Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:07 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Many thanks for the calibration instructions Malcolm, that's great!

Has anyone heard of this happening before? It's very concerning! I have a gas turbine helicopter too and if this had happened when I was flying that, it would've been absolutely disasterious!
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,484 Posts
You have a hardware problem Ian. Your J1 pot either came loose from its mount or had some sort of weird partial electrical failure. Take a look and send it in if needed.
Pot is white or blue and pic below is shows the J4 pot at bottom left, J1 is the same but opposite:

vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:52 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,563 Posts
Assuming that the problem is not software and can't be fixed with calibration I will share a little experience that I had.

If you read back in the thread I had some issues with very erratic behavior on my RHS gimbal (centering continuously changing, particularly when I bumped the transmitter). I thought I had tried everything to correct it and was getting ready to send it back to Futaba to have it looked at . I had gone to the point of disassembly and cleaning of the whole gimbal sensor components, including the opening up of the pots, as well as checking the mounting of the sensors to ensure that they were not moving on me and nothing. I had never noticed that the cord that connects the gimbal assembly to the main radio board has plugs on both sides (at least on mine it does, it's one of the original 8FG radios), I thought it only had a plug at the gimbal side and was soldered to the main board. For me it turned out that I un-plugged the main board end of the cord and cleaned out those connectors and she has been rock solid ever since.

The point is that when I asked no one had seen that particular problem and with a through looking over I was able to find the problem. Now if you feel OK doing that then try to troubleshoot it yourself, if you don't then your best bet is to send it to someone that knows what they are doing.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:26 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
For me it turned out that I un-plugged the main board end of the cord and cleaned out those connectors and she has been rock solid ever since.
Good point. This is a standard troubleshooting technique for any 'spooky' type computer problem. Modern Txs are highly computer based.

Actively 'cleaning' connectors is not the actual technique though. Connectors are designed such that plugging them in 'wipes' one flat piece of metal against another flat piece of metal. That removes surface oxidation, kinda pushing it off to the side, and leaves the preferred (required) -clean- bare metal-to-metal connection.

That is not to say that cleaning will hurt, but it is not necessary. I've had PCs that lasted for many years, and when they'd get a little wonky for no apparent reason with no specific repeatable problem, I'd simply unplug and replug every connector in the box. That'd be cards, cables, memory boards, every connector that could have potential oxidation interfering between metal parts.

For the not-faint-of-heart with more-than-trivial electromechanical skills a good preventative maintenance thing to do is to disassemble and then reassemble everything in the Tx. If done right it can't hurt anything, and *could* fix a potential oxidation problem *before* it happens, the first sign of which might be as OP mentioned, a catastrophic in flight loss of control.

Or for the technically-uninclined send it back to Futaba once a year and say gimme a tune up, change the oil and check the tire pressure. I don't know if that's what they actually -do-, but unplug/replug every possible connector ought to be a standard tune up service item.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:54 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
Me too!

Again, I must stress the plane launched fine and then about 2 minutes in, the aileron stick lost its calibration. I had no idea what was going on. I thought my FY-30A stabilisation unit had messed up, so I turned that off, but no.

It was literally only 30 minutes ago when I was trying to set up a new plane on my 8FG, did I realise the aileron stick had lost its calibration, which explains the roll in the video below (please mute your audio, that's telemetry data).
---
And if its not HW related, you might have accidentally rested on the dial jog... if youre not already using the keylock... Ive had some interesting moves until I began to always check the key icon was there, and with later SWs, the timer/autolock solved that by itself...
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Thanks for the input guys - it's really appreciate! Below is a video I've just take and below that, a photo of the gimbal. Look at channel 1.

It 'appears' to be a noisy pot, but I'm not sure if simple contact cleaner will resolve it, I guess it might? It's not something you want to only be able to say "Yeh, I 'think' it's fixed" though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snO9204PNbU

Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:58 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,484 Posts
No, something's broken, pots shouldn't do that unless they are very old/dirty/worn. Might just be a simple solder joint or connector. Put a bench servo on CH1 and watch it while you poke around inside the TX. Note that touching the pot terminals with your bare hands might give a false impression.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:59 PM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys - it's really appreciate! Below is a video I've just take and below that, a photo of the gimbal. Look at channel 1.

It 'appears' to be a noisy pot, but I'm not sure if simple contact cleaner will resolve it, I guess it might? It's not something you want to only be able to say "Yeh, I 'think' it's fixed" though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snO9204PNbU

Looks very similar to my problem. Cleaning the pots may definitely help, I'm not saying that's not the issue. What fixed mine however was disconnecting that yellow/orange/brown/red wire and re-connecting it a few times. I would try that too, un-plug and re-plug a few times for the connectors to clean themselves, remember to do both ends of the wire.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:54 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Thanks vespa, thanks Birger. I'll follow your suggestions, do some more testing and report back.

There is no way however I can trust this radio until I'm 100% convinced the issue has been resolved. It's very concerning.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:17 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
What do you guys think about this issue?

8FG calibration issue ver 4.1 (1 min 18 sec)

Once I re-calibrate.. it goes fine.. but after I turn if off and on again, the same issue comes back..

I have not tried deconnecting and reconnecting all connectors as of yet. Will try to once I am home later.

I am planning to sell mine for RM600 = USD192, including shipping. Maybe retiring from RC..
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for asking possibly an obvious question, but does anyone know how to calibrate the sticks on the 8FG?

I have the latest V5.0 firmware and can find the menu option, but other than moving the square around with the sticks, I can't actually see how you calibrate it. It doesn't appear to be documented anywhere either?

For some strange reason my went out of calibration MID-FLIGHT, causing me to crash and write-off a plane

To calibrate, move the indicator to highlight J1-J2 (or the other one) and press RTN. It will prompt you to center stick then press RTN, then move to lower right and upper left. That's calibration done.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:23 PM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neato4u View Post
What do you guys think about this issue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUjoFMsTQ2E

Once I re-calibrate.. it goes fine.. but after I turn if off and on again, the same issue comes back..

I have not tried deconnecting and reconnecting all connectors as of yet. Will try to once I am home later.

I am planning to sell mine for RM600 = USD192, including shipping. Maybe retiring from RC..
Two things. Did you try the test with a completely new program? Did you try running the calibration as per the document shared by Malcolm above?

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:25 PM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,563 Posts
Sorry, I see you did try the calibration.

Hmm.... maybe it has to do saving the data as opposed to the actual hardware.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:26 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,484 Posts
Neato, that video doesn't show any problems. You didn't state your concern but I'm assuming it's the reduced travel? For all we know you could have your rates and mixing setup like that. Show a video of the power cycle issue and/or the behavior with a newly created model.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:57 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Sorry, I see you did try the calibration.

Hmm.... maybe it has to do saving the data as opposed to the actual hardware.

- Birger
Yep I did calibrate.. but when I turn it off.. it just 'forgets' again..
When I shake the unit after calibration, I can see some travel from center.. I will show some video later when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
Neato, that video doesn't show any problems. You didn't state your concern but I'm assuming it's the reduced travel? For all we know you could have your rates and mixing setup like that. Show a video of the power cycle issue and/or the behavior with a newly created model.
Nah I don't have any rates and mixing when I tried this. I will post another clear video of it when I get back home. The thing is.. power cycle issue only happens when I leave the unit like 30 minutes or so.. it does not happen if I turn if off for like 2 3 minutes and turn it back on again..

I never have any flight failures or crash because of this yet.. but then, I am selling off all of my RC stuffs at the moment - possibly retiring.. so, while waiting for this one to go away I thought of asking around if someone knew of a solution.. not that I will sell it off at a higher price, but so the buyer will be a happy customer!