HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:21 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
You can turn off the alarm for the timer you don't want to beep, but that turns off ALL of the beeps, including the ones where the timer is about to expire. It would be nice if it were a little more configurable, maybe a different tone for the other alarm, I don't know.
You are correct in that it will mute the end of timer tones (does not really mute it...you just push the alarm out beyond the intended end time), however it will not affect the minute tones. In the timer menu the "Alarm" input is for when the timer is to expire and the final beep tones are heard. Depending on up-timer or down-timer, setting this value to 00:00 or 59:00 will not mute the minute tones.

Unless I am missing something, I cannot find anywhere that indicates you can "mute" all tones???
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Last edited by rcwings; Apr 17, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:42 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
I can't seem to get the tx to link to the rx. Am I doing something wrong?

Linking to a R617FS.
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air mail rcg View Post
I can't seem to get the tx to link to the rx. Am I doing something wrong?

Linking to a R617FS.
Due you have the transmitter set to the 7-channel mode or multi-channel mode?

Under the Linkage menu, Frequency, FASST change MULT to 7CH.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
The tx seems to be linked to the 8 ch rx. I switched to the R6008HS Rx and it was already linked to it. Does it come from the factory already linked or did someone play with this radio? How do I change to a second model so I can link to the other Rx?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:28 PM
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
OK I switched to 7 ch and the R617FS rx linked up. My Question is why is the 8ch Rx working on all the models that I select when its in multi freq. Shouldn't it only work to the model it's linked to?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:46 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air mail rcg View Post
OK I switched to 7 ch and the R617FS rx linked up. My Question is why is the 8ch Rx working on all the models that I select when its in multi freq. Shouldn't it only work to the model it's linked to?
Once you have linked the TX with a RX it will work regardless of what model you select in the TX memory. There is no "Model Match" (I think that what they call it in Spectrum terms) in Futaba that identifies the model with a specific RX. Pros and Cons to both.....personally I like the Futaba approach as I am used to ensuring I have the right model selected and saves the "Binding" process (Linking) if I change models to another profile for the same plane.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by rcwings; Apr 17, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:54 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,505 Posts
For each model you need to select either the 7-channel (for 7 channel and lower receivers) or the multi-channel mode (for 8 channel and higher) receivers depending on the receiver installed in the model.

Futaba has a link once feature. You never have to link it again if you swap the receiver to another aircraft and use the same transmitter. Once you link it to your transmitter you never have to due that again. Unlike Spektrum, Futaba sets the fail-safe using the transmitter to program the receiver. I have been using Futaba PCM for years and it worked the same way. I think it’s much more convenient that way. It’s just that different manufacturers have different programming philosophy. Futaba elected to keep it just as their PCM systems so guys like me would feel right at home.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
Thanks RC MAN for all your info. I have been using a Spektrum Tx for a couple of years so I did get used to the model match. You still need to check that you picked the right model so it won't be a problem as far as I can see with the Futaba Tx. Things are starting to click with the programing. It's just going to be a learning curve for me. I'm not a eight year old any more so it will take me more then 5 minutes to learn the programing. Thanks for all your help.

Really like the radio.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
803 Posts
One feature I found to be fantastic on this Radio and needed to express is the combination of "Idle Down" and Throttle Cut" features! Any glow flyers not using this may want to take some time to set it up. It is not difficult, and I managed to set it up bang on in the shop. (lucky I guess!!)

I was always hesitant to purchase a radio with a digital trim on the throttle as it would not give me the needed finger feel of where the throttle trim was situated while flying. On my old radio my planes are set up with the throttle slider trim position at approximately 3/4 for a good reliable idle. On landing I would move it down to about 1/2 trim position which would give me a low idle for a nice slow landing (usually needed to adjust this a few clicks up or down as needed). Moving the trim all the way down would cut my engine. This worked pretty good, and I know it is not possible to simulate with a digital trim without looking at the transmitter trim indicator, and not as effective for my preference.

Along comes my new 8FG with this great feature! I set up one of the large toggles (SC) on the right to do my "Idle Down" and used the the momentary toggle (SH) as my "Throttle Cut". Suggest you do not use one 3-way toggle to do both functions, just in case you flip it too far killing the engine in flight! You can assign any switches that suit your own personal preference. I keep the "Idle Down" switch in the off position and start my plane. This gives me a good strong reliable idle and no worries when doing my aerobatic routines and getting a dead stick due to engine idle too low. On approach, I activate my "Idle Down" switch bringing engine RPM down enough to allow for a nice easy touch down. Taxi in and hit my Throttle Cut" switch, killing the engine. I never have to touch the idle trim tab, and am always assured of the same position each time......amazing!!! No more fumbling with the trim and makes one task a little easier when doing landing approaches.

As I mentioned I initially set this up in the shop, eyeballing the carb for approximate respective positions. I think I touched the trim once a couple clicks to set the initial idle when I first started the engine and have not had to touch it since. However it is not that difficult to adjust in the field for minor tweaking if needed.

Cheers!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 05:44 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,412 Posts
Two quick questions,
Does the 7 channel Rx R617FS, with two antenna wires have the same range and dual receivers as the 8 channel R6008HS?

I have one of each RX for now, planning to get more of the 7 channel R617FS.

Also, for my setup, sailplane 2ailerons, 1 flap, the throttle is on channel 3.
If I am powering Rx with a BEC in the ESC, do I just plug the wire from the ESC directly into channel 3? Seems like that is what to do.

thanks
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Apr 17, 2010, 05:50 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Two quick questions,
Does the 7 channel Rx R617FS, with two antenna wires have the same range and dual receivers as the 8 channel R6008HS?

I have one of each RX for now, planning to get more of the 7 channel R617FS.

Also, for my setup, sailplane 2ailerons, 1 flap, the throttle is on channel 3.
If I am powering Rx with a BEC in the ESC, do I just plug the wire from the ESC directly into channel 3? Seems like that is what to do.

thanks

Hi,

Yes, both receivers will have the same range.

And yes, the ESC goes to channel 3, just don't forget to reverse the throttle channel.

Regards,
Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:16 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,412 Posts
Thanks,
so if I have a Futaba Tx with Futaba Rx I still have to reverse the throttle channel?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:20 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,237 Posts
Yes, that's for the electric models.

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,412 Posts
Thanks, Doug.
With my hotliner pulling 50 amps/500 watts, that could be important.
Last edited by 320pilot; Apr 17, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 07:03 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
rcwings- thanks for the tip! I have been flying electric with this radio so I need to learn the gas side of things, and this will definitely help.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d