Well, you are Tech person so I'm sure you know what I mean.

Good luck and please keep this thread updated with your progress.

Thanks,
Rico.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:45 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
Lithonion,
I hope the software update does the trick, I'm more than familiar with the frustration of intermittent problems such as this, as I'm a retired field tech with much experience in servicing POS equipment, some of it fit both interpretations of POS. It also could be said that the equipment Needed Constant Repair
Good luck,
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:25 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Well, I sat down with my Futaba in hand and switched from model to model for over an hour. I wanted to shoot for two hours but my gawd was I sick of hearing beeps. I could not get it to loose any settings. I am going to keep flying and if it looses any settings when the snow hits the ground I will probably send it in to have it looked at. It will still be under warranty.

My best service call, and this really happened to me. We had a wind wall come through, 80+ MPH winds. Almost 80% of the city was without power. I got a call from a lady, she was in a panic how her system was not working. I asked her if she had electricity. She told me, "No, we have no power here!!!" I had to let her know that her POS will not work without it. She then calmed down and replied, "Oh, ok. Well thanks for calling me back!"
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:08 AM
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion View Post
With the new firmware it is possible to load a model directly from SD so it would be highly interesting if both models, you can have one on SD an one in the transmitter, fail.
Another thing, if your model fails it would be nice if you make a copy of the wrong model memory and afterwards do a binary compare between the saved one and the ugly one so you know whitch parts of the model memory are altered.
Maybe there is a problem with model memory update or also possible that there is a hardware problem.

lg
maikoflyer is offline Find More Posts by maikoflyer
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikoflyer View Post
With the new firmware it is possible to load a model directly from SD so it would be highly interesting if both models, you can have one on SD an one in the transmitter, fail.
Another thing, if your model fails it would be nice if you make a copy of the wrong model memory and afterwards do a binary compare between the saved one and the ugly one so you know whitch parts of the model memory are altered.
Maybe there is a problem with model memory update or also possible that there is a hardware problem.

lg
Nice to know the update lets you choose right off the SD card. I will keep what you posted in mind if anything is to happen.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:52 PM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
196 Posts
VARNING about 8FG Software Update Ver. 2.0

Hi,
Just thought that I should tell ev eryone how importent it is to backup all models in memory before running the update AND THEN CHECK EVERYTHING after the uptade.
I did the backup but I did not check every model in memory aftar the update and that made me crach my NPM FURY 3D fuse into two parts , one aileron came of and the cowl broke .
As a newbe that had only flown the Fury once before as my first plane after the MiniMag I had set the ailerons to just maybe 15 mm up and down.
On that I had about -50% expo and the same on the elevator.
Checking the Model memory now at home it is 1full up and down and no expo.
The most strange thing is that -20% expo has been added to switch SG and -40% expo to switch SD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will import my backups from my PC back into the T8FG tomorrow and see how it looks.
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:20 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrik59 View Post
Hi,
Just thought that I should tell ev eryone how importent it is to backup all models in memory before running the update AND THEN CHECK EVERYTHING after the uptade.
I did the backup but I did not check every model in memory aftar the update and that made me crach my NPM FURY 3D fuse into two parts , one aileron came of and the cowl broke .
As a newbe that had only flown the Fury once before as my first plane after the MiniMag I had set the ailerons to just maybe 15 mm up and down.
The most strange thing is that -20% expo has been added to switch SG and -40% expo to switch SD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will import my backups from my PC back into the T8FG tomorrow and see how it looks.
Petrik59, sorry to hear about your crash. I have more than a dozen models that I actually fly with my 8FG. I saved the models and did the update and found not a single change in any of the model. I have actually flew many of them after the update. I did my recheck and double check and everything was fine for me.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:38 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Yes, my models functioned the same as well. I was actually expecting to have to change their settings after the update, but everything seemed to check out fine.

Sorry about your crash though. It always sucks when something like that happens, especially if it could have been prevented...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2008
196 Posts
Hi SalamSyed,
Strange, but I have heard other that have had Models disappearing from the memory after updates
I will go through all my models and make an excel sheet how the models are setup on my backups and how they are now after the update.
This excel sheet will be sent to Futaba with an explanation on what happend.
I do not know if they care, but they should!
It also whould be nice if it was possible to extract all models directly to an excel sheet with some sort of application (maybe something for FUTABA to think about).

IKt is really nice that we have this "New Futaba 8FG" thread for sharing things like this.
Collecting all the good stuff and the bad stuff in one place.

Someone att FUTABA really should read this thread every day!!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:45 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Someone att FUTABA really should read this thread every day!!
I think they do, or at least close to it. Not the manufacturer directly, but Hobbico, or a representative of some sort will chime in now and then on a fairly regular basis.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:22 PM
Joined Jan 2008
196 Posts
I am a stupid ignorent idiot!

The above line is referring to what I wrot ealier regarding "VARNING about 8FG Software Update Ver. 2.0" (the text is in the end of this message).
First of all I will apologize to FUTAB for what I wrote becouse I was completely wrong.
Second I am at least man enough to admit that I made a wery big misstake.

I started my T8FG to check out all the settings in my models to se if something else was wrong.
I checked the one I used last and find that everything was wrong.
When I (in anger) should turn the radio of I noticed the Modelname on the screen.
MiniMag!!!!!!!!!! What the hell?????????????
I have been flying the FURY so the modelname should be FURY!!!!
I HAVE BEEN FLYING THE FURY WITH SETTINGS FOR MY MINIMAG!
i HAVE FORGOTTEN TO CHANGE MODEL ON MY RADIO AFTER FLYING MY MINIMAG.
No wonder I crached it.
Please, please please forgive me for my stupidity.
I am really ashamed abot this.
I will punish myself by not flying anything for a whole week (that is a realy hard punish).

Once again, forgive me for being stupid and writing bad things about a radio that I love flying with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrik59 View Post
Hi,