SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
Registered User
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Apr 2012
111 Posts
I want to buy a new radio in January and I did have it narrowed down to the Futaba 8FG Super, but Futaba just came out with a new system, the 14SG for the list price of $599. It will operate 2.4GHz FASSTest , FASST and S-FHSS protocols. This will allow you to operate all of Futaba's 2.4 recievers. I would really like to hear what the rest of you think.
mustangherb is offline Find More Posts by mustangherb
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:48 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Well lm upping from the 8fg to the 14sg as soon as l can. Can't wait to try it out. Love my 8fg and since the 14sg is just an improved 8fg. Im sure l will love the 14 just as much if not more.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:38 AM
Registered User
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
if you're looking for a very capable mid range radio, the 14SG cannot be beat. The 8Fg was already a superb (despite a lack of Flight Conditions in Airplane mode whilst provided in Heli or Glider mode) radio with the degree of programming flexibility it provides.
Exactly what the 14SG can do is very cloudy at this stage as Futaba has placed on to the web vry conflicting info about its specifications. IF you fly sport scale or just a Sunday flyer it will serve you well.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:01 AM
Registered User
jsmith285's Avatar
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,729 Posts
Looked the 14sg over at the JR fest. A bit heavier than the 8fg. Felt a bit larger too.
But sure looks sweet.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:13 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
Are the sliders on the side of the 14SG the same as on 8FG super?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:55 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Servos not returning to center?

Hello all,

I've encountered a situation this weekend with the maiden on my new extra. I have the 8FG with a brand new 6208 rx. I have the servos arms centered with small amounts of subtrim to get 90 degrees to the case. I am running 6v to brand new Hitec 5245mg servos (4 - 2ail, 1 rudd, 1 elev). I cannot get them to return to center consistently. There is no binding of linkages and all 4 servos do it. Sometimes they return to center and sometimes they don't. For example I'll move the right aileron stick and come back to center and the ailerons will be perfectly centered then I move the stick to the left and the ailerons will not be centered.

I'm not sure if it would be servo related or if it could be rx or tx related? I fly 3 other planes this radio and hitec servos, but not the 5 series servos. Everything works fine with a 617FS and HS65s and a 6208 with HS985s.

So the differences are different model, different rx and different hitec servos.

Is there anything that could indicate whether the problem is related to the tx/rx OR would it likely be all 4 servos?

I'm out of my element on this as I have never had this problem before.

Thanks,

Mike

(I'm sure I'm probably forgetting to mention some pertinent detail )
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:02 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
SalamSyed's Avatar
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Check the servo monitor and see what is happening there when they center and while they do not center.

Check your servo lead extensions if there are any and also check everything with a fresh model.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
bdelapen's Avatar
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Hello all,

I've encountered a situation this weekend with the maiden on my new extra. I have the 8FG with a brand new 6208 rx. I have the servos arms centered with small amounts of subtrim to get 90 degrees to the case. I am running 6v to brand new Hitec 5245mg servos (4 - 2ail, 1 rudd, 1 elev). I cannot get them to return to center consistently. There is no binding of linkages and all 4 servos do it. Sometimes they return to center and sometimes they don't. For example I'll move the right aileron stick and come back to center and the ailerons will be perfectly centered then I move the stick to the left and the ailerons will not be centered.

I'm not sure if it would be servo related or if it could be rx or tx related? I fly 3 other planes this radio and hitec servos, but not the 5 series servos. Everything works fine with a 617FS and HS65s and a 6208 with HS985s.

So the differences are different model, different rx and different hitec servos.

Is there anything that could indicate whether the problem is related to the tx/rx OR would it likely be all 4 servos?

I'm out of my element on this as I have never had this problem before.

Thanks,

Mike

(I'm sure I'm probably forgetting to mention some pertinent detail )
Hi Mike,

Set up a brand new model with no programming whatsoever. Go to the servo monitor screen and move your sticks around to see if they are returning to center correctly.

Several of us have found that oxidation on the connectors between the gimbals and the motherboard provide funny behavior. If this is the case you can un-plug and re-plug each end of the connector cable 3-5 times each (there are two cables with two ends so a total of 4 connectors) and this will clean them up and the radio will go back to working fine again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
SS,

I will do that. What should I look for on the servo monitor to evaluate what's exactly happening from the Tx perspective?

Each servo has an extension leads for all four surfaces. Should I mark center on the servo then remove the servo from the surface then remove the extension and plug directly into the rx and see if it returns to the mark?

I will also try a new model.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
Skaluf's Avatar
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
There are a few reports of those servos not centering consistently. Do what the others have suggested, but more than likely you are just finding the servos may not be precise enough for your application.

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:18 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Hi Mike,

Set up a brand new model with no programming whatsoever. Go to the servo monitor screen and move your sticks around to see if they are returning to center correctly.

Several of us have found that oxidation on the connectors between the gimbals and the motherboard provide funny behavior. If this is the case you can un-plug and re-plug each end of the connector cable 3-5 times each (there are two cables with two ends so a total of 4 connectors) and this will clean them up and the radio will go back to working fine again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

- Birger
Thanks, will try that.

Mike
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:26 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
I have owned about 12 or more 5245 hitec servos. Also owned 8 5085, and like 12 5065s. Not one of those center worth a darn on the ground. If you pull fully one direction and let it recenter it will go back to center, then pull thru other direction and let off the stick the servo centers on a different spot. Nothing l have done has fixed this. I tried programming them and everything and nothing works. Now my 7985, 7955, & 7954s all center perfectly.

Now in flight with my 5xxx series hitec servos there not bad. Every now and then l feel them not center perfectly but lm on the sticks so much its not an issue. My 7xxx series are perfect in the air and ground. I like them much better.
Now this was with the following radios: futaba 7c,8fg,10c, and Jr 11x.

Now l would recommend putting a different type of servo on that receiver ( or install that rx in another plane that is working properly) and see if you still have an issue. That way you can see if its the rx or tx. I am willing to bet its the same issue l have had with those servos
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
bdelapen's Avatar
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
SS,

I will do that. What should I look for on the servo monitor to evaluate what's exactly happening from the Tx perspective?

Each servo has an extension leads for all four surfaces. Should I mark center on the servo then remove the servo from the surface then remove the extension and plug directly into the rx and see if it returns to the mark?

I will also try a new model.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
So the servo monitor screen on a fresh program should show all servo positions at 0 (except for throttle which will be at -100 or +100 depending on whether the channel is reversed or not). All servos should travel from -100 to +100 and should center at 0. If the sticks don't center at 0 then look for varying centering (i.e. sometimes one number and sometimes another). If they do vary as you move the sticks or even jump around when you shake the transmitter a little then it is almost certainly oxidation on the connectors, a few un-plugs -> plugs will take care of that. If after you have done that the numbers still don't match up (i.e. 100 / 0 / -100), but they don't jump around any more, then you may have to do a stick calibration.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:58 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I have owned about 12 or more 5245 hitec servos. Also owned 8 5085, and like 12 5065s. Not one of those center worth a darn on the ground. If you pull fully one direction and let it recenter it will go back to center, then pull thru other direction and let off the stick the servo centers on a different spot. Nothing l have done has fixed this. I tried programming them and everything and nothing works. Now my 7985, 7955, & 7954s all center perfectly.

Now in flight with my 5xxx series hitec servos there not bad. Every now and then l feel them not center perfectly but lm on the sticks so much its not an issue. My 7xxx series are perfect in the air and ground. I like them much better.
Now this was with the following radios: futaba 7c,8fg,10c, and Jr 11x.

Now l would recommend putting a different type of servo on that receiver ( or install that rx in another plane that is working properly) and see if you still have an issue. That way you can see if its the rx or tx. I am willing to bet its the same issue l have had with those servos
Yeah, all my other hitecs don't do this HS65s, and HS985s. It is very noticeable in flight as well, not just on the ground. I'll try a different Rx as well just to see what happens along with the other things suggested above. I just bought another set of these for my 58 Edge about 2 months ago - argh! If it does turn out to be those servos I'll sell them all and move to something else.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:20 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Yeah, all my other hitecs don't do this HS65s, and HS985s. It is very noticeable in flight as well, not just on the ground. I'll try a different Rx as well just to see what happens along with the other things suggested above. I just bought another set of these for my 58 Edge about 2 months ago - argh! If it does turn out to be those servos I'll sell them all and move to something else.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike
I had a pair of HS55's that I had to ditch from my MUS ailerons due to horrible problems with them not centering. Replaced with 65MG's and it's been smooth sailing every since.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focus 3 FM question. Also, about that new Futaba 3 ch. . . EFoil Parkflyers 5 Oct 19, 2001 11:59 AM
Wanted New Futaba T6XHS / Complete xios3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 04, 2001 06:16 AM
4- New Futaba S-148 Servos $45 Shipped xios3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 01, 2001 04:49 PM
New futaba 3 channel ss radio! carl schaller Electric Plane Talk 6 Jun 24, 2001 08:21 PM
New Futaba FF9 to replace FF8? John E Electric Plane Talk 5 Jun 10, 2001 05:41 AM