HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:17 PM
United States, MI, Durand
Joined Feb 2004
67 Posts
Does the 8FG have a diode in the charging circuit? Some Futaba radios do and others don't.
jones04 is offline Find More Posts by jones04
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:21 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones04 View Post
Does the 8FG have a diode in the charging circuit? Some Futaba radios do and others don't.
NO, Im glad because the first thing I did on my old Futaba radios was bypass the diode.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 08, 2010, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,420 Posts
Rockitglider, Wrend,

Trying to figure out how to program some "expo" for pitch and maybe aileron, to reduce sensitivity around neutral.
On page 61 of manual the END POINT Tx page has an input for "travel rate".
Is this Futaba speak for Expo? The manual says " The travel rate can be varied fron 30% to 140%." Is a higher number more, or less sensitive?

I can't find anything about expo in the manual..no index

ps. got butterfly working, thanks Wrend
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; May 08, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old May 08, 2010, 02:34 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Expo is on the dual rate screen, page 72 http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8fg-2_4ghz-manual.pdf
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old May 08, 2010, 03:53 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,420 Posts
Ok, thanks found it. I think, will try to eyeball elevator now, to see how much I need.

ps cute twins, Dylwad!
Old May 08, 2010, 03:56 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Expo.... Remember that with Futaba radios, the higher you go with the numbers the more sensitive it is, if you want the center to be softer, then you need to go - (negative).

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Last edited by DougV; May 08, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 08, 2010, 08:22 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Good point doug, I almost added that.

Thanks 320!
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old May 09, 2010, 05:25 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
Expo.... Remember that with Futaba radios, the higher you go with the numbers the more sensitive it is, if you want the center to be softer, then you need to go - (negative).

Doug.
Somewhere in the 10% to 30% works best for most of my applications. With rotary servo output arms you usually need about 15% to have a linear control response (its a geometry thing).

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 10, 2010, 05:55 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello,

I have -25 on my ailerons, -30 on my elevator, and -30 on my rudder. Make sure you enter it on all switch positions, on full and dual rate for each control surface. Also you can set up triple rates as well. I set mine at 70% with the switch in middle position, 60% in the switch down and 100% with the switch up with the exponential set the same in all positions. I have not tried this on the exponential yet I just got these settings from my 7 channel, but if its not mushy enough just lower it a little more.

See ya, Rockitglider
Rockitglider is offline Find More Posts by Rockitglider
Old May 10, 2010, 05:58 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post

ps. got butterfly working, thanks Wrend
Good to know you got it sorted out and working for you.

By the way, you take some nice pictures of your sailplanes.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old May 10, 2010, 07:25 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,420 Posts
Wrend,
Well I think I have the Butterfly working. At about 50% of maximum flap angle, the ailerons start to slowly rise symetrically. At least it looks cool, I will post a video. Got lots of expo on stabilator now, this sailplane has a sensitive full flying elevator so I thought that would be a good idea. Also some expo on ailerons too.
Ailerons are mixed to rudder. I might figure out a throttle mix to elevator later, for full throttle climbs.

Thanks everyone, maiden in a few days, when it warms up (we had snow yesterday)

here is another picture by the pond
Old May 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
Wrend,
Well I think I have the Butterfly working. At about 50% of maximum flap angle, the ailerons start to slowly rise symetrically. At least it looks cool,
Hello,

How did you get the ailerons to rise slowly? This is what I want as well. but cannot figure out how to do it. Thanks,

Rockitglider
Old May 10, 2010, 08:20 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,420 Posts
Well, they rise at the same rate, that I increase the flaps. If I move the left stick slowly, (to increase flaps) the ailerons rise slowly too.

I can take pictures of the butterfly page (on Tx ) if you want...having setup up A Dx-7 for a hotliner with a 4 servo wing I can get pretty creative
Last edited by 320pilot; May 10, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:46 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
Well, they rise at the same rate, that I increase the flaps. If I move the left stick slowly, (to increase flaps) the ailerons rise slowly too.

I can take pictures of the butterfly page (on Tx ) if you want...having setup up A Dx-7 for a hotliner with a 4 servo wing I can get pretty creative

Hello,

Thanks for your help, what switch or slider do you have them assigned to? And do you have your flaps seperate as well as with butterfly? and yeah a pic would be ok if its not to much trouble, Thanks,

Rockitglider
Old May 10, 2010, 11:01 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
I did think about that idea.
Only problem with that idea is, you might end up (with flap to aileron mix,) with one aileron moving up, and one down as you increase flap???
At least I figured out how to do a flap to elevator mix, in Prog Mix to avoid pitch up with flap selection. Nice you can chose where to have mix start, ie non-linear mix point.
reminded me of building pitch curves for Heli, norm, idle 1, idle 2 with my Dx-7
I was just messing around with this, and it's actually pretty easy to setup a programming mix to achieve what you wanted too. Make the master of the mix flaps and the slave aileron 1, then set the aileron link option in the mix to - to negatively mix in the second aileron. You set the mix up on J3 the same way you would butterfly (including revering J3 spoileron activation and setting where on J3 the ailerons are activated to deploy as spoilerons). On the J3 setup within the mix I would actually set where spoileron mixing is activated to 0 (the J3 stick all the way down) so that the mix is always activated and then use offset to determine where the spoilerons actually begin to deploy. Otherwise the spoilerons might jump up when they're first activated instead of rising smoothly with the flaps at the higher flap deployments. This is assuming that you selected 2 aileron channels and 1 or 2 flap channels when you made the model type.

Doing it this way instead you don't have to worry about the flaps setting within butterfly messing with the butterfly settings if you have flaps and butterfly both on the same control input (J3).

Sorry I didn't test this out sooner for you. Either way it looks like you got it working though. Good luck on the maiden flight.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; May 11, 2010 at 12:49 AM.