Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 14, 2010, 09:01 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
What program did you use to grab the pictures? Nice plane.
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Last edited by air mail rcg; May 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2010, 12:09 AM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiW View Post
hi guys .. been flying with the 8FG for 2 months now and its been great
after changing over from dx7 .. i have been using my old 4 channel ESKY tx as the radio for my SIM
question .. i cannot seem to get my 8FG to transmit PPM signal out thru the trainer port to be used on my SIM
i went into SYSTEMS MENU>TRAINER (page4/4) .. here ACT can only be set to OFF or INH .. i cannot get it to turn to ON although i have set the proper switch for it to turn it on
help please ??
thanks
anybody using the 8FG with a PPM USB dongle similar to the ESKY USB ??
anybody ??
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
Old May 15, 2010, 04:25 AM
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a new radio during this holidays and it's likely that I will order Futaba 8FG or 10CG.

Here are some questions:
1. Both Futaba radios are sold in 4 configurations: mode 1 air, mode 1 heli, mode 2 air and mode 2 heli. On the other hand, on both radio's websites it is written that they are "Mode 1-4 selectable" and that they contain "Airplane, heli and glider software". So can I select the mode and software type or not? If yes then why are these radios sold as 4 options?
2. What are these knobs for in the front of both radios? Can they be used for proportional control of any channel? (in 8FG they are named LD and RD)
3. Both radios have 4 switches in the upper part. Can I assign any switch to control any channel?
4. Which of these radios have "flight modes" option? How many flight modes are available?
5. In order to fly in a buddy box, should I just buy the Futaba buddy box cord or something else is needed?
6. Is connecting Futaba 10CG or 8FG to a Graupner/JR radio to fly in a buddy box just the matter of attaching different plug on one side of the cord?
7. If both radios have an SD card, then what is the advantage of using a CAMPac module for saving settings?
8. What do you use these rotary trims on the back of 10CG for?
9. Are there any killer advantages of buying 10GC exept having two more channels?

Thanks,
Szymon
Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
Last edited by Szymon Bartus; May 15, 2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old May 15, 2010, 05:21 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,502 Posts
The choice depends on what type of model you fly. The 8FG does have a few more advanced features than the 10C but it depends on what you need. I looked at both and decided that the 8FGH best suited my needs.

Have you seen the Futaba Radio System Feature Comparison chart?
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 15, 2010, 06:37 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
These are in regard to the 8FG. I don't have a 10CG.
Quote:
1. Both Futaba radios are sold in 4 configurations: mode 1 air, mode 1 heli, mode 2 air and mode 2 heli. On the other hand, on both radio's websites it is written that they are "Mode 1-4 selectable" and that they contain "Airplane, heli and glider software". So can I select the mode and software type or not? If yes then why are these radios sold as 4 options?
The kind you order determines what the default radio setup is, though it can be changed to suit any of those setups.
Quote:
2. What are these knobs for in the front of both radios? Can they be used for proportional control of any channel? (in 8FG they are named LD and RD)
They are two proportional dials and can be assigned to any channel.
Quote:
3. Both radios have 4 switches in the upper part. Can I assign any switch to control any channel?
The 8FG has 6 3-position switches and 2 2-position switches (one of which is a momentary switch). All the switches, dials, sliders, sticks, and trims of the 8FG are assignable.
Quote:
7. If both radios have an SD card, then what is the advantage of using a CAMPac module for saving settings?
The 10CG isn't SD card compatible.
Quote:
9. Are there any killer advantages of buying 10GC exept having two more channels?
Both radios have some advantages over the other. However, the 8FG has 8 proportional channels and 2 switchable (digital) channels. The receiver it often comes with is only 8 channels though. Have a look at the link RC Man provided to help compare the differences between the two.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; May 15, 2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old May 15, 2010, 07:44 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,502 Posts
The main problem with the 10C is it does not use a SD card and you can’t upgrade the firmware when Futaba comes out with new features. The SD card also allows you to backup our setups on a computer.

I would say that your two choices should be between the 8FG and 12FG. The 10CG is older technology.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air mail rcg View Post
What program did you use to grap the pictures? Nice plane.
Thanks,
the video camera is a Sony HDR-SR11, with a 60 GB built in hard drive. It captures video in the AVCHD format. Excellent video quality, though the Hyper maiden flight day was grey and overcast.
The included Sony PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software allows you to transfer video to a computer in AVCHD format, for editing, and burning video direct to disc. The software also allows you to "capture" frames during playback, then save them as a .jpeg file. So that's how I got the images.
One nice thing about this PMB software, you can burn Hi-Def AVCHD video to a regular recordable DVD (not expensive Blue Ray blank) , and play back , on a SONY Blue Ray/AVCHD player in full 1920X1080i format.
On the previous page, post #800 the first two Pulsar pictures were also "captured" off a video. That's why they are a bit blurry.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; May 15, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:23 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hey 320pilot,

Nice shots, where are you flying at? Looks beautifull, I'm in Florida and we don't have mmountains or hills for that matter, just landfill sites which we do fly from. Looks like your plane flies really nice. How much does that camera go for? I'm looking for a new camera this year maybe after the summer. Thanks,

Rockitglider
Rockitglider is offline Find More Posts by Rockitglider
Old May 15, 2010, 09:39 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello 320pilot,

I was just looking at the build thread for the Hyper and noticed your antenae wiskers going out the bottom(side) of the plane, is this working good for you and do you get any damage to them during landings? I have been making plastic tubes for mine inside the planes fuse, I have to glue one straight down the side of the fuse and I bend a short one with a 90 deg. bend on it so one is straight and one is 90 deg. from the other. But I think the antenae exit guides looks good. Thanks,

PS: I think the antenae positionning is one of the most difficult things for 2.4 radios especially with a narrow fuse.

Rockitglider
Old May 15, 2010, 01:28 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockitglider View Post
Hello 320pilot,

I was just looking at the build thread for the Hyper and noticed your antenae wiskers going out the bottom(side) of the plane, is this working good for you and do you get any damage to them during landings? I have been making plastic tubes for mine inside the planes fuse, I have to glue one straight down the side of the fuse and I bend a short one with a 90 deg. bend on it so one is straight and one is 90 deg. from the other. But I think the antenae exit guides looks good. Thanks,

PS: I think the antenae positionning is one of the most difficult things for 2.4 radios especially with a narrow fuse.

Rockitglider
I had a lot of problems with antenna placement in my 2m Poly Pulsar, using the Spektrum AR6250 Rx. It has long "whiskers" just like the Futaba Rx in the Hyper.
In the end, the only antenna location, that would work in the Pulsar was with the two wires angled down. See first pic. With the AR6250, you would get red LED indications after a flight with a # of "holds" , if the antenna wires were any closer to the wing, and the CF "D" box.
I did a range check with the Futaba setup, in the Hyper, no problems flicking ailerons up and down pretty far away.

Range check, with 7 channel Futaba FASST rx in Pulsar just checked ok. Even when I ducked below line-of-sight to Pulsar, I could still "wiggle" tops of V tails. No line-of-sight between Tx and Rx antenna.

Ideally, the Futaba Rx would have been further back in the Hyper, allowing me to put the antenna wires at the very end of the fuselage, like the Pulsar. But two servos in the Hyper block the rear fuselage, and Rx has to fit in front of these Rud /Elev servos

So I decided to use the same antenna config in the Hyper, that I had used in the Pulsar. I do land in pretty long grass here. No antenna damage yet, and I hope the antenna guides help too.
Last edited by 320pilot; May 15, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:29 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello 320pilot

You really do nice work, I was admiring your work on your push rods. I don't see any solder on your threaded couplings where the rods join, how do you get them so clean? and the push rods look black, did you paint them or are they not steel? They almost look like carbon rods. I know this is not consistent with the thread topic, but I'd reaaly like if you could give me some tips on how to get the push rods looking so good, Thanks,

Rockitglider
Old May 15, 2010, 05:58 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello everyone,

I figured out how to do the slow deployment of butterfly, before when I was trying the speed settings in the butterfly menu I only tried setting below 10 or 15 for each flap, aileron and elevator, but today I said what the hell I'll try the highest setting which was 27, so when I turn on the butterfly switch it looked like nothing was happening but then I saw the controls start to move real slow, so 27 is way too high but at a setting of 20 it does exactily what I was looking for. You gotta try this it's really neat to see the controls moving slow like that. Let me know how it works for you all. So you could also make any of them move a little faster than the others if you wanted to on butterfly. This is cool, I really love this radio, everytime I do programming I figure out something new!

See ya, Rockitglider
Old May 15, 2010, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockitglider View Post
Hello 320pilot

You really do nice work, I was admiring your work on your push rods. I don't see any solder on your threaded couplings where the rods join, how do you get them so clean? and the push rods look black, did you paint them or are they not steel? They almost look like carbon rods. I know this is not consistent with the thread topic, but I'd reaaly like if you could give me some tips on how to get the push rods looking so good, Thanks,

Rockitglider

these pushrods are carbon fibre rod. As long as the length isn't long, they work great on these built up wings. I did my first one on the Pulsar flap linkage, then flew it all last summer/fall to see if there were any problems. So now I have the same linkage on my Hyper flap servo, and ailerons. One end of the CF rod is epoxied into the clevis, and the other end is epoxied into the brass coupling. The brass end is threaded into the clevis at the control horn, allowing some adjustment.
So far, no failures, very light weight setup. I got the brass and nylon hardware from icare-rc.com; the clevis package includes tiny brass pins to connect to the control horn/servo arm. CF rod from another source.

http://www.icare-rc.com/hardware.htm
Old May 16, 2010, 04:03 AM
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Hello,

Is this CAMPac module just a memory card in a plastic housing? If yes, then can I just buy this card separately from a computer store and then insert it to my radio?

Can I somehow connect a CAMPac to a computer? If not, then is there any way to make a software update in 10CG?

Regards,
Szymon
Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
Old May 16, 2010, 05:40 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymon Bartus View Post
Hello,

Is this CAMPac module just a memory card in a plastic housing? If yes, then can I just buy this card separately from a computer store and then insert it to my radio?

Can I somehow connect a CAMPac to a computer? If not, then is there any way to make a software update in 10CG?

Regards,
Szymon

NO

The CAMPac is a 20 year old technology memory chip. Many many years ago there was someone who came up with a circuit to connect it to a serial port but computers usually donít have them anymore.

If I were you I would forget about trying to use such old technology and move up to something more modern.