HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
bdelapen's Avatar
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosfe2000 View Post
Thanks everyone for replying.

Grummingoose, that's good news! I don't know what's the alarm value at this moment in my radio. I don't have the radio with me. If I don't change it, what can happen?
How many flights aproximately can you do with this battery befare charging it again?

Thanks again for your help!
I appreciate it!

Fede
I re-charge my 2600mAh 2S LiPo once very 2-3 months. I probably average about 8-10 flights 3 out of 4 weekends each month plus maybe 3-6 hours of sim time a month. What I do is carry two batteries, one fully charged and one in the radio so when one runs down I swap it out and re-charge it with my next charge cycle.

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
I re-charge my 2600mAh 2S LiPo once very 2-3 months. I probably average about 8-10 flights 3 out of 4 weekends each month plus maybe 3-6 hours of sim time a month. What I do is carry two batteries, one fully charged and one in the radio so when one runs down I swap it out and re-charge it with my next charge cycle.

- Birger
Ohh cool! That's awesome!!
Is this the battery you are using?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14077
Nosfe2000 is offline Find More Posts by Nosfe2000
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
bdelapen's Avatar
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosfe2000 View Post
Ohh cool! That's awesome!!
Is this the battery you are using?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14077
Nope, this is the one I'm using:

http://www.rcaccessory.com/pe2600tx-2s.aspx

You should get roughly the same from the LiFe assuming it is true to rated capacity. In reality you will get a little less (on paper about 15% less) as the voltage of the LiFe is lower than that of the LiPo and battery pack capacity is measured in Watt Hours, not Amp Hours.

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Nope, this is the one I'm using:

http://www.rcaccessory.com/pe2600tx-2s.aspx

You should get roughly the same from the LiFe assuming it is true to rated capacity. In reality you will get a little less (on paper about 15% less) as the voltage of the LiFe is lower than that of the LiPo and battery pack capacity is measured in Watt Hours, not Amp Hours.

- Birger
Thanks Birger! Even 15% less, it's still a good amount of time using the radio without having to charge the battery.
I think I'll buy it. I have bought in HK other times and had no problems with the shipping. Shipping to Argentina is sometimes a pain in the neck, that's why I feel like keep on buying where I know I may get the product. (it's something about Arg Government and customs. It's not that I don't trust the other shops)
Nosfe2000 is offline Find More Posts by Nosfe2000
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm #4 on Lindsay's list!
vespa's Avatar
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,372 Posts
8FG current consumption is 195mA regardless of voltage due to the linear regulator. Thus a 2500mAh pack will last 12.8 hours regardless of chemistry (2.5Ah / 0.195A = 12.8h).
LiFe is safe, reliable and can be charged very fast, but it's heavier than Lipo and doesn't have any voltage feedback to inform you of the state of charge (always reads 6.4V whether hot off the charger or nearly dead).
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
8FG current consumption is 195mA regardless of voltage due to the linear regulator. Thus a 2500mAh pack will last 12.8 hours regardless of chemistry (2.5Ah / 0.195A = 12.8h).
LiFe is safe, reliable and can be charged very fast, but it's heavier than Lipo and doesn't have any voltage feedback to inform you of the state of charge (always reads 6.4V whether hot off the charger or nearly dead).
Thanks Vespa. That's something I didn't know. So it's kinda risky to use it? Or what would you recommend? How do you know how many hours left of battery you have?
Nosfe2000 is offline Find More Posts by Nosfe2000
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
I'm #4 on Lindsay's list!
vespa's Avatar
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,372 Posts
Nos, the "pros" are obvious, choose your cons:
- Lipo has the usual fire risk when charging and a short life-span.
- LiFe has increased cost/weight/size and no way to determine state of charge.
- NimH is very heavy, slow to charge and fast to self-discharge.

I use a 1250mAh Lipo and a block of epp. I usually do a simple .5C charge thru the round plug but I'll open the cover to do a balance charge if I want it faster.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
16,996 Posts
That’s Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
Anyone know how to do this using the R6208SB?? Would love to do this, I want to run channels 1-8 (non-sbus) for a gimbal and channels 9-14 (sbus) for my copter.
You use the FUNCTION menu. You can assign any function to any channel number. Just reassign the functions and numbers to you requirements.

.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Nos, the "pros" are obvious, choose your cons:
- Lipo has the usual fire risk when charging and a short life-span.
- LiFe has increased cost/weight/size and no way to determine state of charge.
- NimH is very heavy, slow to charge and fast to self-discharge.

I use a 1250mAh Lipo and a block of epp. I usually do a simple .5C charge thru the round plug but I'll open the cover to do a balance charge if I want it faster.
I get it!

So what Battery would you recommend from HK for the Futaba 8FG?
Nosfe2000 is offline Find More Posts by Nosfe2000
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
Registered User
grummingoose's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Slyne
Joined Jul 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosfe2000 View Post
Thanks everyone for replying.

Grummingoose, that's good news! I don't know what's the alarm value at this moment in my radio. I don't have the radio with me. If I don't change it, what can happen?
How many flights aproximately can you do with this battery befare charging it again?

Thanks again for your help!
I appreciate it!

Fede
I have never counted the number of flights between charges but reset the timer after a charge and recharge after around six hours.
The stock battery (nimh) is more than adequate for probably three outings before it could do with a charge. I like the LiFe or LiPo as it does not lose charge when outings are delayed by weeks sometimes due to weather etc.
With the LiFe I can go and fly at a moments notice without having to worry about charging.
grummingoose is offline Find More Posts by grummingoose
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Are you running any kind of stabilization or FBL system? If not all you need is to get s-bus servos, program them for whatever channel you want and plug them in to an s-bus extension. Alternately just get an s-bus decoder and use regular servos. You may still need need to get the decoder for use with the gyro or stab/FBL unless it is also S-Bus compatible and with re-assignable channels.

On a totally personal curiosity note, how are you using 8 channels with your gimbal? Maybe I'm not thinking out of the box enough

- Birger
Sorry, I should elaborate. I'm using the WKM on a S800 Hexacopter.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:34 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
You use the FUNCTION menu. You can assign any function to any channel number. Just reassign the functions and numbers to you requirements.

.
I'm using a WKM controller on a S800 multirotor. The WKM is S-bus compatible but the gimbal is not. Would love to plug the gimbal into the 1-8 ports than use the 9-14 on S-bus, is it possible?
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm #4 on Lindsay's list!
vespa's Avatar
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,372 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what s.bus does.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:18 AM
3d Kiwi
uptime4downtime's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
On the stock batt, I generally can get between 3-4 outings before charging, having said that, I usually charge around 3, just so I don't get the dreaded beeping at the field. I've only run out once, and that was a long time ago. My batt hovers around 7.3-7.6 volts for quite some. I usually charge it when it gets around 7v. I'm not going to change in a hurry, I did leave it on once, and flatten it, that would be a dead lipo. It does beep when left on after a certain amount of time without use...quite a good feature
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learning Turnarounds
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:38 AM
Registered User
pilotpete2's Avatar
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,084 Posts
The 8FG will shut itself down when the battery voltage drops to 5.5V according to the manual. I've never tried it and don't intend to try it intentionally.
I use the 2500mAh lipo from these folks.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...s-tx-pack.html
At 1/3rd the cost of a replacement Nimh, I won't worry about running it flat.
Remember that a lipo that has been run to empty slowly is a totally safe lipo, just dump it in the trash. None of the lipos that I've had stuck in trees for weeks at a time while hooked to the ESC have ever puffed, you just write them off.
The 2500mAh lipo is good for up to 10 hours, I usually recharge around the 8 hour mark, usually at the field during lunch or coffee break.
Yup, the stock Nimh works well also, I keep it as a backup in case i do ever flatten the lipo.
At this point the only Nixx cell I'm actually using is my glow plug lighter. My gas and glow powered models are all running A123 packs for the radio system.
The times, they are a changin
Pete
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focus 3 FM question. Also, about that new Futaba 3 ch. . . EFoil Parkflyers 5 Oct 19, 2001 11:59 AM
Wanted New Futaba T6XHS / Complete xios3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 04, 2001 06:16 AM
4- New Futaba S-148 Servos $45 Shipped xios3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 01, 2001 04:49 PM
New futaba 3 channel ss radio! carl schaller Electric Plane Talk 6 Jun 24, 2001 08:21 PM
New Futaba FF9 to replace FF8? John E Electric Plane Talk 5 Jun 10, 2001 05:41 AM