Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:06 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Don't forget that you can assign any function or control input to any channel or channels you want. Just go into the Linkage menu, and then the Function sub-menu.

Edit: Never mind. That's basically what rcwings already said.

But yes, changing the tail type to Ailevator is nice and easy when setting up your model. Be careful switching the tail type once the model is already setup, because it will reset all the model's programming and settings to default values.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Apr 20, 2010 at 04:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:45 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello,

I have a couple of questions,

1. What does Offset mean or used for? Offset from what?
There are offset options on Butterfly and Flaps Set
2. What is Cond. Delay and Cut-SW used for in Trim Mix and Camber Mix?
3. In the Function Menu I think there is 2 digital channels and they seem to be assigned to two switches from the factory, can I remove the switch assignment and leave the channels in the always on state?
I'm wondering if it will draw any current with these turned on all the time and is it ok to turn the off with no switch assignment?

Thanks for your help, Rockitglider
Rockitglider is offline Find More Posts by Rockitglider
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:18 AM
China
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
I'm using T8FG for several weeks.
I have some suggest for futaba that HAVE TO add to enhance T8FG
1. model match function
User controllabel match every receiver to models. Ensure mis-selected model that may cause extremely dangerous.
2. Service mode or at least stick calibration function must be open to users.
3. all switch function can logically combined not only condition selection
4. timer start by chanle out put level or by condition insteed of by stick pos or condition switches.
5. screen to display stick postion as well as servo outpus.
starmoon007 is offline Find More Posts by starmoon007
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:40 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmoon007 View Post
I'm using T8FG for several weeks.
I have some suggest for futaba that HAVE TO add to enhance T8FG
1. model match function
User controllabel match every receiver to models. Ensure mis-selected model that may cause extremely dangerous.
2. Service mode or at least stick calibration function must be open to users.
3. all switch function can logically combined not only condition selection
4. timer start by chanle out put level or by condition insteed of by stick pos or condition switches.
5. screen to display stick postion as well as servo outpus.
1. That can't be implemented in the 8FG, and isn't a Futaba feature (for which I'm personally glad). Just do a radio model check as part of your preflight check. It only takes a second to confirm that you have the right model selected. I prefer the added flexibility of not having model match. I mean no disrespect, but this hobby of ours is far from idiot proof...

2. Is your radio not calibrated properly? I would think this would be covered under warranty. Going into a service menu is not a standard user option. Even so, there are sometimes ways to gain access to service menus for resourceful individuals, though I'm pretty sure that making modifications in it isn't covered under warranty.

If you want to be able to calibrate your control inputs, make a request for that added functionality in a firmware update.

3-5. See number 2.

I wouldn't expect Futaba to add functionality in a firmware update any time soon. What would be the point of buying their more expensive radios if the 8FG could do everything they can do and more?

The only thing that would get them to do that is if more other brand radios start offering more functions at less price and Futaba is forced to add more capabilities to stay competitive. Something tells me that's partly why the made the 8FG in the first place.

As is, the 8FG is a very capable radio for the price. If you want something else, get something else.

Who wouldn't want their radio to do everything exactly the way they wanted it to? I guess I'm more of a realist, and am happy with what I can get from the 8FG, even though more is always better.
Last edited by Wrend; Apr 23, 2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:47 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockitglider View Post
Hello,

I have a couple of questions,

1. What does Offset mean or used for? Offset from what?
There are offset options on Butterfly and Flaps Set
2. What is Cond. Delay and Cut-SW used for in Trim Mix and Camber Mix?
3. In the Function Menu I think there is 2 digital channels and they seem to be assigned to two switches from the factory, can I remove the switch assignment and leave the channels in the always on state?
I'm wondering if it will draw any current with these turned on all the time and is it ok to turn the off with no switch assignment?

Thanks for your help, Rockitglider
1. Offset determines where butterfly is initiated on the input control. For example, if you're using the throttle/airbrake stick (J3) for butterfly deployment, you use Offset to set where on J3 butterfly is engaged and begins to deploy.

2. I'm not exactly sure. Normally a delay would slow the servo speed. The CUT-SW setting lets you select a switch that is used to enable or disable the COND.DELAY. Hopefully someone can fill in the blanks for us.

3. Yes, assign the digital channel (in the Function sub-menu in the Linkage menu) to -- and its on/off setting to on. If you're not using the digital channels for anything, then I would just leave them in the default off position and assign them both to --. I don't think it really effects power use one way or the other.
Last edited by Wrend; Apr 23, 2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:39 AM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
254 Posts
Digital channels only work when you are using the 14-channel receiver. They are channels 9 and 10 in the transmitter. They are on/off, and that's it. It makes no difference as to what position they happen to be in. There is no change in any of the transmitter's performance parameters if you use them or not.

If you want to use them, then assign a switch to activate them. If you're not using them, don't assign a switch. However, even if you're not using them, assigning a switch to them doesn't do anything. It's just like assigning any other channel to a stick, switch, knob, or slider. If you're not using it, nothing happens.
Bax is offline Find More Posts by Bax
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
Wrend wrote
[quote] 1. Offset determines where butterfly is initiated on the input control. For example, if you're using the throttle/airbrake stick (J3) for butterfly deployment, you use Offset to set where on J3 butterfly is engaged and begins to deploy.[quote]

just what I was going to ask..too bad I didn't read your post before I went crazy trying to find my flap switch/stick.

I followed the "setup" for my sailplane, ie 2 aileron, 1 flap, normal tail but I couldn't figure out which switch/stick is automatically assigned to flap, which is plugged into #6 on Rx as per setup table
.. tried all the switches . Finally realized FLAP HAS TO BE ASSIGNED TO A SWITCH, OR STICK IE J3 SO i ASSIGNED FLAP TO LEFT STICK. Hopefully with note above (about offset) I can now program butterfly to "lift" the ailerons at a predetermined percentage of flap extension.
BTW throttle seems to be automatically assigned to switch SE (3 postion switch) at left top of Tx..is that standard sailplane practice?. ...

thanks for the help Wrend
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Apr 25, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:48 PM
"How old are you?"
Brum, U.K.
Joined Feb 2006
544 Posts
Hi,

I don't have a jack yet so I unplug the battery and charge it on my lipo charger. I'm charging 200mah and in the morning i've looked at the charger and it's still going and on the 3 charges i've put in 1814mah, 1913mah and 1728mah back in? I've stopped the charge then, not sure why it hasn't stopped tho? The charger works fine on any other nimh/nicads..

How about the run time people are getting with a charge tho?
I'm getting about 8 hours on a charge.

Mike
Brummeh is offline Find More Posts by Brummeh
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:44 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
BTW throttle seems to be automatically assigned to switch SE (3 postion switch) at left top of Tx..is that standard sailplane practice?. ...

thanks for the help Wrend
No problem.

I don't know much about standard sailplane practices... I guess it makes sense though, if you want specific throttle levels for boosting the glider, and efficiency. It would be easy to start and stop a timer using that switch too, to get an idea how much of your battery pack's capacity you've used.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:58 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummeh View Post
Hi,

I don't have a jack yet so I unplug the battery and charge it on my lipo charger. I'm charging 200mah and in the morning i've looked at the charger and it's still going and on the 3 charges i've put in 1814mah, 1913mah and 1728mah back in? I've stopped the charge then, not sure why it hasn't stopped tho? The charger works fine on any other nimh/nicads..

How about the run time people are getting with a charge tho?
I'm getting about 8 hours on a charge.

Mike
So you're charging at 200mA? That should take a good 10 to 12 hours or so to fully charge the Tx pack when it's depleted. NiHM batteries don't charge as efficiently as LiPos, and as they're being topped off a lot of the energy will radiate off as heat. One way to know when the pack is fully charged is when it starts to warm up a little more. This can also be used to balance the cells in a pack. Just as a rough estimate, I'd guess that the cells have between 3/4 10 5/6 charging efficiency at these lower charging rates. So, if the charger says it charged the batteries 1000mAh, I'd figure the actual charged capacity of the batteries would be closer to 750mAh to 833mAh.

Also, the stock 8FG wall wart charger charges at 8.7 volts (on average). You have to have enough voltage on the charger to overcome the voltage of the battery pack to push the current into the batteries.

I haven't done a full continuous run time test on the 8FG yet, but it does seem to last a good long time.
Last edited by Wrend; Apr 25, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:07 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
No problem.

I don't know much about standard sailplane practices... I guess it makes sense though, if you want specific throttle levels for boosting the glider, and efficiency. It would be easy to start and stop a timer using that switch too, to get an idea how much of your battery pack's capacity you've used.

I just wondered why, when I selected "sailplane" as aircraft type, did throttle control automatically end up assigned to switch SE? I didn't assign SE to position #3/throttle on the receiver. But now that 3 position switch, gives me throttle off, 1/2 throttle and WOT.

How do I get switching on the throttle (switch SE) to start a timer?

Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:15 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Scroll through the home screen until you highlight ST1 or ST2 then hit RTN to drop into their setup menus. It'll let you set the times and assign them to a control input.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:21 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
thanks! Instant on line tech support!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:33 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
thanks! Instant on line tech support!
Yeah... I'm just hanging out here - weather isn't good for flying at the moment... Kind of damp and windy out.

Maybe Futaba can hook a brother up with a 10 channel Rx? It's the only valid shortcoming of trying to use the digital channels on the 8FG that the Futaba naysayers seem to keep pointing out.

Oh, back on subject, you can also manually start and stop the times by highlighting the time itself and hitting RTN. You can also reset any of the timers (including the user and model times) by highlighting them and holding RTN down for about a second. I use the user time to see how long it's been since I recharged the Tx battery.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:59 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
I had figured how to MANUALLY start and stop the timers, but having to select, say T1, and then scroll a timer page to reset it was a PIA. Now I have T1 set up to start on throttle switch (SE), and T2 to start with push on RTN contact switch, and T2 reset to zero on another switch.

So now I can display cumulative motor run time, on T1 display, and wheels up to touchdown time on T2 display

One more small question, If I plug my ESC connection to Rx into position #3, for throttle; I am going to power Rx with a separate Castle BEC. Can I just plug the BEC into any empty slot of Rx (say #8?) to provide power to Rx? That's how I did it before, power up receiver at any open set of pins.

Thanks
Last edited by 320pilot; Apr 25, 2010 at 08:01 PM.