SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:08 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
170 Posts
This upcoming weekend I'll be testing another Rx first to see if I can rule that out... Ordered another $139 R6208SB
Ouch
DesJardins is offline Find More Posts by DesJardins
Last edited by DesJardins; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:30 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
I'm starting to think that you are having an RF (RF deck) issue with your radio.

I can walk more than 100 paces in range check mode with no problems.

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:00 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
I'm starting to think that you are having an RF (RF deck) issue with your radio.

I can walk more than 100 paces in range check mode with no problems.

Doug.
I think you're right Doug...

So I decided instead of wasting time as my range check with the system completely off the quad still can't get me to a 1/4 mile I called in and ordered a new 8FGs, other set is going back.

Of course I will post full results Late tomorrow night if I can get home in time. I Always post the facts regardless of the outcome.

Thanks to those that have sent suggestions & helped trouble shoot!
Good thing is I'm running this range issue through the ringer; posted the 8FG set-up video 1 of 2 on my YouTube channel & part 2 will be up this weekend.
Last edited by DesJardins; Oct 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
The cable that came with RealFlight will plug right into your 8FG no further purchase is required.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
I want to use my 8FG with my Realflight 5.5 Do I just need the Futaba adapter? (other than what came in my Realflight box).

I used my DX7 with my Realflight, I just can't remember how I did it. I thought it went through the Interlink somehow. I want to make sure I have everything I need other than the Futaba adapter.
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
170 Posts
Didn't know there was a Sponsor for Futaba/Hobbico on here, I would have reached out to you Steve with my experience... Helms?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesJardins View Post
Didn't know there was a Sponsor for Futaba/Hobbico on here, I would have reached out to you Steve with my experience... Helms?
We are here all of the time. I'm Steve Kaluf, not Helms. Steve H works directly for Futaba. I work for Hobbico the North American distributor for Futaba.

Steve
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
I want to use my 8FG with my Realflight 5.5 Do I just need the Futaba adapter? (other than what came in my Realflight box).

I used my DX7 with my Realflight, I just can't remember how I did it. I thought it went through the Interlink somehow. I want to make sure I have everything I need other than the Futaba adapter.
RealFlight Sim comes with a Futaba like transmitter that is referred to as an Interlink Controller. It has the Copy Protection electronics that is necessary for the Sim to operate from your computer. You can connect the transmitter you use at the flying field to the Interlink Controller with either the adapter cables that came with the Sim or with additional cables that you can purchase.

JR/Spektrum uses a 1/8" audio connector whereas Futaba uses either a Round or a Square adapter.. A quick call to the RealFlight support should help identify the adapter you need.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf View Post
We are here all of the time. I'm Steve Kaluf, not Helms. Steve H works directly for Futaba. I work for Hobbico the North American distributor for Futaba.

Steve
Good to know, if you have any insight on my 8FG range concerns feel free to send me a message. If not that is ok as I purchased a replacement and am seding my other 8FG back tonight. I'll be testing the next tomorrow.

Thanks Steve
Jon
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesJardins View Post
Good to know, if you have any insight on my 8FG range concerns feel free to send me a message. If not that is ok as I purchased a replacement and am seding my other 8FG back tonight. I'll be testing the next tomorrow.

Thanks Steve
Jon
Jon, very hard to troubleshoot something like this via a forum. Your install looks fine. I've seen a quad fly well over a mile away using an 8FG and the DJI system. This particular one did not have FPV gear in it, only a GoPro on the bottom. All of us fly way further away than you are reporting your range as being. So something is going on, either with your machine, the radio or something else.

Let's see how your receiver and or transmitter checks with service.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
170 Posts
Thanks, I will report back once I get my 2nd 8FG tomorrow (had to pay and order the 2nd myself) as I wasn't willing to wait for the turn time as my decision resulting in a return from where I purchased the first with the range concern noted.

I do wish that Futaba tech would have taken a "flyers approach" to my concern and aware that the range 99% of people are getting vs. me is drastically different, but it was abruptly shunned out as soon as the 1000 feet mark was reached...

Thanks Steve
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Anyone had a trim switch stop working?

I've had my 8FG since Nov 2009. I just noticed that when I push the rudder trim (T4) to the right, nothing happens but pushing left increases the trim. But then I can't go back to the right. On my Blade mCP X, I've accidentally put -15 trim in the rudder and I can't return it to zero. All other trims work fine. Guess I'll have to send it in for service. Does anyone know if the trims are separate and easy to replace devices like the switches or are they intergrated into the motherboard? Thanks.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf View Post
The cable that came with RealFlight will plug right into your 8FG no further purchase is required.

Steve
Thank you.

8FG feels so much better than interlink on RF.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:09 AM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
I've had my 8FG since Nov 2009. I just noticed that when I push the rudder trim (T4) to the right, nothing happens but pushing left increases the trim. But then I can't go back to the right. On my Blade mCP X, I've accidentally put -15 trim in the rudder and I can't return it to zero. All other trims work fine. Guess I'll have to send it in for service. Does anyone know if the trims are separate and easy to replace devices like the switches or are they intergrated into the motherboard? Thanks.
I had the same problem last week. I flooded the trim switch with electronic contact cleaner and worked it a few times, then blew it with compressed air, and it came good again. I had a look inside, and it's not easy to get to the switches.
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:29 AM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
I have the same problem. I have used electronic contact cleaner to but it only works for a wile.
Mine works if I push them down at the same time as i push sideways.
I think it is just poor quality on the micro switches and that they need to be raplaced.
Sad on a otherwize nice TX. This is something that FUTABA should take care of.
I have had my 8FG since 2009 to and I feel like the trim switches are not used that much so they should give up already.
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaffen View Post
I had the same problem last week. I flooded the trim switch with electronic contact cleaner and worked it a few times, then blew it with compressed air, and it came good again. I had a look inside, and it's not easy to get to the switches.
It will not be a funny job soldering new switches in place :-(
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59