SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:23 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11
Will tower offer EASY Pay for this hitech radio?
3-Pay is available on the 8FG from Tower Hobbies.
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:22 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
UPS says that my 8FGH should arrive tomorrow. Itís going to be a fun weekend playing with my new toy.

Battery Diode
On all my Futaba transmitters I have had to bypass the diode to charge and test the battery. Does anyone have information on the location of the diode on a 8FG?

I always wondered why they didnít just install a selectable jumper to make it easier for us that like to cycle and test the transmitter battery without removing it.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:52 PM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
UPS says that my 8FGH should arrive tomorrow. Itís going to be a fun weekend playing with my new toy.

Battery Diode
On all my Futaba transmitters I have had to bypass the diode to charge and test the battery. Does anyone have information on the location of the diode on a 8FG?

I always wondered why they didnít just install a selectable jumper to make it easier for us that like to cycle and test the transmitter battery without removing it.

I hope you really enjoy the 8FG, it's really a nice transmitter, very easy to operate and I think it really has a nice feel to it.

Diode-wise, Futaba has not put them in transmitters since the 9Z, so you'll be able to cycle your batteries with no problem.

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:01 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf
Diode-wise, Futaba has not put them in transmitters since the 9Z, so you'll be able to cycle your batteries with no problem.

Steve
Thatís strange since I have a 7C-2.4 and had to bypass the diode.

Thatís good to know that the 8FG does not have a diode. I always like to cycle the battery in a new transmitter and record the capacity for future reference. I log the battery capacity every few months and so far thatís kept me from ever having a transmitter battery failure.

Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:50 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
887 Posts
My 12FG doesnt have a diode, the plug is a different size to every other Futaba TX because its only a 6 cell pack.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:08 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Wow fast shipping. I ordered Tuesday afternoon from Tower, and it's scheduled for delivery today

I will have to report back my thoughts on programming for DLG.

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:29 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,623 Posts
Wow, I was reading specs on that radio, it even has ball-bearing gimbals.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:39 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Can't_Fly
Wow fast shipping. I ordered Tuesday afternoon from Tower, and it's scheduled for delivery today

I will have to report back my thoughts on programming for DLG.

Brian P.
Tower Hobbies has always had excellent service.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:39 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Paul
The biggest difference between the 12 and 8FG seems to be the lack of "conditions" on the 8FG.
The comparison chart indicates no flight conditions. However, the manual claims there are 5 flight conditions. I'd tend to believe the manual, as it describes how to name them and assign them to switches
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivlrs
The comparison chart indicates no flight conditions. However, the manual claims there are 5 flight conditions. I'd tend to believe the manual, as it describes how to name them and assign them to switches
Not only that, but if you look at the Futaba description page I linked, the bottom most picture has the actuall display for glider use showing the flight conditions.

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk8000.html

Brian P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:57 AM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
the 8FG has conditions in glider and heli, but not in acro.
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:54 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
I just got my 8FGH and it sure is nice:
1. It balances better in your hand than my 7C-2.4.
2. Sticks are nice and smooth.
3. I sure like the display. It has a back light and zoom timer for eazy in-flight viewing.
4. It has much more helicopter capability than my 9C-72 or 7C-2.4.
5. That 8 channel receiver is sure a lot smaller and lighter than my old receiver. I am installing it in a helicopter that had a 9-channel PCM receiver. Electronic technology has sure come a long ways in the last few years.

Now for the things that could be better:
1. The manual is harder to use than my other Futaba manuals.
2. The charge plug is not standard and I will have to get a new charge harness for my peak charger. If you order this radio be sure and order the correct transmitter charger harness if you use a peak charger.

Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,245 Posts
Just like the 12FG, you need this charge jack: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSMF3&P=7

Or you can get one from Radio Shack

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:16 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Got my 8FG too.

Out of the box I turned it on and we had power

Turned it off, took the screws out of the back to have a look inside. I fly DLG's and need the momentary switch on the left side like the 9c/10c. After 30 min of desoldering and soldering , I was able to switch switches F and H. I now have a left hand momentary switch and the radio will never know the difference. It just didnít feel right modifying a radio that only had 1 min of use on the global timer, but the result was fine.

Maneuvering through the menus was a little different than my 10c, but I picked up on it fast. For DLG use it is able to do all the settings that my 10c had. This is all the radio I need to compete and am considering selling my 10c.

Brian P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:03 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Can't_Fly
Got my 8FG too.

Out of the box I turned it on and we had power

Turned it off, took the screws out of the back to have a look inside. I fly DLG's and need the momentary switch on the left side like the 9c/10c. After 30 min of desoldering and soldering , I was able to switch switches F and H. I now have a left hand momentary switch and the radio will never know the difference. It just didnít feel right modifying a radio that only had 1 min of use on the global timer, but the result was fine.

Maneuvering through the menus was a little different than my 10c, but I picked up on it fast. For DLG use it is able to do all the settings that my 10c had. This is all the radio I need to compete and am considering selling my 10c.

Brian P.

PICTURES GUYS OH PLEAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11