HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:53 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello,

I bought this radio this week and have been reading the manual for about a week as well. I fly sailplanes so I'm using Sailplane model type with 2 Ail. & 2 Flap servos & V-Tail. I'm wondering if a condition, lets say "Landing" can be set to a switch (SF) and that condition be assigned to Butterfly with delay programed in, so when I hit the switch to activate Landing condition the Butterfly settings will activate at that point, but still be able to control the plane as normal, untill I turn the switch off going back to Normal condition. Is this possible? I'm trying to program this but have not figured it out yet. Is there a better source than whats been posted here already and whats found in the manual? I think the manual leaves some questions unanswered. I also own a 7C 2.4 radio with 7 planes programmed into it and the setup is much easier on that radio. Thanks for any help you can give,

Rockitglider
Rockitglider is offline Find More Posts by Rockitglider
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
1 OM KAR, SATNAAM
GTA , Ontario
Joined May 2004
303 Posts
I have joined the Futaba 8FG Club

Just bought it and now start to program it.

satnaam
1satnaam is offline Find More Posts by 1satnaam
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,384 Posts
Someday (with the SD card capability) it would be nice if people could post their program files for the 8FG Tx, on line.

Then you could, look for your (or similair) aircraft/sailplane say 2 aileron/2flaps w butterfly X-tail, then download their file onto your SD card, plug it into your 8FG Tx, and voila programming all done. Well, then you would check control travel and center control surfaces for your bird.
Or line by line programming, like this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=833

320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Apr 18, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:07 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
rcwings- thanks for the tip! I have been flying electric with this radio so I need to learn the gas side of things, and this will definitely help.
rod.d,

Good luck with the gas/glow venture and hope the tip helps! I fly glow and electric and enjoy both, but still nothing beats the sound to my ear of a four stroke purring around in an old bipe! Puts a big grin on my face every time!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:49 PM
DGF
Joined Feb 2009
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Someday (with the SD card capability) it would be nice if people could post their program files for the 8FG Tx, on line.

Models on 8FG/12FG SD cards can be shared online. Here is how:
  1. Download Futaba File System utility for 8FG/12FG from http://2.4gigahertz.com/downloads/downloads.html
  2. Insert the 8FG SD card that has model data to a PCs SD card reader.
  3. Run the downloaded Futaba File System utility (ffs.exe)
  4. Click File Mount from the menu bar to mount the SD card by selecting the drive letter (e.g. H: ) that is assigned to the SD card (a removable storage device) by Windows.
  5. Right click on a model to be exported and select Export from the context menu (or select Edit Export from the menu bar). This will save the selected model as a regular file on the PC file system (e.g. NTFS).
  6. The saved file can be posted online and imported to another 8FG SD card using Futaba File System utility. The Import procedure is the reverse of the exports (Edit Import, then select an exported model file from a PC).
DGF is offline Find More Posts by DGF
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:16 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
rcwings- yes I really enjoy the 4-stroke sound as well. It is the price and inconvenience of glow fuel that I hate . Once I switched to electric I really didn't think I would go back, but I have been successfully lured by a DLE30 and the upcoming 3D Hobby Shop 72" 330 Extra. So I have a lot to learn now as this is my first gasser. I have flown glow in the past, but these are a little more complicated. I really appreciate the tip on idle down, that sounds like a great idea.

Rod
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello,

Here's mine so far, still working on it. It's for my Art Hobby Sierra full house sailplane. I think we will have to post switch settings as well if we are going to share files so we don't have to figure out what others did. I used the default servo channels for a 2Ail./2Flap V-Tail Glider, SF=Landing with Butterfly, SE=Reflex on all flaps & ailerons. SA=Ail. D/R, SB=Elev. D/R SD=Rud. D/R

Make sure you 0 out all the subtrims and end points in the file before using it in any plane as they are set for my servos, in the future I will keep these at 0 when planning to share the files then make my changes as needed for my own setup.

Rockitglider
Rockitglider is offline Find More Posts by Rockitglider
Last edited by Rockitglider; May 10, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:51 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,145 Posts
DGF,
Thank you for that good info

rod.d,
Best of luck with the move to gas. The 30cc class is getting very popular, and the number of planes being made for that engine class seems to be increasing rapidly. This is my second season flying gas, glow and electric. I'm just now switching out an old Supertigre G90 on my Goldberg Extra 300. It's getting a rear carb RCGF 20cc, looks like the total weight gain will be about 4 oz. At this point in time the only thing I'll be flying with glow power is a well worn 4 Star 60 with a Saito .91, how sweet it sounds
Good luck,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:05 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
rcwings- yes I really enjoy the 4-stroke sound as well. It is the price and inconvenience of glow fuel that I hate . Once I switched to electric I really didn't think I would go back, but I have been successfully lured by a DLE30 and the upcoming 3D Hobby Shop 72" 330 Extra. So I have a lot to learn now as this is my first gasser. I have flown glow in the past, but these are a little more complicated. I really appreciate the tip on idle down, that sounds like a great idea.

Rod
Hi Rod,

The 330 should be sweet with the DLE30. I have been pondering switching to gas as have a couple larger Bipes (one in construction and another still in box) and a Citabria Pro that need power. Will see...but really tempted to get a new Saito 1.50 or 1.80 with the recent price drop.

In keeping with the 8FG topic - I suspect the 2.4 may be a little more forgiving with the spark ignition than 72MHz in terms of interference. Have not looked into that yet but imagine would still need to take similar precautions when provisioning for the flight gear installation. Let us know when you have that bird in the air. I hear the 3d HS stuff flies really well!!

Cheers,
Marko
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:08 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
What is the best way to program dual elevator servos?
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air mail rcg View Post
Go into you "LNK" menu under "Function" and set a spare channel (eg 6) to Elevator #2 (ELE2). It should automatically link the trims in with elevator #1 channel. I set this up recently on a 1.20 Sukhoi, and it worked well.

You may also want to look at page 29/30 of the manual as the radio can pre assign channels to functions. There are a number of configs you can use that suit your model type and a few for dual elevator servos. Would recommend you start with this. I modified mine slightly after noticing a slight delay between the two analog servos. Once in the air this would likely be negligible but I moved the channels around to be close to each other and yielded slightly better results on the bench.

Marko
Last edited by rcwings; Apr 18, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,384 Posts
DGF, Rockitglider,
Thanks for the pointer on downloading/saving to SD card 8FG files, and the file, rocketglider for your full house sailplane.
One of the reasons I bought this radio was for this SD card capability, to backup programing for different sailplanes.
My older Dx-7 has 18 aircraft saved in the Tx, helicopters, sailplanes, EDF foamies and hotliners . A lot of work There is no possible way to back up these "files" on the Dx-7 except with paper notes, of each program page of the LED display.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:28 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Go into you "LNK" menu under "Function" and set a spare channel (eg 6) to Elevator #2 (ELE2). It should automatically link the trims in with elevator #1 channel. I set this up recently on a 1.20 Sukhoi, and it worked well.

You may also want to look at page 29/30 of the manual as the radio can pre assign channels to functions. There are a number of configs you can use that suit your model type and a few for dual elevator servos. Would recommend you start with this. I modified mine slightly after noticing a slight delay between the two analog servos. Once in the air this would likely be negligible but I moved the channels around to be close to each other and yielded slightly better results on the bench.

Marko
Thanks for the info. I tried the Ailevator mix and that seemed to work. I'm still playing with the programing it's starting to make sense but it's going to take a little time.
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:44 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I tried the Ailevator mix and that seemed to work. I'm still playing with the programing it's starting to make sense but it's going to take a little time.
Hey no problem glad I could help. Don't be shy to post questions as we have a wide variety of pilots/users of this system that fly gliders, planes (gas, glow, electric), jets, helis and everything else in between, so someone should be able to provide an answer if you get stuck.

Cheers and happy programming!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:47 PM
Talk to me Goose!
Miramar, Argentina
Joined May 2005
148 Posts
Quote:
I chose Ailevator with a 2AIL+2FLAP configuration, so I can have all my 6 servos connected on channels 1 through 6.
Then, you can program the R6008HS to operate on high speed mode and enjoy the 7ms latency.
Remember that all 6 servos should be digital. Good Luck.
boex is offline Find More Posts by boex