HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Question regarding setting up a timer...

With respect to motor cut/kill switch setup, is there a way to assign timer so it does not start regardless of throttle stick position when the kill switch is on?

I can't figure out if there is a logic switch setup to do this?
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
With the newer firmware update, when you set the function into Motor it will ask you if you whether that Ch will reversed or normal. It's only for Airplane and not yet available for Helis.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,481 Posts
Yes you can use the hardware reverse, it is a powerful new feature. Unfortunately it makes the heli pitch curves upside down and though they continue to work fine, they are confusing to use. And now with FW5.0 the "motor" channel defaults to REV so you'd have to un-reverse it.

It does seem that Futaba is finally getting the hint though and hopefully the 18MZ will be the last model to come off the line with a backwards throttle.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,145 Posts
I do try to reverse stick function instead of the servo reverse. The down side was the alarm goes on with stick down so you need tu turned off and for me the trotle alarm is a most have. Ho knows what other thing.may affect. Inmediatly i switch to normal again.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:12 AM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
Question regarding setting up a timer...

With respect to motor cut/kill switch setup, is there a way to assign timer so it does not start regardless of throttle stick position when the kill switch is on?

I can't figure out if there is a logic switch setup to do this?
I am pretty sure that you cannot use logic switches in this situation.

One option is to assign as the timer reset switch the same switch you are using for motor kill. This will not stop the timer running if the throttle stick is advanced but it will reset the timer to zero when your motor goes live. I know it's not quite what you are asking for but it may help.

Personally I use the momentary SH switch as a timer reset. This allows me to do all my engine checks and then easily reset the timer immediately before take-off. It all depends on what you are using the timer to measure.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:14 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,145 Posts
Remember you 2 timer option plus model timer
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Thanks. I am using timer to measure lipo usage. Meaning... when to land. I normal don't have this conflict. Just in some cases, I would need to kill switch, but I bump throttle and the timer is running. I loose track how much more time I have left in a the pack. Annoying that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
I am pretty sure that you cannot use logic switches in this situation.

One option is to assign as the timer reset switch the same switch you are using for motor kill. This will not stop the timer running if the throttle stick is advanced but it will reset the timer to zero when your motor goes live. I know it's not quite what you are asking for but it may help.

Personally I use the momentary SH switch as a timer reset. This allows me to do all my engine checks and then easily reset the timer immediately before take-off. It all depends on what you are using the timer to measure.
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
Thanks. I am using timer to measure lipo usage. Meaning... when to land. I normal don't have this conflict. Just in some cases, I would need to kill switch, but I bump throttle and the timer is running. I loose track how much more time I have left in a the pack. Annoying that's all.
@jseeker: In the past I had the same problem.

So, what I did was to use SF to activate my timer while SH to reset my timer. At the same time, I use SF for my motor kill switch for my electric planes and as my Throttle Hold switch for my electric Helis.

Therefore, once SF is ON, the timer and motor are OFF; once SF is OFF, the timer and motor are ON.

It made everything simpler for me.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
Maine
Joined Nov 2007
210 Posts
Antenna installation

My R6106HFC Rx came with an sheet called "Tips on installing and using 2.4ghz Fast receivers". It recommends that you not "secure the antenna directly by the end of the coax lead so that the bare antenna could vibrate and possibly fail. It advises that you secure the coax 1 or 2 cm from the end of the coax so that so that the final part is free to flex." An alternative is to secure the antenna in a "snake sleeve" and shows a diagram of the bare antenna inside a clear tube secured 1 or 2 cm back on the coax. This was new news to me since the 8GF manual didn't mention where the coax/antennas should or should not be supported - only talking about keeping the antennas far apart as possible and 90 deg to one another.

Question: is the "snake sleeve" the 1/8" OD clear plastic tube hobby shops sell as antenna tubing?

For ease of moving a Rx from one plane to another, I have two formed antenna tubes installed in each plane that automatically routes the coax to desired shapes so the bare antennas end up 90 deg to one another. But the antenna tubes end where the coax ends so the bare antennas are unsupported. The last thing I want is to lose range because the antennas are inside tubing...

Question: Should I add another section of antenna tubing to each end so that the bare antennas are now supported (but inside tubing)?

Thanks,
Tony

Sorry about the long rant...
aircat10 is offline Find More Posts by aircat10
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:18 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,481 Posts
It doesn't matter if the antennas are in tubes, out of tubes, or what kind of tubes. Just don't have anything starting/ending right where the antenna changes diameter as it may cause a kink-fracture right at the most fragile spot.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
Maine
Joined Nov 2007
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
It doesn't matter if the antennas are in tubes, out of tubes, or what kind of tubes. Just don't have anything starting/ending right where the antenna changes diameter as it may cause a kink-fracture right at the most fragile spot.
Thanks Vespa. That sums it up nicely.

Tony
aircat10 is offline Find More Posts by aircat10
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,815 Posts
Quote:
not exactly correct but generally correct for instance a carbon tube would be very bad don't use a carbon tube just about anything else though is fine
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Last edited by jcdfrd; Apr 27, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,481 Posts
Yes of course, but hopefully everyone knows about metal and carbon by this point. It's worth noting however that white fiberglass or brown phenolic tubes are fine but not black fiberglass as it contains carbon pigment.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Yes of course, but hopefully everyone knows about metal and carbon by this point. It's worth noting however that white fiberglass or brown phenolic tubes are fine but not black fiberglass as it contains carbon pigment.
yah except everyone doesn't know which is why I thought I would mention it
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Hi, Is there any reason why I "can't" use the S Bus plug for the battery conection. All 8ch are taken up and I don't really want to use a Y lead for the battery, It's much neater anyway. Peter.
Peteranthony is offline Find More Posts by Peteranthony