HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
61 Posts
So I'm hoping someone is familiar with the inner wiring of the 8FG...

I'm currently run a DragonLink on my 8FG using the trainer port. I'm thinking about adding some headtracking to my FPV setup which also requires use of the trainer port.

If the 8FG was a module Tx, this would be easy, but since it's not, I'm hoping someone can help me track down the internal equivalent of module connection pins that I can directly connect the DragonLink too and then use the trainer port for head tracking... (similar to the image below which is NOT an 8FG.) The 8FG has nothing as obvious as the module pins, but there must be some place I can splice into the same connection?

Thanks!

sl4ppy is offline Find More Posts by sl4ppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:36 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post

I'm currently run a DragonLink on my 8FG using the trainer port. I'm thinking about adding some headtracking to my FPV setup which also requires use of the trainer port.

If the 8FG was a module Tx, this would be easy, but since it's not, I'm hoping someone can help me track down the internal equivalent of module connection pins that I can directly connect the DragonLink too and then use the trainer port for head tracking... (similar to the image below which is NOT an 8FG.) The 8FG has nothing as obvious as the module pins, but there must be some place I can splice into the same connection?

Thanks!
There is no module equivalent; you have to pick the required signals from the main PCB or the trainer port.
As the Dragon link depends on the PPM (CPPM in the trainer port) signal I assume the head tracking does too?
Since you have to ask I also assume you have some limits in knowledge on electronics and advice not to tamper with the Tx or its internals.
The PPM is available at the trainer port, Ive hacked some futabas by soldering module(s) to the PCB side of the port. Pin 3 carry the PPM, Pin 4 is Vcc, Pin 5 is Venc (power only when Tx is on, or turns into slave mode if powered externally) and pin2 is gnd. You probably could split the existing cable too, like an Y-cable, but that would also require some considerations. I have no info on eg. the trainer port current limit/capability.
A better approach might be using any of those CPPM capable receivers (eg FrSky TFR4) and use it with either the dragonlink or the tracker you choose. You can have as many RXes as you like linked simultaneously. The con is they only cope with 8CH so you might have to reallocate some (Function menu), and replace the Rx on your aircraft.
... or wait until anybody provides a better solution...
numnutchris is online now Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
Hi I have a question I am trying to link 2 f8fgs together in trainer mode using the 7 channel wireless adapter, I have them linked everything seems ok, but I am somewhat lost from there, I have followed the manual, but am not getting any luck in getting the trainer to control the model.
I have it set in 7 ch mode as per the wireless instructions, and have the intsructor in 8ch mode. I want to remap some of the controls.
how do I get this to work. Thanks for any help

FB
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
Hi I have a question I am trying to link 2 f8fgs together in trainer mode using the 7 channel wireless adapter, I have them linked everything seems ok, but I am somewhat lost from there, I have followed the manual, but am not getting any luck in getting the trainer to control the model.
I have it set in 7 ch mode as per the wireless instructions, and have the intsructor in 8ch mode. I want to remap some of the controls.

FB
I use the wireless trainer system with my 8FG and a Futaba 6EX at the student level. I found it the most easiest training solution. Please specify which area of the setup is giving you trouble?

I have even flown my big gassers (many channels) with my friends on the buddy box with me using the same setup and it is really very easy to setup.

I am training my 10 and 8 year old daughters on the same setup. Started with giving them aileron and elevator and now they are taking control of throttle and rudder.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,239 Posts
Is wireless trainer linked to the correct Tx? Not trying to insult you but this is easy to mess up with two similar radios.

I'm using an 8FG as the instructor Tx & a 7C for the student Tx. Works great.

Doug B.
dougbo is offline Find More Posts by dougbo
Last edited by dougbo; Sep 13, 2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: edit
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:

FB
Ive only tried the futaba wless system with 14MZ and 10CG, but assuming you have linked and hooked it upp ok, then on the master use SYS-TRAINER and set up the channels you want to use, NORM, MIX or FUNC. NORM means the slave controls the channel (when allowed by the teacher), might mess these up but if I recall right MIX mixes the master and slave inputs and FUNC makes the slave kind of a joystick, mixing etc. is calculated by the master.
But as mentioned you might have to describe what/why you need FUNCTION remapping. Probably youll end up using the same FUNCTION setup, trims etc. on both and use NORM or an empty model memory on the slave using FUNC.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
Well what I am trying to do is a little off the usual I guess. I have a hexcopter with a 14 channel rx with the first 6 channels used for flight control and the next 7 used for gimbal control.
What I want to do is map the 7 gimbal controls to a second 8fg using the trainer mode. Does that make sense, as I want the gimbal to be operated by a second operator. I would think this should be straight forward to do, but so fat no luck.
thanks
FB
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,561 Posts
Quote:
Well what I am trying to do is a little off the usual I guess. I have a hexcopter with a 14 channel rx with the first 6 channels used for flight control and the next 7 used for gimbal control.
What I want to do is map the 7 gimbal controls to a second 8fg using the trainer mode. Does that make sense, as I want the gimbal to be operated by a second operator. I would think this should be straight forward to do, but so fat no luck.
thanks
FB
Why not two receivers? That would seem the simplest solution.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Why not two receivers? That would seem the simplest solution.

- Birger
I could but I want the option of single operator with all 13 channels. I didn't want to rebind each time, this seemed simpler... (seemed)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:20 PM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,561 Posts
Quote:
I could but I want the option of single operator with all 13 channels. I didn't want to rebind each time, this seemed simpler... (seemed)
You don't necessarily need to re-bind with Futaba, there is no model-match. What you can do is have two different programs, the "Pilot Only" program and the "Whole Enchilada" program. Granted, you would have to move some of the servo leads but if you have a 14ch and an 8ch receiver on the hex you wouldn't have to remove the receivers. Also, if you went with an s-bus encoder for the first 8 channels then you wouldn't have to change more than one plug as long as both receivers were s-bus compatible (and you could use the smaller 3 channel receivers as well).

I'm not saying that what you want can't be done, it may be possible but it would take some pretty serious programming. Assuming that the student is going to control the gimbal functions and they are mapped to channels Aux1 - Aux6 your trainer setup would look something like this:

1 AIL OFF
etc.
8 AUX1 MIX 100% CH1
etc.

The MIX value assumes that you want override control by the master radio over the movement of the slave radio, if you want direct control by the slave radio but you want to preserve the master settings and mixes you wold use FUNC instead.

Also, you would have to change the trainer switch to a non spring loaded one if you don't want to be holding it throughout the whole flight.

Finally, I would test the whole setup using a regular trainer cord, this way you take one variable out of the equation, switch to the wireless setup after everything else is working.

I don't remember if you mentioned if your slave radio was also an 8FG but if it isn't you may not have the programmability to map the functions to the same controls on both radios.

Hope this helps,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:19 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,481 Posts
Airbiscuit, You don't need any mixing or anything to do this. The 8FG allows any channel to be assigned to anything, though CH13/14 are very limited and digital only. Either use a 8CH RX with s.bus to the autopilot and channels 1-whatever for the gimbal, or use a 14CH RX, or use a HobbyKing RX that can be configured for high channel numbers.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:50 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
thanks
FB
If you want to proceed with the wless idea, I think Id probably would have set up the thing with the master completely.
Then copy the program to the slave (by SD card), re-link and check. Finally re-link to master and map out the camera/gimball operators CHs as NORM for the slave, the remaining CHs as OFF should keep the master in control of the flight.

Remember the CH13-14 are on/off types, moving between endpoints only.
And agree on the suggestion- use 2 RXes as its only one pushbutton to relink the lower CHs between gimball or flight command/Tx.
BTW its great, Ive used it on a fixed wing with motors, flaps, aileons etc. and the rest/other CHs in the fuselage/Rx - no cables to connect in wing joint, only the bolts.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:06 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,145 Posts
Why you just dont use 2 rx's. Get a FrSky 7ch for $23 in bind to a second TX.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
If you want to proceed with the wless idea, I think Id probably would have set up the thing with the master completely.
Then copy the program to the slave (by SD card), re-link and check. Finally re-link to master and map out the camera/gimball operators CHs as NORM for the slave, the remaining CHs as OFF should keep the master in control of the flight.

Remember the CH13-14 are on/off types, moving between endpoints only.
And agree on the suggestion- use 2 RXes as its only one pushbutton to relink the lower CHs between gimball or flight command/Tx.
BTW its great, Ive used it on a fixed wing with motors, flaps, aileons etc. and the rest/other CHs in the fuselage/Rx - no cables to connect in wing joint, only the bolts.
Remember that trainer system only supports Channels 1-8* in the slave using a trainer cord and that the wireless buddy box version only supports Channels 1-7 so this is why you can't just copy the program and enable the gimball controls in the trainer screen. If you choose the opposite setup (have the lower channels control the gimball) I would be scared that if the trainer system, trainer cord or wireless trainer system fails or gets turned off by accident that the gimball operator gets stuck with the craft control.

Regards,

- Birger

*Note: According to the manual the 8FG does support 12 channel (not 14 channel) trainer programming using the trainer cable only if the slave radio is a 18MZ, 14MZ, 12Z, 12FG & FX40. It may also support another 8FG but if so it is not listed, you would have to use run your own tests.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Remember that trainer system only supports Channels 1-8* in the slave using a trainer cord and that the wireless buddy box version only supports Channels 1-7 so this is why you can't just copy the program and enable the gimball controls in the trainer screen. If you choose the opposite setup (have the lower channels control the gimball) I would be scared that if the trainer system, trainer cord or wireless trainer system fails or gets turned off by accident that the gimball operator gets stuck with the craft control.

Regards,

- Birger

*Note: According to the manual the 8FG does support 12 channel (not 14 channel) trainer programming using the trainer cable only if the slave radio is a 18MZ, 14MZ, 12Z, 12FG & FX40. It may also support another 8FG but if so it is not listed, you would have to use run your own tests.
No, I meant above if you on the master map the controls of the gimball system to the trainer, the master has full control (CH1-12+13&14) until trainer (CH1-7) is engaged and the cameraman has control over the cam/gimbal only. Loosing the trainer link means the master has/takes full control again.

And that because I thought OFF for any channel in the trainer menu means the slave has never control on that channel, the master keeps the control whatever the trainer switch state is.

But as its probably a complex setup, plus the remapping in the function menu, I think it would be easier to do it once, then copy it over, thus never using the slave for flight control.