HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
No, I meant above if you on the master map the controls of the gimball system to the trainer, the master has full control (CH1-12+13&14) until trainer (CH1-7) is engaged and the cameraman has control over the cam/gimbal only. Loosing the trainer link means the master has/takes full control again.

And that because I thought OFF for any channel in the trainer menu means the slave has never control on that channel, the master keeps the control whatever the trainer switch state is.

But as its probably a complex setup, plus the remapping in the function menu, I think it would be easier to do it once, then copy it over, thus never using the slave for flight control.
Thanks for the help, I am still trying to get basic control in trainer mode, I have the
2 8fgs linked and a green light on the wireless trainer module.
The student 8fg is in 7 ch mode as per teh intstructions
and the master 8fg is in multi mode2

In the trainer menu the master is in 12 ch
I am still not getting basic control of anykind, I want jsut to link them first and then get on to the reampping later.
Any suggestions? I think I have followed the manual I have the trainer mode on switch set and flip it to the on postion and nothing happends.
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
Thanks for the help, I am still trying to get basic control in trainer mode, I have the
2 8fgs linked and a green light on the wireless trainer module.
The student 8fg is in 7 ch mode as per teh intstructions
and the master 8fg is in multi mode2

In the trainer menu the master is in 12 ch
I am still not getting basic control of anykind, I want jsut to link them first and then get on to the reampping later.
Any suggestions? I think I have followed the manual I have the trainer mode on switch set and flip it to the on postion and nothing happends.
Time to post any pic? Have you done the BIND with the slave first? As you wrote, the slave has to be in 7CH mode (FREQUENCY). You probably should set the master to 8CH in TRAINER, regardless of its FREQUENCY. After the BIND procedure - have you moved the wireless dongle to the master and activated a TRAINER switch (H default, spring loaded)?. Have you then changed the TRAINER channels 1-7 (on the master) from OFF to eg. NORM. With some basic model on both you should be able to see channel movements on the MASTERs servo screen when toggling H to the slave. If not you have missed something...
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
Time to post any pic? Have you done the BIND with the slave first? As you wrote, the slave has to be in 7CH mode (FREQUENCY). You probably should set the master to 8CH in TRAINER, regardless of its FREQUENCY. After the BIND procedure - have you moved the wireless dongle to the master and activated a TRAINER switch (H default, spring loaded)?. Have you then changed the TRAINER channels 1-7 (on the master) from OFF to eg. NORM. With some basic model on both you should be able to see channel movements on the MASTERs servo screen when toggling H to the slave. If not you have missed something...
Ok Thanks I have got it working, a little bit of luck and stupidity on my part. Have got things going exactly the way I hoped have mapped the gimbal on the 2nd 8fg. Still have all the main flight functions on the master, and no worries about disconnects everything will default to the master.
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,335 Posts
If any of you are sailplane pilots flying full house sailplanes you might want to cast a vote on this survay in the sailplane forum.

I put a poll up about Radio brands and RF systems.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732320
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,656 Posts
Hmmm, something weird just happened.
Tx appeared to be flat. I gave it about 160mah to charge it. I took the CY to fly. Tx said 7.8v.
Then I was on the 2nd pack, when suddenly noticed aileron had stopped working. I then tried to throttle back as I was hooning on full power and CY was still rolling. Nothing. Luckily it was dropped fairly quickly and went in.
Then I noticed the prop was still running. Full power. I ran over, it was quite a way. Before I got there it stopped, the red wire had melted off the ESC!
Holy cow. I thought these things were
A) supposed to beep if tx was at critical, not shut off.
B) failsafe with the motor off.
I have an 8FG and an FR sky micro 4ch RX.
!!!!
Suspect I may need a new motor and esc now. CY was undamaged!

My main worry is with A) shouldn't i get a warning?
Does it sound like tx batt is kaput?
Or am at fault for not giving a full charge?
I'll do a diagnosis on the tx after iced charged it on 160mah trickle for the 12 hrs.
Thanks.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Last edited by jimbo320; Sep 15, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:18 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,299 Posts
Looks like an ESC burn out. And if was a built in bec you got burn esc and bec. Failsafe is activated on signal lost not esc lost.

Hey guys im looking to trade one of my R6106HF 6ch for any FrSky 8ch i need more channel for my fpv quad project. Any1 for a trade?
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Have you seen my Cobra?
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,567 Posts
Jimbo, there's a potential issue that was introduced with FW3.0 which, according to the instructions allows you to disable all the crazy timer beeps and the low battery warning all in one fell swoop. I have not confirmed this.

As for failsafe, back in the days of analog radios failsafe was built-in to the ESC and required no setup from you. Unfortunately, digital radios inherently eliminate that function so you need to set it up yourself and it now must be handled by the RX, not the ESC.

As for the battery, Nimh are very fragile. One wrong charge and they're dead. Maybe you charged it a little too fast one time or let it die in storage for too long or forgot to tell it that you love it?
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:29 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,656 Posts
I don't think so as the cause of the failure was loss if radio, as the tx shut clean off.
Esc burn out prolly occurred as a result of a stationary prop on full power.
Why did 8fg not give me a warning beep power was low. I'd been flying about 8 mins.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:52 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,656 Posts
How difficult would it be to set the initial failsafe to off? Instead of on? Or am Iissing something? Loss of TX is throttle off.
I suppose I would need to determine which channel is the throttle on the rx. In my case standard throttle ch3, would of saved motor/esc.
So the batt can go from 7.8 to zero in about 8 mins and drop off a cliff.. Glad is was my epp foamy and not my 5m glider.. But then I suppose I'd of charged it fully before flying. Doh.
Where is the batt disable? I need to check that. How long should 160mah charge last on the 8fg?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
Have you seen my Cobra?
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,567 Posts
With Futaba RX, you do the F/S setup in the TX. Other RX are likely different. Alarm disable is in the system menu or something, starting with 3.0. 160mAh should last 45 minutes but the charger does not give an accurate capacity estimate for Ni batteries, especially faulty ones.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:57 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,656 Posts
Thanks Vespa, i take it you mean the
System - Warning - On/Off
System - Other Sounds - On/Off

Yes indeed, my System Warning was indeed set to off. Perhaps i turned it off, when i was setting up, i cant recall, im sure it must be set on by default.
That would explain how i managed to flatten the battery the first time, i would of turned it off if it would of started beeping.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:42 AM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Am I the only one concerned that we can now disable the low battery warning? According to the pdf disabling "other" warnings will disable the low battery warning.
You are not alone in this. As I wrote in my Supplementary Notes, "Turning off Warnings will disable the sounds of mixer warnings, the alarm when the transmitter has been inactive for 30 minutes and also the LOW BATTERY ALARM. This final item appears to be a recipe for disaster."

On this occasion the only damage appears to be to someone's wallet but the consequences could have been much greater. Futaba could argue that the user made a conscious decision to turn off the low battery alarm. It is more likely that he simply did not realise the full ramifications of turning off Warnings. Personally I find it difficult to think of any circumstances in which I would want to disable the low battery alarm and wonder why this feature was added. Another one for your list of suggestions, Vespa?.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, FL, Hallandale Beach
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Hi, Im new to this discusion. Had never before a problem with my 8FG that I have already for more than a year. But Yesterday I had some problems with My Radio and would like to know if someone els had the same issue or it is just a problem with my particular radio.I was at the club and flew my Glider one time, everything went perfect. after a couple of minuets I was preparing my PZ P-47 and noticed that the retracts warend working and checked for troubles on the plane and than on the radio and noticed that the hole programing for this Plane and my glider were completly gone adn had parameters that I never imputed in to the radio.Hi and low rates were gone and the throtle on my glider was asigned to a switch . Had anyone here a simmilar experience???
btpalc is offline Find More Posts by btpalc
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Even a Futaba sometimes needs service...
But such memory loss can occur in normal (abnormal) usage due to how the model data is stored and retreived; there is eg a warning in the manual not to power off too soon after programming, I found that also goes for model change. And weak batteries also can cause memory problems; eg. the Tx wont save any settings after low voltage has been triggered.
And yes, Ive succeeded in something like that, probably after switching model and some clubmate came over at the moment and I turned off the Tx to check whatever issue he had and, well, had to clear the program and redo it again. (There is no native model reset but I use to change MODEL TYPE from eg. acro to heli and the back to acro again and the settings are gone/reset)
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, FL, Hallandale Beach
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Thank you numnut, I heard something like this befor about Futaba radios but I guess I did not believe it would happen to my Radio.Well, now I know that I have to be more carefull when I switch my TX off and switch planes.I was scared that my TX was somehow not working properly or was damaged, but the more I think about wat I did yesterday i come to the conclucion that it was me turning off the TX to fast after switching from one model to the other.
btpalc is offline Find More Posts by btpalc