HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:50 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
As above.
In the home screen move teh cursor over "ST1"
push RTN and it will take you into the set up menu for the ST1 Timer 1
Here you can set it as a count up or count down timer and set the Start, Stop and reset.

Move the cursor to the _ _ lines next to start and push RTN. Itnow gives you a menu with all teh controls and switches.
Select J3 if you are Mode 2 ore which ever is your throttle stick.
If now asks for ON/OFF and push rtn and move to Set. ou can now set the point at which the timer switches on and off

Do not bother to set a STOP swich at this time. If you are flying electric and using MOTOR on CH3 then you can set a safety. You can use the Sfety as a STOP if you want.
I used to set Reset but I don;t anylonger because I simply go into the menu and push rest to set the timer to 00:00. again.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:42 AM
hamilton Vic
Joined Jun 2006
182 Posts
Thanks for the replies but they still have limitations. I like to do auto's and whilst my stick is above the bottom the timer is counting. If I use the hold switch I always have to remember to reset.

I wouldn't of thought it would of been that hard for Futaba to implement this change.

The way I would prefer is a throttle output %. DX8 has this and it is great for helis.
beans07 is offline Find More Posts by beans07
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2007
15 Posts
Looks at previous post where it says "it now asks ...", the answer is there.
ziper_it is offline Find More Posts by ziper_it
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
can only take the horse to water but can't make him drink
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:37 PM
hamilton Vic
Joined Jun 2006
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
can only take the horse to water but can't make him drink
I fly helicopters not plaks so it's still not ideal. Every time I hit high negative pitch the timer stops, to me this is not ideal.

Does anyone know if I can mix in the logic switch to get it to work properly?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:19 PM
Don't take your guns to town
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,607 Posts
beans, just put it on the hold switch. No matter where it is, you'll still have to reset it manually or turn off the TX between flights so you might as well just use the hold switch. Then either turn off the TX between flights, use the spring switch to reset, or use the 3rd position of the hold switch to reset the timer, so one click for autos and two for landings.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Well it might be an idea to suggest to Skaluf that Hobbico suggests to the factory that they linkin the timer to Conditions and that way it can only be activated when in Start, landing or hold modes.
If you need logic on every function then you want an 18MZ
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:12 AM
hamilton Vic
Joined Jun 2006
182 Posts
Thanks fror the replies. I will live with how it is for now. It's not the deal breaker on the radio. The logic setup is way out of my league, head hurts just thinking about it lol.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:50 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,710 Posts
Previously I wrote: So I'm using two small motors, one is an air pump and one is a fan. Both brushed. (They -could- be operated off one channel and one simple switch but for this prototype I'd -prefer- to operate them off two channels and two tiny brushed ESCs. (ESC vs switch is pretty close to the same price anyway.))

I want to use SC to control both motors such that pos-0 leaves both motors off, pos-1 turns on one motor, and pos-2 turns on both motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
There are several ways of doing this but the following method will work and it does leave you the option of being able to control the motor speeds via the rotary dials.

Start by assigning AUX1 and AUX2 in the Function Menu but do not assign controls or trims.
I've been meaning to say THANK YOU for your detailed explanation.

So, "THANK YOU!"

Your description didn't do exactly what I needed but only in that one logic aspect was reversed, but that was very likely because my explanation of what I wanted to do was convoluted and unclear. Didn't matter anyway because the moment I recognised the reversal I knew immediately what I needed to do to fix it.

I did leave out that one option about adjusting fan speed while in flight because it's something I'd set only once and then leave it that way so just as well to adjust between flights.

Those mix menus are *extremely* intricate and complex. Actually I -think- (not 100% sure) that there are settings that need to be done in the -2nd- menu page before certain options appear in the -1st- page.

On the plus side that complexity is what makes it all so freeking USEFUL for totally off the wall situations such as what I'm doing.

The electric-flour-smoke system is 98% done just a few more details.

Again thanks much for your tutorial.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:19 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,408 Posts
Anyone getting the 14SG yet? Was wondering if they had started shipping.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
have mine for a month already
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:00 AM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
425 Posts
[QUOTE=jbarchuk;24096861]

Those mix menus are *extremely* intricate and complex. Actually I -think- (not 100% sure) that there are settings that need to be done in the -2nd- menu page before certain options appear in the -1st- page.

QUOTE]

I'm glad my explanation was of some help.

Yes, when using PMix you have to set the Master first on screen 2/2. If you change this any data you have entered on screen 1/2 will be lost.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:00 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
have mine for a month already
I should have specified, in the US
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:33 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Trim Mix

Guys,

I'm getting into more complicated sailplane setups and have finally started taking advantage of my 8FG's Conditions. The one thing that that I don't quite grasp the logic of are the Trim Mixes. If I want to adjust my trailing edge (camber) for the various Conditions, I can do it in the Butterfly setup. If I want to adjust the elevator trim for a Condition, I can simply do it with the trim on the front since it's saved for each Condition. I see how I can also perform these same functions using the Trim Mixes but I'm not sure why I would. Is there an advantage to using the Trim Mix function or is it just another way to do something?

Thanks,
Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:46 AM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
Guys,

I'm getting into more complicated sailplane setups and have finally started taking advantage of my 8FG's Conditions. The one thing that that I don't quite grasp the logic of are the Trim Mixes. If I want to adjust my trailing edge (camber) for the various Conditions, I can do it in the Butterfly setup. If I want to adjust the elevator trim for a Condition, I can simply do it with the trim on the front since it's saved for each Condition. I see how I can also perform these same functions using the Trim Mixes but I'm not sure why I would. Is there an advantage to using the Trim Mix function or is it just another way to do something?

Thanks,
Randy
Butterfly and Camber mix give you proportional control over the trailing edge with any necessary elevator compensation. Trim Mix moves the control surfaces to a pre-determined setting at the flick of a switch.

Although you can set Trim Mix to give Butterfly settings it is generally much more effective to be able to control Butterfly by the throttle stick. On the other hand many glider pilots prefer to experiment to find good Camber and Reflex settings for the trailing edge and then simply select these with a switch rather than have to adjust a proportional control. In this event, Trim Mix is ideal.

With the separate trim feature available with flight Conditions your settings are stored when you change to a different Condition. While you could just use the trim levers to set up your model they are vulnerable to accidental movement. A better solution is to use the trims to determine the best settings and then transfer these into Trim Mix to make them permanent. For example, fly your model in a Condition with your chosen reflex section. Adjust the elevator trim lever until the model is correctly trimmed. Do the same in other conditions. On landing, go to the servo monitor and, with the controls at neutral, record the elevator servo positions caused by the trims in each Condition. Centre the trims and then adjust the Trim Mix elevator settings to give the same servo positions.

Depending on how far you want to go with your programming the attached notes may be of interest.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt