SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:56 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
I especially like the new function where the power switch is disabled when the keys are locked.
The power switch seems to function normally still. I think it's a hard on/off. What it looks like was changed is that the sensor touch pad remains locked after cycling the power now.

Quote:
Has anyone upgraded yet? Wondering if the upgrade has any affect on existing model settings that may use functions that changes were made to (ie Idle down feature.....)
As far as I can tell you still have the same functionality of the model settings that you had before, including idle down. I was expecting I'd have to reprogram my models. Nope, doesn't look like it so far. But, I haven't checked everything out yet, so it's probably a good idea to test yours out first too.

By the way, you can use the same SD card your models are stored on for the update without interfering with them. You might want to back it up first just in case anyway though.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Jul 14, 2010 at 06:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:07 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
Ahh, makes sense now. Still a good feature
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:25 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
The power switch seems to function normally still. I think it's a hard on/off. What it looks like was changed is that the sensor touch pad remains locked after cycling the power now.

As far as I can tell you still have the same functionality of the model settings that you had before, including idle down. I was expecting I'd have to reprogram my models. Nope, doesn't look like it so far. But, I haven't checked everything out yet, so it's probably a good idea to test yours out first too.

By the way, you can use the same SD card your models are stored on for the update without interfering with them. You might want to back it up first just in case anyway though.
Thanks Wrend!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:02 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
No problem.

For a while there I was afraid Futaba was going to sit relatively idle when it came to updating the 8FG. As it is now, it looks like I was mistaken.

It seems like Futaba really has their act together with the 8FG. I love the upgrades in V2.0, and it was easy and user friendly to update. I also really like the PDF explaining the new/updated functions.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:28 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,476 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Update was easy. I like the keylock feature update. Now I don't have to remember everytime before flying.

^R^
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:01 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
I like some of the new features too! Great documentation and super smooth upgrade!!!!

Unfortunately for me the annoying timer minute beeps cannot be muted. The ultimate would have been to include what they have (beep on up or down every minute for those that like it) but also allow the minute tones to be muted, and only provide audible tones near the end of timer expiration and burst at end (which they have). Just my preference is to hear beeping at the end so I know I need to think about landing soon. This is how my older transmitter works. The minute tones really do not provide much value to me and are more annoying as other flyers keep telling me my transmitter is beeping while I fly. Oh well....guess Futaba can't satisfy everyone all the time.....maybe they are listening and can build it in to the next s/w update?????
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:56 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
I agree that it should be optional. From what I can tell the update hasn't been released by the US distributor yet. Maybe we'll see a V2.1 that can address this before too long?
Last edited by Wrend; Jul 14, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:10 PM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
I agree that it should be optional. From what I can tell the update hasn't been released by the US distributor yet. Maybe we'll see a V2.1 that can address this before too long?
The new software for North America will be posted to Futaba-rc.com tomorrow. Updates are also included for the 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ. Lots of cool new stuff to work with.

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:41 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
I'm really loving the new firmware update, I've found some interesting ways to use the throttle limit feature on my governed electric helis (assigned it to the T3 trim switch, so that I can easily tune headspeed for each idle). Now when setting up a new heli, I just set the idleup throttle curves to a flat 100% and use the trim switch to set headspeed for each idle (T3 set to large steps and set in separate mode).

Other cool things I've found after toying with it, is that since I run Futaba and CSM HH gyros in all my aircraft (which trimming in HH is a no-no), I never use the T4 trim. So I've now assigned the T4 trim to the gyro "Fine Tuning", also set in separate mode, so I can tweak each flight mode's gyro gain according to headspeed, without having to land or hunt for lever position.

I also think I've found a way to tie idleups to one of the trims so that I can "paddle shift" between idleups to free up the left shoulder switches on my AP ship (still with the throttle hold on the SG switch though, but normal/idle1/idle2/idle3 on just 1 trim switch).

One possible "bug" I've found with the new firmware though, is that under the "WARNING" menu for power on (where you can disable warning alerts), with helis turning off the "THR HOLD" warning doesn't do the job unless you also turn off the flight condition warning as well (basically, the flight condition warning warns if you turn on the radio in anything but normal flight mode). It would be nice if they had it so that when you turn off the THR HOLD warning it ignored that mode specifically (after all, THR HOLD is safer than normal mode anyways). But it's a small enough thing that I'm not worried about it (all my helis are electric, and governed with slow spoolup and safety arming, so I'm not worried about "hot starts" in idleups), and they may have chosen to do it this way by design.

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:05 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf View Post
The new software for North America will be posted to Futaba-rc.com tomorrow. Updates are also included for the 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ. Lots of cool new stuff to work with.

Steve
Sounds good. Thanks for the info Steve. I take it the update software for the 8FG will be the same?

Guess I can just wait a few hours and see...

The warning options menu is really nice. Maybe they could do something like that with the various alarms and beeps too (such as start up tone on/off, warning alarm on/off, menu navigation beep on/off, timer minute beep on/off, timer alarm on/off, and the like) in a future update.
Last edited by Wrend; Jul 15, 2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:39 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 Posts
I just updated my 8FG, no issues at all.

Files are available at Futaba USA site now.
http://2.4gigahertz.com/downloads/downloads.html

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:14 AM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
I just updated my 8FG, no issues at all.

Files are available at Futaba USA site now.
http://2.4gigahertz.com/downloads/downloads.html

Doug.
What is the name of the file?
The only zip files from 2010 I can see is PCLink Software & SBDLink Software.
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:33 AM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrik59 View Post
What is the name of the file?
The only zip files from 2010 I can see is PCLink Software & SBDLink Software.
OK, I found it, just needed to refresh my browser.
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59
Last edited by Petrik59; Jul 16, 2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:25 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Futaba 8FG updated and beeps

This is the best mid-range/ allround Tx and it just got better! Updated mine too without hazzle (but I made a backup of all models just in case, and used a different SD card for the process).

Im with impaired hearing and agree to the posts on the beeps. After using this Tx for a while now, I still get confused at the field as I am not sure what beeps I hear - mine or others, warnings or just the minute beeps - please, in version 2.x, make the beeps optional. I just want the Tx to scream eg. when battery goes flat or my timers have counted whatever they are set to measure.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:36 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Just to clarify, it now looks like it isn't possible to go back to an earlier software version. I just tried to see if you could and got an invalid file error.