SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,414 Posts
Wrend wrote;
[quote]This is assuming that you selected 2 aileron channels and 1 or 2 flap channels when you made the model type.[quote]

yes I did, two ailerons, one flap (servo). I put both flaps and butterfly on J3, left stick. At about 1/3 of full flap (30% travel) ailerons start to rise at same speed as I move J3. They are not on an independent lever/slider. That would be too complicated for me! I like your idea to make the spoilerons active at 0 (J3) but I didn't want them to rise with the first deployment of flap, so I set them up deploy at approximately 30% of flap.

At this point I don't have a lot of "up" aileron travel with butterfly; I want to fly it first and see what kind of pitch excursions I get as I deploy flaps/butterfly.

This is the first time, I haven't just had my flaps on the 3 position switch with my Dx-7 Tx. First time for motor on a switch, SE and flaps on left stick, with the Futaba 8FG
I have a video of this flight control check uploaded to Vimeo, will add a link.
Hyper 2.3 flight control check (1 min 23 sec)

if you click on the Vimeo URL, you can watch it at their site, full screen in Hi Def

Here are some pictures of the Butterfly screens
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; May 11, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 02:44 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello,

That looks great, just the way I'm going to set it up. Looks like you need to put +35-+40% elevator in you butterfly and you wont get a baloon when applying flaps. or you could do it with flap to elevator mix as well. Thanks for the help,

Rockitglider
Rockitglider is offline Find More Posts by Rockitglider
Old May 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,414 Posts
Rockitglider,
I had already set up a flap to elevator mix.

When I set up Butterfly with 50% offset (screen 3) the ailerons did "balloon" up, so 30% worked out better. I didn't want the ailerons coming up too high, with butterfly; I don't want to run out of aileron travel. That way I will still have roll authority at slowww... speed

By the way, I have aileron to rudder mix , you can see it in the video clip. Should I have this on a switch, so I can fly without the rudder mix? Right now it's on all the time.

just wondered, I don't want to be flicking too many switches in the air!
Last edited by 320pilot; May 11, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:51 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello,

I think if you use the aileron to rudder mix keep it on all the time, I just learned to fly using rudder seperately and thats what I'm used to. The only time I can think that the mix would be a problem is when doing a flat turn in a thermal I sometimes ues opposite aileron so I can apply more rudder to keep the turn flat and tight, doesnt always work out that way though What I do want to figure out is how to put butterfly on a switch in addition to the way you have it setup so the flaps can be used without butterfly by changing a switch. Sometimes I will only use flaps without the ailerons going up. I think a P mix will do this, still reading in the manual.

Rockitglider
Old May 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello,

OK I got it working somewhat, the butterfly will go on with switch SF, then if I put flaps in with the throttle stick the ailerons will go back to normal and the flaps will stay down. I overides the butterfly (Landing) condition. Rather than explain all the settings I'll attach my file. You can view it with your radio, just back up your present file on your SD card first. I named the file like the wing and tail setup. Glider 2Ailerons-2Flaps-V-tail. Check it out.

Rockitglider
Old May 11, 2010, 11:17 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2000
91 Posts
What a beatiful glider and gorgeus nature behind

Cheers
SiPet is offline Find More Posts by SiPet
Old May 12, 2010, 09:38 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,414 Posts
Maiden Succesful!!

Rockitglider, Wrend,
had a succesful first flight yesterday. After a quick range check, a friend launched the Hyper on it's maiden flight. It was nice having the big countdown display. Upper display recorded total engine run time (at WOT). Lower timer showed time from launch.
Climbout was more sedate than my much lighter Poly Pulsars, but super stable. I did one test "dive" at altitude, lower nose to 45 degree, then after building up some speed, release the sticks, and see what it does. Nose gradually rose up again. So my C of G is ok?

Second launch I did myself, and it climbed out hands off, slowly pitching up over about 3 seconds.

Coming in to land was a bit squirrely, I need much more flap to elevator mix. Nose ballooned up with first flap selection, even though I had slowed back quite a bit, then I had to use a lot of nose down stick input to land.
Rather than 60 % LINEAR Flap-Elev mix,(what I had) I will try this new, non linear mix. Elevator will mix more quickly, then as butterfly deploys, mix gradually reduces.
Last edited by 320pilot; May 12, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 05:44 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,414 Posts
trying to "bind" a R617FS receiver to my 8FG. I turn Tx on, then plug a receiver pack into some open plugs on Rx . (black wire to right side, outside edge of Rx.)

Red light on Rx is now on, then I carefully press in on bind tab, red LED flashes, I release tab. LED continues to flash for a few seconds, then goes back to solid red.

What am I doing wrong?
Old May 12, 2010, 05:51 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Go into frequency and change the transmitter the the 7 ch function. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
trying to "bind" a R617FS receiver to my 8FG. I turn Tx on, then plug a receiver pack into some open plugs on Rx . (black wire to right side, outside edge of Rx.)

Red light on Rx is now on, then I carefully press in on bind tab, red LED flashes, I release tab. LED continues to flash for a few seconds, then goes back to solid red.

What am I doing wrong?
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old May 12, 2010, 05:59 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,414 Posts
well if I do that, then do I have to change the freq BACK to fly my Hyper with the 8 channel R6008HS Rx?

OK, thanks Brian. Now I am in 7 channel mode, LED on R617FS is green. I tested Rx with a servo, seems to work now.
I will go back and check my Hyper is ok.

Not the greatest manual, small plastic case/instructions with 7 channel Rx said nothing about this.
Last edited by 320pilot; May 12, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:04 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Sounds like a successful maiden flight. Few things to work out to get it dialed in, but that's always the case, of course. Thanks for sharing.

What BrianSmith said; You need the 8FG to be in 7 channel mode instead of multi channel mode to get it to link with and operate the R617FS receiver. Not a big deal. It will store the setting in model memory so that you don't need to keep switching back and forth.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old May 12, 2010, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,414 Posts
Thanks Wrend, I will post some flying video of maiden soon.

getting back to the 7 channel mode, so I don't have to switch back to 8 channel mode, to fly the Hyper; I gather it will switch over to 8 channel mode when I make the Hyper selection in the Tx

ray
Last edited by 320pilot; May 12, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:19 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
well if I do that, then do I have to change the freq BACK to fly my Hyper with the 8 channel R6008HS Rx?

Hello 320Pilot,

It's always a good feeling to have a great maiden flight, I get a good high off this as well. I had trouble binding my 7 channel Rx as well, but you have to have the transmitter set to 7 channel instead of Multi channel first for it to work. You will need to make a different model setup for this, you can't use a 7 channel & an 8 channel on the same plane anyway because the servo channel settings are different for the two recievers as well. If you want to use either reciever in the same model you can duplicate your model in the transmitter then change one of the two to 7 channel and make the nessesary changes to the servo channels. just don't forget to change you transmitter to the correct model. You could name them Hyper-8 & Hyper-7 to tell them apart. I'm not sure if that's what you were trying to accomplish, but it's an idea. Again congradulations on a great maiden flight, it's a very sharp looking plane.

See ya, Rockitglider
Old May 12, 2010, 06:33 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Wrend, I will post some flying video of maiden soon.
Looking forward to it!
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old May 12, 2010, 07:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,414 Posts
Another question

this might save me a lot of work....I want to set up a simple V-Tail RETsailplane that has no ailerons, just a simple Poly wing. So, my only control surfaces are the V-tail for yaw and pitch, with a single flap on channel 6 (I guess).

in Sailplane mode, how do I get control to right stick for pitch and yaw? Or do I call this a delta wing? (which is how I did it before with my DX-7)

thanks